What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Japanese furniture, please help

James8880

後輩
Reaction score
When I lived in Misawa a couple of years ago, I saw some really nice tables that I wanted to buy. I couldn't afford one at the time and I've since moved back to the US. I have been searching all over the internet and I can't find a table like it. It would probably help if I knew what kind of table it was but all I have is a memory of what it looked like.

They were wooden, glossy black or dark red with various scenes carved and painted on the top. Every japanese furniture website I've been able to find has very few tables and they always look the same. Far from what I'm looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-James

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
You're probably looking for furniture with a specific type of finishing which is traditional to the general area you were in, known as "Tsugaru-nuri" (Tsugaru lacquering).

Here is a link to a place with several Tsugaru-nuri items, with some tables down at the bottom. Click on the images for details and prices.

The tables run around three to six thousand bucks....

James8880

後輩
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I don't see a link though, unless you put it on there and it's something web sense is blocking from work.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll look into that.

-James

Top Bottom