What's new

Japanese engraving for my girlfriend

Silarc

Registered
21 Jan 2018
Hi, i am getting something engraved for my girlfriend and want to know which translates best from "I'm only here because of you" into hiragana/katakana out of these. Or if theres is a shorter translation in kanja:
私はあなたのためだけにここにいる
Or
私はあなたのためにのみここにいますよ
Google translate says they both translate to "I am here only for you"
Please reply soon
Thanks

want to know which translates best from "I'm only here because of you" into hiragana/katakana out of these
Thanks
Or should i say, which of these translates best into "I'm only here because of you".

Is there a particular reason you want to use Japanese? I ask because you don't seem to understand it (or at least, don't seem to understand it well), considering how literal your translation is. It would seem to me a lot more meaningful and personal to use English writing which you yourself can understand well.

Last edited:
Is there a particular reason you want to use Japanese? I ask because you don't seem to understand it (or at least, don't seem to understand it well), considering how literal your translation is. It would seem to me a lot more meaningful and personal to use English writing which you yourself can understand well.
Personal reasons. I dont understand it well, i am still learning, thats why i want someone to give me the most accurate translation.

That sentence isn't sufficiently clear in English to be certain of giving you a good translation.

How do you mean?
"I'm only here because of you"
As in I would not be here if you were not here.
Even if i just get clarification that one of the above sentances transfers correctly into "I am here only for you" or can get one that correctly does, that would be fine.

How do you mean?
"I'm only here because of you"
As in I would not be here if you were not here.

Where is "here"? Is it a physical location? A circumstance? A frame of mind? The fact that you're alive at all?

Is it meant positively or negatively?

For example:

Grateful lad to supportive mother on his graduation day: "I'm only here because of you"
Father in police station bailing out wayward son: "I'm only here because of you'

You don't realize how ambiguous that is in English until you try to translate it.

Where is "here"? Is it a physical location? A circumstance? A frame of mind? The fact that you're alive at all?

Is it meant positively or negatively?

For example:

Grateful lad to supportive mother on his graduation day: "I'm only here because of you"
Father in police station bailing out wayward son: "I'm only here because of you'

You don't realize how ambiguous that is in English until you try to translate it.
Ah i see, yeah it can mean quite a few things with different context.

It is meant positively.
I am only here at this place, at this time, because you are here, because i love you, and i want to be wherever you are.
I hope this helps.

It helps tremendously.

I would use:
君なしではいられない

It helps tremendously.

I would use:
君なしではいられない
That looks a lot better, especialy for an inscription.
Does this emphasise the place?
As in, i have only come here because you are here "I'm only here".
Or is it enphasising the point that i do not need ANYTHING without you?
Just curious on the differences is all.
Thank you for replying quickly though.

The nuance is closer to the latter. The literal translation is "I can't live without you."

It sounds good.
I will most likely use it.
Im guessing if you try and go towards the former it starts to get ambiguous again?

It's a hell of a lot more romantic rendition in the Japanese version, and by logical extension has the same meaning.

I can't be without you
so
I must be with you
therefore
I will be wherever you are
equals
Your original sentiment

Yep, im going with that!
Me and my girlfriend hope to learn Japanese properly so hopefully i will come back in a years time and be able to understand more.
Thanks so much guys!
Especialy Mike =)

Mike's translation is not only accurate to the sentiment, it's a phrase that a native speaker would use for that application in that situation. I hope she likes it!

Yep, im going with that!
Me and my girlfriend hope to learn Japanese properly so hopefully i will come back in a years time and be able to understand more.
Thanks so much guys!
Especialy Mike =)

You're most welcome.

Please note that we have a Learning Japanese section which the both of you are welcome to make full use of. No need for you to be away from us for a year.

Mike's translation is not only accurate to the sentiment, it's a phrase that a native speaker would use for that application in that situation. I hope she likes it!
Thats exactly what i wanted. Im sure she will =)
You're most welcome.

Please note that we have a Learning Japanese section which the both of you are welcome to make full use of. No need for you to be away from us for a year.
Thanks i will take a look at that!
And i will show her this afterwards.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom