What's new

Japanese notations

moyashi

Sempai
Reaction score
hmmm I was wondering if a unified Japanese language notation is wanted.

I'd like to spread the use of more Japanese words in [romaji] Alphabetical lettering since this is of course the Japan forum.

I've tried all BOLD, [brackets], and just interspersed in the sentences.

I'm thinking of going wakaranai [I don't know] or the other way [wakaranai] I don't know.

All body is getting to be a bit of hassel ....

Any body has any opinions about this?

Or just go with the flow for notations?

:confused:

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Unified Japanese notation, sounds like a very good idea!

I have no personal preferences. Since you are teacher: what are your students' preferences or your own experiences as to which method works best?

(Perhaps I'll get finally motivated to resume my nihongo studies, hehe!)

moyashi

Sempai
Reaction score
hehe I teach English not Japanese ..... hmmm ....

I wonder which is easier to read for learners of Japanese?

tosh

先輩
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean by unified Japanese language notation, but stay away from romanjii. It seems to be a bureaucrat's language, (inmy opinion) and has done more to harm the spread of Japanese than anything else.

moyashi

Sempai
Reaction score
:oops: not for streets signs or legal documents

Just for use here on at Japan Forum

Although, That would be an interesting topic to cover. :thumbsup:

samuraitora

先輩
Reaction score
I've tried all BOLD, [brackets], and just interspersed in the sentences.

I'm thinking of going wakaranai [I don't know] or the other way [wakaranai] I don't know.

seems to be the easiest to read and comprehend.

this way the word goes into their head and in the brackets it the explaination. this also lets them use the japanese word.

kinjo

Sempai
Reaction score
I'm with Tosh on this one: "stay away from romaji".
When I was starting out I always thought that the urgings of more experienced learners to only read Japanese in kana or kanji were a little over the top (even verging on being pretentious), but having studied for a couple of years I'm convinced it's the only way.
For travelers who need a few phrases for their trip to Japan the familiar alphabet is the only useful option, but for anyone intending to study above that level using romaji can only be counterproductive in the long run.
The writing system of Japanese is not only intrinsically linked to the language itself but is also perhaps the most fascinating things about the language and therefore something that learners should be encouraged to get into.
Surely a quality site like Japan Forum should avoid using romaji, which seems to be used mainly only by the worst textbooks that are out there. I dont't mean that it should exclude absolute beginners, but rather that it should be showing newcomers to the language how surprisingly easy and rewarding learning kana, kanji can be.
I suppose the written language was the main thing that got me into learning Japanese in the first place, and that makes me a little biased and maybe Ive misunderstood the main point of this thread and responded inappropriately but, hey, I'm still right. Probably.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Point taken, Grza. And welcome to the forum!
:)

Originally posted by grza
For travelers who need a few phrases for their trip to Japan the familiar alphabet is the only useful option, but for anyone intending to study above that level using romaji can only be counterproductive in the long run.
I agree with you on that. On the other hand, we cater to a general audience interested in Japan. That includes the odd anime fan as much as J-experts fluent in Aomori-ben. Besides, we are not primarily focusing on language education. There are other excellent pages in that field we could never even think of competing with. However, being a "reference page" our aim is to help visitors finding these resources.

We offer the Nihongo Lounge mainly as discussion forum - discussing Japanese and discussing in Japanese.

The writing system of Japanese is not only intrinsically linked to the language itself but is also perhaps the most fascinating things about the language and therefore something that learners should be encouraged to get into.
If this forum - owing to its dedicated and experienced members - succeeds in encouraging people to study Japanese more seriously, well, what more could we ask for?

Surely a quality site like Japan Forum should avoid using romaji, which seems to be used mainly only by the worst textbooks that are out there. I dont't mean that it should exclude absolute beginners, but rather that it should be showing newcomers to the language how surprisingly easy and rewarding learning kana, kanji can be.
Thanks for your kind words, they do mean a lot! Beginners definitely shouldn't be scared away, which is also the reason I don't want to be restrictive in regard to romaji use. Encouragement yes, ivory tower no!
;)

I suppose the written language was the main thing that got me into learning Japanese in the first place, and that makes me a little biased and maybe Ive misunderstood the main point of this thread and responded inappropriately but, hey, I'm still right. Probably.
Not inappropriate at all, I am very grateful for your feedback. We still have to further discuss this topic, we're certainly open to suggestions. Thanks again.

samuraitora

先輩
Reaction score
I am agreeing with Grza and Thomas. The only reason I would not want this to be a site in japanese...I can't read japanese characters at work. I don't have the authority to modify my computer's settings either.

moyashi

Sempai
Reaction score
[Romazi] (romanized characters) are not English letters. hehe ... well, that's what my 3 classes of jr. High school students tell me. Last week I told my classes to write their names in English on their finals. Several of them said that they could write English. I slapped myself on the forhead and then said "well, right your name in [romaji] then." They replied, "oh ... ok" .... doh.

hmmm .... while writting mostly in English using square brackets seems to make easier reading. and/or switching to no brackets once a word has been introduced might be good.

Japan basically has 5 written alphabets::: kanji, hiragan, katakana, and 2 types of romaji (hepburn and kunreishiki)

Writting all in Japanese in a specialized forum definitely would be good, but for those who don't have language packs installed that would make reading most of the forums difficult. Although, I too think that romaji should only be used at the first week level, but ...