What's new

Japanese mods?

One more question: Why is it that other nationalities outside of the US and Europe are hugely underrepresented in the moderation team? I think I will install a more palatable moderation team by a coup d'etat.:box:

Many are asked to join staff.....

many say "no thanks". I refused for 2 years before I gave in.

Uncle Frank

many say "no thanks". I refused for 2 years before I gave in.

Uncle Frank

Hmmm. I was never asked.:eek:

The team is hardly representative of the population here. It does seem like certain nationalities are preferred in the team, but maybe the admin should actively seek other nationalities. Or do you mean, like, others besides Europeans and Americans all refuse?

Mods and the like are chosen by the rest of the staff and a general agreement is decided on by the majority of yeahs or nays. Mod positions come around when either a person decides to leave or admin think that because of the size of the forum and the amount of people who post, more are needed to moderate. Nationality is not considered really. The reason so many appear to be from the US or Europe is because a majority of the members are from Europe or the US, plus the lingua franca on the forum is English and thus the choice more a mod would be someone who is fluent in English. Again this is going to reflect on members from Europe or North America. If the nationality was more balanced towards Asia or Africa then the choice of mods would relect that, same with the language. I'm sure on a forum in Spanish that most of the mods would be from South/Central America and Spain.

That also has a point, but the underrepresented "others" are not negligible in number. See the poll results?

The problem is the unacknowledged favoritism on the part of the mod who is in a position that requires the disinterested exercise of arbitration. This forum lacks efforts at balance. Dominance hurts the diversity.

If the poll can be considered accurate only 5.14% of the members here are from Japan.

NANGI

....is listed as a Japanese moderator and tutor here on the forum, how many Japanese moderators do you think are necessary here?

Particularly in relationship to the number of mod's that are from other countries.

While I personally have had issues and disagreements with moderators here in the past, I think they are doing a fair and balanced job.

I have moved Diceke's posts to a seperate thread as this discussion is completely unrelated to Dutch Baka's promotion to admin. Let me add that staying on topic is specifically covered by our Forum Rules. Furthermore, no one here at the Japan Forum is "underrepresented" or "dominated by others", because our members do just represent themselves, and not their "nation", "culture", "race", "ethnicity", or whatever. Likewise, there is no "lack of balance". Quite similar to life offline, the way you are treated here is directly related to the way you treat others.

As Mycernius has already pointed out so eloquently team members are chosen for their interpersonal skills and knowledge, not for their origin. I do not even know the ethnical background of most of our team members.

I apologise for bursting the conspiratorial bubble, but there is no "unacknowledged favouritism" here at the Japan Forum. Irrational, disrespectful, trollish and/or abrasive behaviour will prompt a ban wherever you are from.

Hmmm. I was never asked.:eek:

I'm sure you can understand that a person who is quite new, is far more likely than not, not going to come up for consideration. The length of time and degree of activity on JREF, and as has already been pointed out anyway, attitude and personality, are all to be taken into consideration.

diceke said:
It does seem like certain nationalities are preferred in the team, but maybe the admin should actively seek other nationalities.

Admin 1 has already carefully and correctly--in my opinion--answered this, yet I reason that it would be good to add that care should be taken not to read too much into a statement or particular circumstance.

If you hang out here long enough, and prove yourself one who considers the welfare of the entire JREF forum, then you may very well be brought up for a moderating position ! :)

Particularly in relationship to the number of mod's that are from other countries.
While I personally have had issues and disagreements with moderators here in the past, I think they are doing a fair and balanced job.
The mods I agree are doing a fine job. Now if there was a position of Japanese admin that would be a different story....that, in my view, would largely have prevented the horrible conflicts of the last few years, leading to the current state of relative apathy and decimated membership. :eek:

But it isn't a criticism exactly because I completely understand the argument no one is available, "in waiting" who has the promise of being groomed for such a title.

@diceke : Any suggestions besides yourself ?
😊

Stop looking for a conspiracy by attempting to dissect the demographia of the current Mod team. There isn't one.

If you hang out here long enough, and prove yourself one who considers the welfare of the entire JREF forum, then you may very well be brought up for a moderating position !
It's not as if I want to be one. (When did I beg for it, nice gaijin?):eek:

The general tendency here is to take the pre-existing selection of mods as balanced without acknowledging certain inclinations, but this doesn't result in fair moderation, it may even lead to an uneven dispensation of judgment.

What about introducing nationality quotas, for example? ☝

It's not as if I want to be one. (When did I beg for it, nice gaijin?):eek:
The general tendency here is to take the pre-existing selection of mods as balanced without acknowledging certain inclinations, but this doesn't result in fair moderation, it may even lead to an uneven dispensation of judgment.

You read too much into MM's post there Diceke. He tried to pass on some information to you, to tell you something without being blunt.

The admin here among others have pointed things out rather clearly as well. You know if you dont like the situation you have from how I see it 3options.
1. Start your own board where you can decide who gets to be a mod.
2. Let it go.
3. Stop posting here.

Wakey, wakey!

FYI Just because a members lastest activity is last month it doesnt mean that was necessarily the last time they were on line or checking things out here.

Wakey wakey back at you.:)

Last edited:
It's not as if I want to be one. (When did I beg for it, nice gaijin?)
When you wrote the folllowing;
Hmmm. I was never asked.
What else could anyone read into that and your other posts.
Sounds like you are lobbying for a Mod position here.

Last edited:
To the Mods and Admin...

One question here......
Is adding a moderator based upon nationality actually being considered, based on diceke's recent comments?

Or is this a purely rhetorical thread?

If it is the latter and who should be added as a mod purely as a discussion like the You Should Be Banned Because ..

Then I would make the suggestion that since under the currrent membership Japanese members are covered nicely by Nangi, there are only 63 Japanese members, while there 174 from Asia outside of Japan and not including, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, or Nepal.

Heck more members are from Canada, 72, than Japan, should I fight for a Canadian moderator? I think not.

If other people get taken on as mods this board is going to end up with all forum leaders and no members. Not a lot of fun.

(edit; I confused the joining date with the last posting date ... wow)

I do like the other ones, so I will keep that in mind when the time is there again to have new/extra mods.

I think you are here long enough, when you post quality posts, can communicate well with the other members, know enough about Japan to advice, know the forum, etc.

Last edited:
No offence, but did you see his joining date?

I do like the other ones, so I will keep that in mind when the time is there again to have new/extra mods.
NANGI is now only sporadically active, unfortunately, but does seem to check in every two months or so. Regardless, he saw himself always as only a Japanese language TUTOR in the Japanese learning and Nihongo subfora. Rarely if ever doing routine forum maintaninence things traditionally carried out by the mods. Creating another position in that capacity and taking advantage of their language skills or other cultural knowledge makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than appointing a token general mod primarily to take advantage of that member's nationality.

I'm betting the ones listed above would refuse an offer in any case.

(edit; I confused the joining date with the last posting date ... wow)

I think you are here long enough, when you post quality posts, can communicate well with the other members, know enough about Japan to advice, know the forum, etc.
Ah! and don't forget misa.j!

In your opinion, how long is long enough to qualify?

Yes, diceke, as a minimum, I'd say 18 months inclusive of all the other points I had made along with those that Dutch Baka has stated, as well as the nuances that Admin 1 has presented. It's a whole package that has to be met; we can say.

Back
Top Bottom