What's new

Japanese Mobile phones in Australia

Derekuma

先輩
5 Jan 2007
I work in both Australia & Japan.

I would like to buy a mobile phone that will work in both countries.

Preferably a Japanese phone,.. ( Australian phones still have a round dialer on them) and bring it back to Australia & put my Oz sim card in it.

I know very little about the topic however I have read all about modes & bands, WCDMA , GSM, PDC - 900 - 1800 Mhz,.. & have become drowned in too much info...

can anyone speak from experience, to advise if it is possible or what to do please..

I'm not sure if any Japanese mobile phones come with GSM in them. GSM is the system in use in Australia (and the vast majority of the world), WCDMA is the standard system in Japan. It is rare for a phone to have both systems in them. In fact the only one I'm aware of is the Nokia N93, but there may be others.

If anyone else wants to know this is the info I have gathered ...

from Telstra...."Provided the Japanese handset is not network locked and is compatible with Australia's
national frequency, the handset should work within Australia, although it does depend on
each individual handset and therefore there is no guarantee that it will. But in most cases
it should be fine. Usually a Tri-Band phone will be compatible as it is built to accommodate
multiple frequencies to handle different networks and countries.

If you purchase an Australian handset, it is conversely the same, as long as the frequency
is compatible with Japan's carrier's frequency and that no network locks are in place...."

"3G data services used while roaming overseas is charged at $0.015 per kB for all data used including upload and download with a $0.50 flag
fall for each data session initiated by your service. Video telephony and 3G data are available to a growing list of countries. You can also
continue to use your Telstra 3G service with over 300 roaming partners in over 140 countries for voice and SMS."

Back
Top Bottom