What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Japanese Listening Practice

Imposter253

先輩
Reaction score
I'm a self-studying student at this point studying for the 1球日本語野力試験 (a romantic ideal, i know) and I'm looking for good material for ear-training. Should I go the normal route of listening to anime without subs and trying to translate j-(insert genre here) by ear or should I go another route, and if so, what would that route look like? Thank you for all your continued support.

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
You've got a couple of wrong kanji in there: 1日本語力試験. 能 is のう, not の (野).

I think Japanese movies and shows with Japanese subtitles are good for ear-training, because you get to see what they're actually saying so that if you mishear something you have something to fall back on. When you feel like you're starting to get the readings and all down, take away the subtitles. You could also quiz yourself by getting a sentence you think you can handle, listening to it while reading the subtitles, and then repeating it to yourself until you remember it. Then try going back and listening without the subtitles. I wouldn't suggest doing that all the time, but it certainly helps. The only problem with this is that Japanese shows with Japanese subtitles can be hard to find (Chinese, on the other hand, is much easier to study with this method. They subtitle everything).

Of course don't forget to continue studying the kanji, grammar, and vocab (you almost have to if you're going to be using real Japanese). That probably goes without saying, but hearing it one more time won't hurt.

Oh, if you enjoy the news or can at least take it without being bored to death, try ANN News from Asahi TV. They do a good job of making the script match the announcers, so you can check your listening with it.

Imposter253

先輩
Reaction score
I will try that (along with of course studying my heart out). Thank you for your recommendation.

Top Bottom