What's new

Japanese Particle that shows FOCUS: -WO(を ) vs. -WA(-は ) Grammar 81

JapaneseLily

後輩
13 Nov 2021
The particle "-wo", usually pronounced "o", is put after the object related to the action of the verb.

That is, it shows the "object direct".

But sometimes, we can use -WA(-は) instead of -WO(を ) in order EMPHASIZE. In such cases, it's still a Direct Object, even if it's at the beginning of the sentence.

Does this sound complicated? Worry not, we'll learn about this in detail in this easy-to-understand video.

I watched from start to finish and I enjoyed it. I'm at about level 2 JPLT, so I could understand all your Japanese. Usually listening to Japanese, I understand 80%, and it was nice to get 100%.

I often use grammar words in Japanese when I teach English, but I didn't know the word 取り立て助詞. I wonder if most Japanese do! I've realised most students know the words 名詞, 動詞, 形容詞, and so on, but often they don't really know what they mean (I spent time trying to explain in Japanese to a student that "like" in English is a verb, but it's an adjective in Japanese, and that led me to explaining what verbs and adjectives are). Anyway, it'll be nice to have that word, 助詞, rather than just saying 「は」とか「が」みたいな言葉, as I have been for years.
I'll check your channel out.

I haven't studied Japanese in years, but just coincidentally registered for a lesson starting next week. I can speak well enough, but I'd like to get it to the next level, which would be almost never pulling out my dictionary.

I watched from start to finish and I enjoyed it. I'm at about level 2 JPLT, so I could understand all your Japanese. Usually listening to Japanese, I understand 80%, and it was nice to get 100%.

I often use grammar words in Japanese when I teach English, but I didn't know the word 取り立て助詞. I wonder if most Japanese do! I've realised most students know the words 名詞, 動詞, 形容詞, and so on, but often they don't really know what they mean (I spent time trying to explain in Japanese to a student that "like" in English is a verb, but it's an adjective in Japanese, and that led me to explaining what verbs and adjectives are). Anyway, it'll be nice to have that word, 助詞, rather than just saying 「は」とか「が」みたいな言葉, as I have been for years.
I'll check your channel out.

I haven't studied Japanese in years, but just coincidentally registered for a lesson starting next week. I can speak well enough, but I'd like to get it to the next level, which would be almost never pulling out my dictionary.
Thank you very much for your so nice comment. I´m teaching Japanese free in my youtube channel. Still very low level (jlpt 5) but I know they are also useful for more advanced students to remind these things clearly. I am so grateful to know that the person like you so advanced as JLPT 2 watch my video and write me your comment. I will continue upload my videos and little by little the level will go up 💪

取り立て助詞 is a relatively new term. This is named from the function of these particles in modern Japanese. は is classified as 係助詞 (かかりじょし) in 学校文法, which is taught in Japanese school, so this term would be more common.

学校文法 is based on 国文法, and 国文法 was originally made to analyze classical/ancient Japanese literature. Japanese students need to learn classical Japanese, so 学校文法 is necessary. That's why 取り立て助詞 is not so common among Japanese people. On the other hand, most non-native learners of Japanese don't need to learn classical Japanese, so the term 取り立て助詞 is more useful for them.

This is off-topic, but 係助詞 is important in classical/ancient Japanese since these particles cause a grammatical phenomenon 係り結び. These particles make change the conjugation form of the verb, auxiliary verb or adjective from 終止形 to 連体形 or 已然形 at the end of a sentence. Many Japanese high school students are forced to remember classical 係助詞 ぞ, なむ, や, か, こそ like a magic spell. I still remember it even decades after high school, and, thanks to my teacher, now I understand why the lyrics of a well-known new year song is 松竹立てて門毎に 祝う今日こそ楽しけれ, and not 楽し.:LOL:

取り立て助詞 is a relatively new term. This is named from the function of these particles in modern Japanese. は is classified as 係助詞 (かかりじょし) in 学校文法, which is taught in Japanese school, so this term would be more common.

学校文法 is based on 国文法, and 国文法 was originally made to analyze classical/ancient Japanese literature. Japanese students need to learn classical Japanese, so 学校文法 is necessary. That's why 取り立て助詞 is not so common among Japanese people. On the other hand, most non-native learners of Japanese don't need to learn classical Japanese, so the term 取り立て助詞 is more useful for them.

This is off-topic, but 係助詞 is important in classical/ancient Japanese since these particles cause a grammatical phenomenon 係り結び. These particles make change the conjugation form of the verb, auxiliary verb or adjective from 終止形 to 連体形 or 已然形 at the end of a sentence. Many Japanese high school students are forced to remember classical 係助詞 ぞ, なむ, や, か, こそ like a magic spell. I still remember it even decades after high school, and, thanks to my teacher, now I understand why the lyrics of a well-known new year song is 松竹立てて門毎に 祝う今日こそ楽しけれ, and not 楽し.:LOL:
わああ、すごい😍 詳しい説明、どうもありがとうございます🙏

Back
Top Bottom