What's new

Japanese learning resources along side university course

Shutainzu

後輩
28 Feb 2017
So I'm currently studying Japanese at University here in the United Kingdom. The material we are learning is quite useful however we only get many three or four grammar points a week along side speaking and listening practice and newspaper translation. Three to four grammar points are quite easy to learn within a week to be honest so what I want to do along side is learn more grammar points and vocabulary.

So does anyone know what resources are good to use to teach along side?

Currently I'm trying Minna Nihongo for vocabulary and grammar points and Japanese manga for useful kanji and words as well. I have a Japanese girlfriend so I'm able to ask her stuff and also practice the speaking part but I also want to challenge myself more so any handy resources people can link for someone who has already began Japanese.

Thanks for posting the "minna no hihongo" , never heard of it. There is a free download of it on the net.

Last edited:
Yeah, I always forgot the no ^^;

I would suggest developing the habit of being diligently attentive to such things now, while there is relatively little that you have to deal with, rather than seeking to get ahead of the program by cramming more stuff into your head in a hurry. Learning Japanese isn't a race or a contest and it isn't going to disappear before you have had a chance to learn it. Build your foundation carefully.

I had the same situation at university, the pace was really slow. While my class working through Genki 2 I dove right into Tobira (great book!)/ I also made it a point to watch Japanese shows with Japanese subs and research the grammar points I didn't understand.

I don't know what your level is but NHK News Easy is always fun. There's also a series of books called "Read Real Japanese" but I haven't tried it.

I had the same situation at university, the pace was really slow. While my class working through Genki 2 I dove right into Tobira (great book!)/ I also made it a point to watch Japanese shows with Japanese subs and research the grammar points I didn't understand.

I don't know what your level is but NHK News Easy is always fun. There's also a series of books called "Read Real Japanese" but I haven't tried it.
Is the Genki actuslly a good book, I haven't tried it yet.

I would suggest developing the habit of being diligently attentive to such things now, while there is relatively little that you have to deal with, rather than seeking to get ahead of the program by cramming more stuff into your head in a hurry. Learning Japanese isn't a race or a contest and it isn't going to disappear before you have had a chance to learn it. Build your foundation carefully.

That is the one thing I get marked down for slightly is missing the No's in the sections I'm meant to use them, other than that I'm stoll scoring 75% and above which is a first so I still feel like what I know is enough to confidently search other methods of self teaching. I'm going into my second year this September and go on my year abroad next september so I want to make sure my Japanese is as good as possible for that to make the year abroad easier.

Back
Top Bottom