What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Japanese Dictionary

Tomii515

やった~!
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy some new books on Japanese. I have a dictionary, but it's a crappy one and I'd like to buy a new one. I found "Kodansha's Furigana Japanese Dictionary: Japanese - english English - Japanese" and also "The Kodansha Kanji Learner Dictionary". I wanted to know if anyone knew whether or not these books are worth buying, and if not, what other books would be worth buying? Also, are there any other books I should look into buying as well? Thank you!

僕は新しい日本語の本を買っておきたいです。日本語の 辞書がありますが、よくないのですから、新しいのを買 っておきたいんです。「Kodansha's Furigana Japanese Dictionary: Japanese - English English - Japanese」という辞書と「The Kodansha Kanji Learner Dictionary」という漢字の辞書を見つけました。誰かこ の辞書を買っておいたほうがいいかどうかわかって僕は わかりたくて、よくなかったら、買っておいたほうがい いほかの辞書がありますか。それに、買っておいたほう がいい知っているほかの日本語の本もありますか。よろ しくお願いします!(ところで、間違えたら、直してく ださい。😅

digipham

Registered
Reaction score
Can you show me the resource that can be used? Like the dictionary that you are using. Is there any experience with this stuff?

Stuntie

後輩
Reaction score
I got "The Kodansha Kanji Learner Dictionary" so can comment on that one.
Still a Newbie to learning Japanese so no idea what the recommended Dictionary is.

I found it relatively easy to use. It's not much larger than a paperback, so not a problem to transport. Only issue I had was working out some stroke counts- was that 12 or 13 strokes? etc. But that would be same for any Kanji Dictionary at this stage. I was helped though by radicals being on the page edge, so not a big issue at all.
I had got a sheet of useful Kanji from somewhere and needed to look some Kanji up as the print out on some was too small to correctly understand the Kanji form. Had no problem looking up the Kanji in Kodansha.

Kodansha uses a system where you look up Kanji based on where the radical is (side, top, surround it etc.) and how many strokes it has.
You look up 'where the radical is' then number of radical strokes, then strokes in the other part of the Kanji. Sounds hard, but is actually quite easy as there are radicals at the page edge to help.
The other dictionaries I looked at seem to use the Radical stroke numbers as the first bit to look up, and then the number of strokes in the main part. So Kodansha only really differed with having the radical location as an initial lookup.

Others can help with what is the 'generally recommeded' one, but Kodansha is working fine for me, though I will probably get a big expensive Desktop Kanji Dictionary at some point later.

Top Bottom