What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Japanese Electronic dictionary

lobusan

後輩
Reaction score
I want to buy a new electronic dictionary but dont know which one to get, looking to spend around 2man i think. I want one which is easy to navigate around.
any makes or models people can recommend?
Rob

Mikawa Ossan

気づいたらカッパだ
Reaction score
What features are you looking for?

I have not bought one in a long time, so I know they have changed quite a bit, but I recommend getting one that has all of the following dictionaries included: Japanese-Japanese, English-Japanese, Japanase-English, Chinese Characters-Japanese.

I know that there are some also with an English-English dictionary. In the past year, I've really wanted that feature quite a bit. Might be worth it for you, too.

RockLee

Hullu
Reaction score
casio.co.jp/exword/

My friend has an Exword from Casio and she's satisfied with it.

I have a SII one , costed more than 20 man though,I found this one :

yamakyo.jp/saleslist/denshijiten/

check the SII SL-H4500 it costs 18000円.
The sharp ones I don't know if they're good or not.

-edit-
Mine has English-English,Japanese-English,English-Japanese,Japanese for extraordinary use,some other weird Japanese thing and a TOIC test etc. worth the money :emoji_blush:

This is the manufacturer's site:

sii-dictionary.com/

The one on the main page is the one I have , 29700円 atm.
SR-T7100

sii-dictionary.com/shop/item_detail?category_id=116&item_id=377

Index

窶禿塒弯
Reaction score
The exword ones are good I think, because when you input an English word, the Japanese comes up in both kanji and kana, which is good if your kanji reading isn't good yet. A lot of dictionaries only output the kanji, which is a hassle if you want the answer quickly.

parky

先輩
Reaction score
Question

Index. Oh!! you just, almost, answered my question. I want to get a dictionary which shows the kana. It is essential as far as I can tell.
So you say Ex-word does that...are there any other brands which do?
And with the Ex-word do I have to hit any special keys to get the kana?
And, well, I don't suppose I could buy one with an English user's manual, huh?

Thanks.

Revenant

Sempai
Reaction score
I haven't carefully looked at dictionaries recently, but before, the beginner or intermediate learner of Japanese often preferred the Canon wordtank. The Canon wordtank now, the G55 has one thing over all the other dictionaries now, it has the animated Chinese brushstrokes so one can learn how to write them correctly, if that is what one wants. Otherwise, the Seiko series does look good.

Index

窶禿塒弯
Reaction score
parky said:
Index. Oh!! you just, almost, answered my question. I want to get a dictionary which shows the kana. It is essential as far as I can tell.
So you say Ex-word does that...are there any other brands which do?
And with the Ex-word do I have to hit any special keys to get the kana?
And, well, I don't suppose I could buy one with an English user's manual, huh?

Thanks.

To be honest I don't know about other models, except the exword. I don't have an instruction manual for it, indeed its not even mine, but it's relatively simple and I worked the basics out pretty quickly, so you shouldn't have any problems...In regard to pressing a special button to get the kana, you don't have to on this particular model; as soon as you input an English word, the output is both in kanji and kana (although sometimes only kanji comes up for some reason, but this is rare). Good luck!

BrDM

後輩
Reaction score
Casio XD-GP9700 or XD-GP7250?

Hi all,

I am a student of the french language as well as japanese and i'm torn between the 9700 and the trilingual (jap-english-french) 7250!! Does the fact that the number 7250 is lower than 9700 make this casio inferior? The only disadvantage i can see with the 7250 is the lack of the Kenkyusha 5th Edition J-E dictionary with 480,000 entries! I believe this dictionary is awesome and don't want to miss out on it. But then, how many words does one need? Can i download a french-english and english-french dictionary and put it on the 9700 myself? Do I buy 9700? Do I buy 7250?

Help mee!

-B.

bluepilot

Kouhai
Reaction score
I think that for the basic to intermediate level a good dictionary includes the 'genuis' dictionary.

Also, I would reccomend, perhaps costing a little more but well worth it, getting one of the dictionaries that have a little pad which you can write kanji into.

Infact, I think that for beginner to intermediate level the Nitendo DS kanji sonomama is one of the easiest and most convinient dictionaries to use. And you can use your DS to play other games (tee hee). But on unfortunate downside is that sometimes schools do not like you using this dictionary because the DS has wireless communication which can allow cheating.

Exword is good. But, if your school/university will allow it, I would strongly reccomend getting the DS kanji sonomama.

It is so easy to use, but a downside is that it is very hard to ween yourself onto other dictionaty when you outgrow it.

Top Bottom