What's new

Japanese girls and brand bags

kjlhhjhj

Registered
10 Sep 2007
Would you pay $1000's for a designer bag?

I love buying shoes and bags, but I am quite happy with a bag that is 1/10th of the price of LV or Gucci. Besides, I see hundreds of girls carrying the same bag (or some poor souls even have fake ones) - why would I want to have a bag everyone else has?? (see photo below)

Designer fashion is so important to Japanese girls alot of them use nearly their whole salary (or parents' money) to keep up-to-date. I don't know about other countries, but in New Zealand we don't care about designer brands so much. Yeah, we drool over them in Cosmo but we don't put ourselves into debt for them.

What do you think about this trend? If they want to pay for designer stuff it's their decision right? I just think your priorities are a bit twisted if you're 30 and still live at home...

anyway I believe it's possible to be stylish without resorting to major designer labels....😌

Attachments

• 201536083329635440.jpg
    201536083329635440.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 205195258024275506.jpg
    205195258024275506.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 286541526292254768.jpg
    286541526292254768.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 294141350662745010.jpg
    294141350662745010.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 297237575406960044.jpg
    297237575406960044.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 143
>$1000's
Sounds like a cheap bag. You probably mean 10,000's.

Japanese are not individualistic. Trends are much more important than in many other cultures. If something is becoming popular, everybody wants it. If it's expensive, that's even better. The higher the price of a good is, the higher its quality is assumed to be.

I think it's just their choice about how they want to spend their money. Say a certain bag costs 100,000 yen. If you spread it over a year, that's about 2,000 yen per week. How many people spend that much on other luxuries -- going out to dinner, going out for lunch, going to the movies, going to bars, smoking, getting premium coffee drinks from Starbucks, whatever? A Vuitton bag doesn't necessarily mean that the girl carrying it is mooching off her parents or in debt (although maybe she is), it could just be that she's careful about her budget in other areas of her life.

These generic clones (or humans) are good for business but, do they even know what their buying? It even seems like any sort of Asian knows about the brand or quality but just blindy buy these because its popular and expensive. In Europe their are quite a few whom are at least connoisseurs of some sort or care about the work put into these items.

>$1000's

Japanese are not individualistic. Trends are much more important than in many other cultures. If something is becoming popular, everybody wants it. If it's expensive, that's even better. The higher the price of a good is, the higher its quality is assumed to be.

If he's talking dollars, then he means $1,000.

Yeah that stuff happens in America too. I would never let my wife spend $1000 on a purse, nor would she be foolish enough to do such a thing, but she has gone up to about $200 in the past. If I spend that much on something.. it better have a processor, wireless internet, and a built in harddrive!

Some young women in Europe want to spend much money on their wedding.
I don't know if they claim their country is in Europe or not, but I don't think it is a crime to adore the celebrity style for commoners.

1000 years ago, it was impossible for ordinary women to wear the 12-layered ceremonial kimono here.
Now the kimono is getting popular after Fujiwara Norika wore one in her wedding.
20070217_312120-1.jpg

Most (expensive) things in Asia are status symbols, from my own observation, they don't have much emotional connection with item, only knowing it makes them better than anyone else.

I have never been able to empathise with the love of designer stuff.
It has no attraction for me at all.
It's people's choice how they spend their money, and if they like it, up to them, although it's not what I would choose.
People going into debt for it, though, I just think is stupid. But if someone have the money to pay for it, and that's what they want...
Mostly though, those bags, I don't even like the styling.

Bags in Japan, it's something like "You should have it, otherwise you are not cool
".

I am not sure about the figures, but I am pretty sure that over 90% of all the women over 18 years old have a L.V. bag from over more than 30/80.000 yen.

My wife used to be like that, when she was younger (we still have a lot of bags laying in our house that are over 40.000 yen... ) I asked her once why do you have so many expensive bags, and she replied to me that it wasn't that expensive, and then she pointed to some bags the girls on the street had under their arms, telling me they were even more expensive.

It's a weird, thing... a Japanese thing... however I've heard this kind of things are happening in Taiwan, and Korea as well. Maybe not with this price range, but I think it does happen with things that are so called: Trendy, hip.

I'm happy with an eastpak.

😌

Don't hang me but, all this bag stuff won't help getting rid of the "All Asians are the same" tag either if they are all too happy to conform.

Devil's advocate

Those girls probably have the same feeling about the bags as some guys have about BMWs, Lexuses, corvettes, etc. But we taste-nazis all know the guys should just be driving Hyundais, right? After all, it gets you from point A to point B at less cost. Wrong! They should all be riding bicycles to save the environment. And not one of those $1,000 or more Cannondales, a $100mama chari would work just as well. 😊
Well, at least the girls didn't take out loans for homes that they could ill afford and become delinquent on payments, thereby unwittingly bringing a risk of recession to the world's leading economy. Most of them paid cash money (no matter where it came from :eek:). But hey! It's their cash. Who are you to judge? ☝

Those girls probably have the same feeling about the bags as some guys have about BMWs, Lexuses, corvettes, etc. But we taste-nazis all know the guys should just be driving Hyundais, right? After all, it gets you from point A to point B at less cost. Wrong! They should all be riding bicycles to save the environment. And not one of those $1,000 or more Cannondales, a $100mama chari would work just as well. 😊
Well, at least the girls didn't take out loans for homes that they could ill afford and become delinquent on payments, thereby unwittingly bringing a risk of recession to the world's leading economy. Most of them paid cash money (no matter where it came from :eek:). But hey! It's their cash. Who are you to judge? ☝

About the thing about cars. I think that a guy at least loves his car (usually) and knows whats up with it, rather than keep changing it as soon as Mr Smith gets an upgrade.

