What's new

Japanese Fiction

BlackenedEyes

Chiisai Sakana
11 Feb 2005
Hello,

I just wanted to ask if there were any Japanese writers that write in the Science Fiction & Fantasy Genre or perhaps if it were possible to get an American book that had been translated into Japanese.

I've looked on different websites but for the most part they're filled with books in english, but if anyone knows how to get them in japanese or the audio in japanese that would be of great help.

So far the only thing close I've seen is Koushun Takami's Battle Royale, although that was in english too... :eek:

So far the only thing close I've seen is Koushun Takami's Battle Royale, although that was in english too... :eek:
I managed to find the original Japanese version on ebay.
The only way to see if you could get an American author Japanese version is to look at a Japanese book website that ships abroad. The only authors I can really mention is Koji Suzuki and Natsuo Kirino, but they are more horror writers.

ナス窶樞?堙坂?堋ア窶堙姑探ニ辰ニ暖窶堙俄?怒窶堙ー窶敞停?堋ヲ窶堙ェ窶堙篠、ナ?ツソナスナ。窶堙ー窶愿??堙懌?堙遺?堋ュ窶堋ソ窶堙。窶堙坂?堋セ窶堙溪?堙??堋キ窶堙仰。
I guess its time to break out the kanji dictionary... :(

For science fiction, many English books have been translated to Japanese. Here is a list of the major translations:
homepage1.nifty.com/ta/

Actually, there are so many Japanese SFs, from very-hard SF to YA. If you write your favorite theme or English authors you like, I can provide a narrowed list. Now here is a general recommendation:

1. Sakyo Komatsu, "King of Japanese SF"
I believe he is as great as the best English writers like AC Clarke or Heinlein. Unfortunately, there is only a English translation, "Japan Sink". But his Japanese is readable and worth to try. My favorite is a collection of his short stories, ゴルディアスの結び目(Gordian knot).

2. Shinichi Hoshi "Master of Short Stories"
He produced more than 1000 short(very short) stories. His humorous but ironic works are somehow similar to Frederic Brown. He is also readable and many Japanese low-teens choose his book as the first non-juvenile reading. So if you are non-native user of Japanese language, he is fine for your first step. ボッコちゃん(Bokko-chan) is a collection of his greatest stories.

Back
Top Bottom