What's new

Japanese introduction speech help for an English Teacher

Trigg

Registered
24 Aug 2015
Hi all!

I am currently applying for a job teaching English in Japan, and one of the tasks is to introduce myself to the Japanese teachers at the school. It's basically a test in beginner Japanese. I have worked out most of my speech, but as I know next to no Japanese (complete beginner), I would greatly appreciate it if someone who does know Japanese can check it is ok for me, and maybe alter it if some of the wording is wrong? As I have done it by myself. Also, I want to add an extra bit (where I have written "Insert Here") but do not know enough Japanese to translate this in speech, and I feel that it would be pointless getting a garbled machine translation.

If anyone has the spare time, It would be a great assistance to me if someone coul go through this a correct it for me. Thanks!

Japanese: Konnichiwa Minna-san! Watashi wa Trigg Matthew des, watashi wa eigo. Watashi ha suki hon, anime to bideo geimu. (Insert here) Watashi wa tanoshinoshitemasu goruden weiku, comiket anime expo, eto taberu daifuku ichigo. Yoroshkun gozaishimasu!

English: Good afternoon, everyone! My name is Matthew Trigg, I'm english. I like books, anime and video games. (insert here) I am looking forward to Golden week, Comiket anime expo and eating daifuku strawberries. Please take care of me!

Want to add (insert here) - I often reviewed and improved my friends' essays at University, and help them with spelling correction, grammar and the correct wording in sentence structure. I am also writing a light novel series.

Many Thanks!

Matthew Trigg

Hi Mathew,

A self introduction in Japan is actually very stylized and, for the most part, uses a bunch of set phrases.

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine your bosses will be far more impressed if you are able to conform to the basic social contract, rather than be imaginative. I would think that they want to see that you know how to be appropriate, and a huge part of that is just knowing what IS appropriate in a particular culture.

Do a search for jikoshokai in Google.

Have tons of fun, it's an enjoyable exercise in learning a bit of Japanese as well as culture.

"Eigo" is the English language :). Use "eikokujin" for "person from the UK".

Also, word order in Japanese is completely different from English, so you can't translate a sentence by just replacing the individual words.

If they require Japanese ability for the job and you have none, why did you apply for it?

I sort of doubt they really expect you to display any Japanese proficiency.

Don't do anything more than say good morning. You clearly will make a fool of yourself. As lanthas wrote, you can't just insert what you think are Japanese words into an English sentence. You also need to use the correct words.

If you are introducing yourself to Japanese teachers of English, they will understand most of what you say in English, so tell them that way. What your nationality is, where you are from (exactly), what you studied in college, what your hobbies are. I have no idea why you would want to say you are looking forward to Golden Week, and don't EVER tell them about any interests you may have in anime or manga.

Get some language training regardless. I don't know how they hired you if you can't speak the most basic of Japanese. What school/company is this anyway?

Amen.

If I were conducting the interviews and had a choice between a guy who raised one cheek and unabashedly let rip with a big juicy fart and somebody who wanted to talk about his interest in Japanese cartoons or comic books....quite honestly I'd pick the guy who shared his methane.

Can't edit my last message, so insert this at the end:
I don't know how they hired you --> I don't know how you expect them to hire you

I remember when I used to work as an ALT that I had to give a short self-introduction to all the teachers and board of education. My Japanese wasn't very well at that time so I just kept it short and simple, especially when I had to introduce myself towards the whole group.

Just say your name, where your from, and 1 thing you like (indeed I wouldn't say anime) ending with something like yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

Hi all!

I am currently applying for a job teaching English in Japan, and one of the tasks is to introduce myself to the Japanese teachers at the school. It's basically a test in beginner Japanese. I have worked out most of my speech, but as I know next to no Japanese (complete beginner), I would greatly appreciate it if someone who does know Japanese can check it is ok for me, and maybe alter it if some of the wording is wrong? As I have done it by myself. Also, I want to add an extra bit (where I have written "Insert Here") but do not know enough Japanese to translate this in speech, and I feel that it would be pointless getting a garbled machine translation.

If anyone has the spare time, It would be a great assistance to me if someone coul go through this a correct it for me. Thanks!

Japanese: Konnichiwa Minna-san! Watashi wa Trigg Matthew des, watashi wa eigo. Watashi ha suki hon, anime to bideo geimu. (Insert here) Watashi wa tanoshinoshitemasu goruden weiku, comiket anime expo, eto taberu daifuku ichigo. Yoroshkun gozaishimasu!

English: Good afternoon, everyone! My name is Matthew Trigg, I'm english. I like books, anime and video games. (insert here) I am looking forward to Golden week, Comiket anime expo and eating daifuku strawberries. Please take care of me!

Want to add (insert here) - I often reviewed and improved my friends' essays at University, and help them with spelling correction, grammar and the correct wording in sentence structure. I am also writing a light novel series.

Many Thanks!

Matthew Trigg

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I am not trying to insult you!

I have no idea about the hiring process for this particular company, but if basic Japanese ability is required, I would be really surprised if you would pull it off. Imagine the situation: there is a time before and after the speech where you will have to manage yourself in terms of communication. If you find it hard to create the basic sentences without grammatical errors, what will you do if they ask you a question that you did not prepare? Or how will you ask anything yourself?

Back
Top Bottom