What's new

Japanese garden find

19 Apr 2002
I have always had an interest in Japanese gardens due to there great detail, hard work involved, and the pleasing effect it has on the eyes.🙂

Here's one I found recently in the most unusual place, Antrim Nr. Ireland, I will at some stage visit this garden and let you all know if it's up to scratch lol, (yah as if I would know hehe)😄

I hope you enjoy the scenery!🙂

That's a nice garden, Debs. I see you're turning into a real Japan aficionado.
:)

There's a Japanese garden in Vienna too, Setagaya Park. It has just been redesigned a few years ago.

Cool, not bad. The Fujiyama Garden looks pretty close considering the guy had no experience doing this before.

Japanese Gardens, to minuiturize and copy nature but yet your copy has to seem unitentionaly. So, intentionaly making soemthing unitentionaly. :)

I would love to have one myself too someday.

Japanese gardens are gems. As you said, they are so intentionally unintentional that they are already naturally unnatural. Japanese gardens aren't places for recreation, but for admiration.
;)

My wife's grandfather has such a garden. It needs a lot of dedication and daily care.

@ deborah
do you like bonsai? cause i found a very funny site... ;)

lovely sites!!🙂 (but I don't get the crashed car usage!)

And yes, Olivia, I love bonsai😄 . I have one at home years ago in my bedroom, and it took pride of place on the window, it was miniature and cute!😌

One of my brothers, who was intoxicated one night, got locked out of our home(he lost his key). I am fond of my beauty sleep(hehe) well my Dad used to call me Tutankhamon (sorry my spelling is so terrible, he is an Egyptian mummy). When I went to sleep, I did not awaken very easily, so my brother climbed up the drain pipe, climbed onto the window ledge, and then fell in the window, right on top of my bonsai, he split then the main stem in two, and had managed to squash half of it, I was furious the next morning when I woke up,😭 the tree had been bought to me by then my boyfriend, who is now my husband, he purchased it on a trip with his parents, and the chances of me ever having another one is zero.

I am not trying to correct you, just want to make sure everyone knows your point...the king's name is "Tutankhamen"...king tut

dang, that sucks.

You could always go into the country side. Find a small pine tree. Wrap it with wires and start one by yourself.

Hmmm, I wonder if there relly is a special minuture plants that they use?

Originally posted by samuraitora
I am not trying to correct you, just want to make sure everyone knows your point...the king's name is "Tutankhamen"...king tut

While we're at it: it probably was Tutankhamun, formerly known as Tutankh-aton. His father, Amenophis IV. gave Egypt the first monotheistic religion on earth, worshipping the sun god Aton as the one and only God. After his death, the clergy caste did everything to reinstate their power by switching back to the old system: polytheism with Amun as main god. Amenophis must have been a very farsighted person.

I thought the same!
is there an egyptreference.com? :)

kiddin', actually i was an egypt freak when i was a child and yep, you've made a very nice brief description of tutankhamon!!

I have lived there for more than five years and still love the place.

Egyptreference.com, hm..... ;)

Moyashi I never thought of that! Thanks for your tip on a small pine that's a brill idea🙂

@ samuraitora
nkxkoe skjsueie hsuwiqamn, Oh sorry I meant to say thanks! 🙂 👏 😌 please I'm kidding, I couldn't resist it🙂 😍

Found that article on CNN:

Mystery of renowned zen garden revealed

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/09/26/zen.garden.reut/index.html

Thomas that link was sooo perfect, I got a gallery with pics of miniature spruce, white pine ect, and moyashi you are brilliant, what an idea! thank you both🙂 🙂

I went shopping today and every flower store etc. I passed there was an invisible rope pulling me in (hehe) to look at all the miniature potted plants, so I've decided that tomorrow I'm going back to the shops and choosing a plant for my bonsai, hopefully by the time I get it sculptured ect, I will be able to get a pic on the forum,(sister coming here to show me how it's done soon), So who knows I might be the next bonsai master of my country, lol, "cant wait" I feel like a kid getting a new toy, lol.🙂

cool.

I'm sure there has to be a site too that shows how it can be done. Of course, they moan and groan about varities but at least you'll figure out the basics.

Also, don't foget a nice clump of moss.

Ahh, don't forget that a bonsai doesn't need to be only 10cm high. I've seen some up to 30-40cm. Although, the small ones are really cute.

The gardens and appreciation of nature's forms are important things that drew me to Japanese culture.

My grandparents were gardening fanatics, and after my parents were divorced, my mom and I lived with them for a while. Even after we moved out, they still took care of me when my mom worked, so I developed a great appreciation for natural beauty from them.

I especially like bonsai, even though it was originally Chinese. One of my goals is to try my hand at it someday. One interesting aspect of bonsai is penjing, which is miniature landscaping. Here is a website with some very nice examples:

http://www.venuscomm.com/Penjingchoices/samplephotos.html

I like penjing even better than just plain bonsai!

Horticultural standards in Japan are truly amazing. Japanese show a very profound appreciation for the beauties of nature. I like the way my wife admires the coloured leaves in our court yard each and every day in autumn.
;)

What disturbs me about traditional Japanese gardens is their artificiality, they are "too beautiful to be touched". A garden should be more than a mere object of admiration, but that's just a personal opinion.

It's interesting that gardening reflects a culture's approach to nature, think for instance how different typical French or English parks are designed.

Back
Top Bottom