But hey! It's their cash. Who are you to judge? ☝

Some people are too stupid to be trusted with their own money sometimes. What if they get in debt, neglect their other responsibilties, cause social problems (selling their ***) and spreading general ignorance who's going to bail them out? Well i dont know, but this sure is sad.

About the thing about cars. I think that a guy at least loves his car (usually) and knows whats up with it, rather than keep changing it as soon as Mr Smith gets an upgrade.
Some people are too stupid to be trusted with their own money sometimes. What if they get in debt, neglect their other responsibilties, cause social problems (selling their ***) and spreading general ignorance who's going to bail them out? Well i dont know, but this sure is sad.

Non sequitur. Your answer is non-coordinated. Please re-read what I had written and reconsider your response . 😊

The bag thing and being "cool" or fashionable is something I could never, for the life of me, comprehend.

inertia said:
I think it's just their choice about how they want to spend their money. Say a certain bag costs 100,000 yen. If you spread it over a year, that's about 2,000 yen per week. How many people spend that much on other luxuries -- going out to dinner, going out for lunch, going to the movies, going to bars, smoking, getting premium coffee drinks from Starbucks, whatever? A Vuitton bag doesn't necessarily mean that the girl carrying it is mooching off her parents or in debt (although maybe she is), it could just be that she's careful about her budget in other areas of her life.
You have a point. A Very good, logical perspective from a woman and it does make sense. Thanks.

As long as she is careful about the budget in other areas of her life as you mentioned that would be ok, but a fair amount of Japanese women spend tremendous amounts of yen not only on name brand bags, but on name brand scarves, makeup, toiletries, lingerie, clothes, sunglasses, etc. Some even spend most of their entire paychecks in trying to keep up with the fashions and go into real serious debt just to be fashionable and "cool". Although they did look like models, these types of materialistic Japanese women turned me completely off.

Besides, most of the bags you see are probably cheap knockoffs made in China and are made of vinyl anyway. Who would pay such a high price for a couple of initials on vinyl, clothes, or plastic sunglasses, and why? Is looking "cool", or rich, or fashionable so important that one must spend ungodly amounts of money on them in order to make an impression? I still can not grasp the concept or reason behind it other than materialism. Am i I wrong here?

Men are no exception either when it comes to these things. As Dave and a few others mentioned, you will not be considered "cool" if you do not have them. Well I guess I wasn't "cool" in Japan, but it did not prevent me from meeting the opposite sex!

Well im male, yet i don't give a damn about cars, they're only to transport me, sure i find a BMW or a Volvo or something of quality nice, but i didn't even get a license yet cause my parents will drive me anywhere, and i don't feel like showing off driving my parents' car... but, i do find it more logical to be attached to a car than to show off your bag. A bag will remain a bag no matter how much you spend on it, but if you buy a better, more expensive car it will probably be faster, safer, more reliable than a cheap one, but you can't say that about a bag.

>$1000's

Japanese are not individualistic.
This is one of the typical american stereotypes about japanese. Yes, Japanese are more group oriented than americans, but not more than for example scandinavians. There are many individualistic persons in Japan.

Some japanese girls are really into fashion, but most are not. My wife for example would newer waste money on a brand bag. She finds that carrying a LV or Chanel bag signals shallowness. When she has 1000 $ to spare she will certainly rather spend it on a plane ticket than a bag!

I am not sure about the figures, but I am pretty sure that over 90% of all the women over 18 years old have a L.V. bag from over more than 30/80.000 yen.

My wife used to be like that, when she was younger (we still have a lot of bags laying in our house that are over 40.000 yen... ) I asked her once why do you have so many expensive bags, and she replied to me that it wasn't that expensive, and then she pointed to some bags the girls on the street had under their arms, telling me they were even more expensive.

So true. My host family is normal class from what I can see, but at home, all I see in the storage room are LV, Channel, Prada, you name them shopping bags, and then all of a sudden I see mom wearing a Gucci bag, then I go to the mall with her only to find out that she just spent over ツ??0,000 on a Burberry shirt.

Honestly, I like brand goods, yes, I have shop counterfeit and have spent some money on original things, but not so much as Japanese people.

On topic. I never could have imagined how brands are sooo important here in Japan. When I first came to Japan, some exchannge organization volunteers were waiting for me at the airport and the first thing a girl said to me was "Oh, I like that brand" when she saw my jacket.
Then on the first day of school, many girls were talking while looking at me and one of them said, "Wow, you are really rich" when they saw a (phoney) brand belt. I just couldn't stop laughing and just went along. The funny thing was that this girl had a Channel wallet.But yeah, very superficial. It is like every day these girls want to check what I am wearing. I find it quite comical.

Another thing, is not only girls whoare obsessed with this, but also guys. It is very common seeing guys with women LV wallets on their backpockets, I think it is just to show off, because those large wallets are pretty easy to stral and I would never think of having a women's wallet on my back.

Mauricio

I like Burberry goods a lot and would be willing to pay a lot of money for them, I think. I think a lot of designer bags are tacky or nothing special though... I guess if you have as much disposable income as a typical Japanese woman what else will you do buy buy ridiculous bags eh?

Back
Top Bottom