What's new

Japanese Flags

William

後輩
22 Nov 2004
I would like to know what the difference is between...

this flag:

ja-lgflag.png

and this one:

F28.png

What exactly do both represent? And are there other ones besides those?

Thanks... :)

I dont know but if I guess flag 1 is the offical flag of Japan and flag 2 is just a flag like the Hitler flag.
Probably I am wrong :p but thats what I think it is.

hmm dat kon niet iets meer specifiek zeker? :p Van waar ben je?

Has anyone got a more professional explanation :?

The first flag is the national flag and also the flag of the Imperial Japanese Army until the end of WWII. The second was the flag of the old Japanese Navy. The second one was brought back by the Maritime Self-Defense Forces and is in use even today. I didn't know that until I read it here:

Japanese military flags

My two cents. ☝

The first flag is called Hi no maru 日の丸 or Nisshō ki 日章旗. It was a common design on ancient warrior banners, and began to be used by trading ships from about 1870, and after that by the Imperial Navy. In 1931 there was a project to make it the national flag, but it failed. Even if it was used as a national flag by cutsom, it's only in 1999 that it was officialized by a law.

The second one, called Kyokujitsu ki 旭日旗, was first used by the Army, and then by the Navy. Sometimes it was used simultaneously with the first one : the first at the prow, the latter at the poop of the ship.

William said:
hmm dat kon niet iets meer specifiek zeker? :p Van waar ben je?

Has anyone got a more professional explanation :?
Dat bedoelde ik dus maar ik kon het niet zo goed onder woorden brengen in het Engels :p
Welkom op het forum trouwens ^_^

spellekubus said:
Dat bedoelde ik dus maar ik kon het niet zo goed onder woorden brengen in het Engels :p

Er is wel een groot verschil tussen "Kyokujitsu ki 旭日旗" en een "Hitlervlag" eh :)

spellekubus said:
Welkom op het forum trouwens ^_^

Merci 🙂

pm eens uw e-mail-adres anders

For non-dutch people: sorry, internal affairs 😊

The first flag is the national flag of Japan the second one is the flag of the Japanese Navy. :)

William said:
Er is wel een groot verschil tussen "Kyokujitsu ki 旭日旗" en een "Hitlervlag" eh :)

Merci 🙂

pm eens uw e-mail-adres anders

For non-dutch people: sorry, internal affairs 😊
Hehe das waar :p Maar ik bedoelde het als voorbeeld.
Anyway dit is me email: ************** (ook meteen msn :p) wrom moet je me email eigenlijk hebben?

Kan je trouwens echt Japans of maar een paar zinnen?

epigene said:
The first flag is the national flag and also the flag of the Imperial Japanese Army until end of WWII. The second was the flag of the old Japanese Navy. It seems the second one was brought back by the Maritime Self-Defense Forces and is in use even today. I didn't know that until I read it here:

Japanese military flags

My two cents. ☝

cool site. i#ve been looking for that for a long time 👍

spellekubus said:
Hehe das waar :p Maar ik bedoelde het als voorbeeld.
Anyway dit is me email:[email protected] (ook meteen msn :p) wrom moet je me email eigenlijk hebben?

Kan je trouwens echt Japans of maar een paar zinnen?

een paar zinnen maar.
Wou dat ik het beter kon :(

Guys, I don't mean to barge in, but can you communicate via PM in Dutch? Because I for one, don't know Dutch, and I am sure that a lot of others here don't know either.. sorry. =)

The first flag was and has been the national flag of Japan since 1868, the year of the Meiji Restoration. The second flag is the Japanese military flag. It was used along with the first flag from 1868 through 1945. Today, the first flag is used as the official flag, but the second one is only used by the military, though even that is declining.

Hope I helped.

Hiroshi66 said:
but the second one is only used by the military, though even that is declining.

I don't know where you got that idea that the use of the Japanese Navy flag is declining, because it is not true. It has in 1954 been readopted as the official Japanese naval ensign.

The naval flag was introduced in 1889 and that has 16 rays extending from the Sun "Mon" to the edge of the flag. The flag was "banned" by the Treaty of San Francisco which prevent Japan from having her own armed forces, but in 1952 she started to build up "self-defence" forces. The naval forces readopted the naval ensign in 1954.

The Naval Ensign was first adopted on October 7, 1889 and used until the end of World War II and re-adopted on June 30, 1954 as a Naval Ensign used by Japanese Maritime Self Defense Forces.

Japanese military flags

Hiroshi66 said:
Guys, I don't mean to barge in, but can you communicate via PM in Dutch? Because I for one, don't know Dutch, and I am sure that a lot of others here don't know either.. sorry. =)

Sorry about that, you're right. It will never happen again ☝

Hiroshi66 said:
The first flag was and has been the national flag of Japan since 1868, the year of the Meiji Restoration. The second flag is the Japanese military flag. It was used along with the first flag from 1868 through 1945. Today, the first flag is used as the official flag, but the second one is only used by the military, though even that is declining.

Hope I helped.

You certainly did, but what exactly is this "Meiji Restoration" you're speaking about? :?

William said:
What exactly is this "Meiji Restoration" ?

On this site here: Meiji Restoration - Wikipedia is good information about the Meiji Restoration.

The Meiji Restoration (明治維新; Meiji Ishin), also known as the Meiji Ishin, Meiji Revolution or Renewal, describes a chain of events that led to a change in Japan's political and social structure; it occurred from 1866 to 1869, a period of 4 years that transverses both the late Edo (often called Late Tokugawa shogunate) and beginning of the Meiji Era.

The formation in 1866 of the Satcho Alliance between Saigo Takamori, the leader of the Satsuma domain, and Kido Takayoshi, the leader of the Choshu domain, marks the beginning of the Meiji restoration. These two leaders supported the emperor and were brought together by Sakamoto Ryoma for the purpose of challenging the ruling Tokugawa Shogunate (bakufu) and restoring the emperor to power.

The Tokugawa bakufu came to an official end on November 9, 1867, when the 15th Tokugawa Shogun Tokugawa Yoshinobu "put his prerogotives at the emperor's disposal" (Beasley, 52) and then resigned his position 10 days later. This was effectively the "restoration" (Taisei Hōkan) of imperial rule, although Yoshinobu retained considerable power.

Shortly thereafter in January 1868, the Boshin War (War of the Year of the Dragon) started with the Battle of Toba Fushimi in which an army led by forces from Choshu and Satsuma defeated the ex-shogun's army and forced the Emperor to strip Yoshinobu of all power. The war ended in early 1869 with the siege of Hakodate, Hokkaido. The defeat of the armies of the former shogun (led by Hijikata Toshizo) marked the end of the Meiji Restoration; all defiance to the emperor and his rule ended.

The leaders of the Meiji Restoration, as this revolution came to be known, claimed that their actions restored the emperor's powers. This is not in fact true. Power simply moved from the Tokugawa Shogun to a new oligarchy of the daimyo who defeated him. These oligarchs were mostly from the Satsuma province (Okubo Toshimichi and Saigo Takamori), and the Choshu province (Ito Hirobumi, Yamagata Aritomo, and Kido Koin.)

Hey guys, speak in dutch all you want. It doesnt say anywhere that you can only use english.

Ewok85, perhaps you understand Dutch, but I just thought that for people who can't speak the language or understand it, it would get aggrivating becasuse you can't understand anything and the conversation doesn't smoothy progress.

What I meant was that the flag isn't seen flying along with the Hinomaru all across Tokyo as it was in 1945 and before.

Back
Top Bottom