What's new

Japanese culture and praise

Grainne

後輩
20 Jul 2004
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I was hoping you guys could help with with a little problem I have... I am an Australian living in Japan and am experiencing a little cultural discomfort! I am very confused about the ettiquette of being praised and praising others, in particular kohai/sempai relations.

hi grainne,

always be aware that there's a difference between Omote and ura,... nihon no fushiginamono will take you some time to figure out.

...but what exactly is the problem?

Hi Hirobumi, I am a 24 yr old girl in Japan to train in Kyokushin karate. My problem is this.. I am confused as to whether it is appropriate to flatter senior members of my dojo. There certainly seems to be a much greater exchange of praise here in Japan. I'm really not comfortable with such open outbursts of praise but I want to learn how to join in these conversations. I don't want to appear arrogant by offering my appraisal of sempai's achievements but I feel arrogant if I don't recirocate positive comments.

Grainne said:
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I was hoping you guys could help with with a little problem I have... I am an Australian living in Japan and am experiencing a little cultural discomfort! I am very confused about the ettiquette of being praised and praising others, in particular kohai/sempai relations.

I'd be shocked if they truly expected you to fully understand the dynamics of a kohai/sempai relationship as a foreigner, unless you are an Australian of Japanese descent, or are decently fluent in the language. None of my "true gaijin" friends were ever placed in the position of having their behavior truly scrutinized in the kohai/sempai context, even in the more serious "clubs," as opposed to the circles. Then again, it might be different within a dojo, as I'm sure things are much more structured there.

Back
Top Bottom