What's new

Japanese Game Script Collaboration/Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

senketsu

I've been playing with a couple of ideas, the first being, to create a website that would become the single point of reference for anyone wishing to read or download a script for a Japanese game.

The past couple of years I've found a scripts for various games on the internet, some complete and others not. Some of these scripts were quite hard to find. 

I've also extracted script's with tools built by other's and by me. If these where all in one place, abit like how "kitsuneko.net" hosts all the Anime subtitles you could possibly want, it could be a great learning tool, especially when coupled with tools like rikai-chan/kun.

The second idea is to create an enviroment in which a group of people who love playing Japanese games could collaborate in-real time, transcribing scripts for there favourite games utilising a service such as google doc's. We could then release these scripts live on the website. I have a raspberry pi and a domain name, in which i could easily spin up a a wordpress site with in no time.

These are all just ideas at the moment, 
I'd love to know if anybody is interested or has any suggestions?

Looking forward to hearing back
biggrin.png
"

Last edited by a moderator:
Your purpose here is to solicit others to engage in intellectual property theft? There are places in the world where soliciting others to join in illegal activity is called "conspiracy" and is a felony. Do you live in one of those? Since, according to your profile, you are 115 years old any jail term would be a life sentence...

Your purpose here is to solicit others to engage in intellectual property theft? There are places in the world where soliciting others to join in illegal activity is called "conspiracy" and is a felony. Do you live in one of those? Since, according to your profile, you are 115 years old any jail term would be a life sentence...

Thats quite a dark twist you've put on it there. If I hadn't found scripts for final fantasy, dragon quest etc.... I would not still be learning japanese now.

Meaning the Japanese PS4,3DS,PS3,PSV, I would never have purchased. All the Japanese games I have purchased and have continued to purchase would have never been purchased. All the manga on my shelf etc.....

The people who took time to transcibe those scripts, do not form sinister gangs nor do they make any money, nor have they actually stolen anything from anyone as no one is missing anything. They do it for the love of the game and to share that with people.

From Theft Act 1968

"(1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and "thief" and "steal" shall be construed accordingly."

If my presence is unwelcome in this forum, fair enough. Delete this thread :)

When it comes to learning Japanese from Japanese games, there's one strategy that doesn't require manual transcription at all: playing visual novels with an automatic text extraction tool attached, such as "ITH" (Interactive Text Hooker) and "VNR" (Visual Novel Reader). These tools grab the subtitle text straight from the game's memory (meaning they're always in sync and always correct) and display it in a separate window from where you can copy-paste it for dictionary lookups. In addition they can display furigana or romaji.

3611535.jpg

Picture1.png
Thank you for the kind suggestion. That is certainly the case for alot of visual novels.

However for example in FFXIII, each indivual message in the game had it's own compression key:value block, which means it needed a tool to uncompress all of the messages. But apart from that, I find i learn better if im writing out the characters.

Thats quite a dark twist you've put on it there. If I hadn't found scripts for final fantasy, dragon quest etc.... I would not still be learning japanese now.

I doubt encouraging you to study Japanese was a prime motivation for the creators of the copyrighted material to invest their time and money in creating it

Meaning the Japanese PS4,3DS,PS3,PSV, I would never have purchased. All the Japanese games I have purchased and have continued to purchase would have never been purchased. All the manga on my shelf etc.....

Irrelevant.

One should be able to steal from Party A because their goods inspired one to purchase products from Party B?

I'm going to start stealing potato chips because they inspire me to buy Coca-Cola to wash them down with.

The people who took time to transcibe those scripts, do not form sinister gangs nor do they make any money, nor have they actually stolen anything from anyone as no one is missing anything. They do it for the love of the game and to share that with people.

All straw men and utterly irrelevant points to the fact that you are engaging in copyright theft... which isn't really my point... and using our site to solicit others to join you in a conspiracy to commit criminal acts...which is my point.

From Theft Act 1968

"(1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and "thief" and "steal" shall be construed accordingly."

Again, irrelevant.

Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

Last edited:
I doubt encouraging you to study Japanese was a prime motivation for the creators of the copyrighted material to invest their time and money in creating it

Irrelevant.

One should be able to steal from Party A because their goods inspired one to purchase products from Party B?

I'm going to start stealing potato chips because they inspire me to buy Coca-Cola to wash them down with.

All straw men and utterly irrelevant points to the fact that you are engaging in copyright theft... which isn't really my point... and using our site to solicit others to join you in a conspiracy to commit criminal acts...which is my point.

Again, irrelevant.

Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988

Well then I shall agree to disagree. Mods, please feel free to delete the thread :)

@senketsu, your presence here is welcome, copyright infringement however isn't.

Locked and left readable for educational purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom