What's new

Japanese Ink Wash Painting (2 Hanko Seals and Calligraphy)

321antiques

後輩
27 Mar 2015
Could someone translate the two red seals and calligraphy on my painting?
I'm hoping to find out the artist, title, origin, and a date.
I believe this is a Japanese painting. Thank you kindly!
$_3.JPG
$_3.JPG
$_3 (1).JPG
$_3 (2).JPG

初出
峽口
壬戍
前月
王さゆさん

....still working on this....

Last edited:
Well thank you. All I could find was the reverse hanko is the name seal and the calligraphy is cursive. But in all honesty its a needle in a haystack. I recently had a woodblock print by Ando Hiroshige and was able to identify after 8 hours of research. Thanks again!

Give us time. I almost certainly got some of that wrong.

I'm guessing the right-hand bottom character in the second seal may be 桐

I think the middle section is a calendar reference. 壬戌 ← 壬戌 - Wikipedia
And if that is the case, I'm tempted to say the next two are a lunar reference. Maybe 葉月 (August) or 霜月 (November), but the leading kanji looks a bit too different from either of those options...and that dampens my confidence somewhat. The last three, which Mike has suggest as 王さゆさん looks to me to be more like 王布袋, but again, neither of those two options means anything to me - although 布袋 (Hotei) is the name of one of the 7 lucky gods Budai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and that might have some significance - but again, my confidence is not very high on this. Hiragana feels (to me) to be out of place on there, and さゆさん (sayusan) feels equally strange. Whatever the last three (or more) letters are, I would guess they are the name of the artist, since the final word "作" means "the work of" or, more simply, "by".

So taking all of these half-educated guesses and wild-*** guess together, the inscription might be something like
View of the Xia-kou gorge, August(?) 1922 (or 1982, or 1862, etc...). By Ou Hotei (or Ou Sayusan, etc...).

Looking again at this - what I thought was 葉月 or 霜月 might be 若月 (crescent, or waxing crescent moon, or the third day of the month in Chinese lunar calendars).

wow.thank you very much for your insight. do you also specialize in Chinese?.. I have a beautiful blue and White porcelain dragon bowl but appears to have a 5 character seal which is very puzzling to me

Haha, my "specialty" (if you can call it that) is Japanese only. Ink paintings are at the event-horizon of my knowledge of Japanese antiques. I only know as much as I can glean from Google. If I can pick out a few characters I can jump on the search engine and look for other clues. I can't tell by the kanji alone if it is Chinese or Japanese. My gut feeling is that the print is Japanese (the use of 作 together with the two hanko marks "feels" Japanese to me, but I can't offer you any deeper analysis than that very unscientific, unqualified gut feeling). The location of 峽口 should be a dead giveaway, but again, the search results were all over the place, with no one thing jumping out at me. It could be a Japanese print "in the style of" a Chinese classical print. It could be a Japanese artist who is inspired by a Chinese location or poem or something.

If you start another thread with your white porcelain bowl we can have a go at that as well.

Back
Top Bottom