What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Japanese Cell Phones

Spyder93090

先輩
Joined
11 Jun 2006
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Im just curious, is anyone here also crazy in love with Japanese cell phones besides me ?!?! I mean, they're so dope. They put our RAZRs to shame and make our Sidekick IIs look like bricks. Haha, I was in Tokyo and EVERYONE had a cell phone and was using it. I currently have a SH901iC which my Japanese friend gave to me to use while I was back in J.

sh901gif-1.jpg


It's actually around a year and a half old but it's still better than any commercial phone available in the US. If any Japan (or US) residents here have (or can get me) a Vodafone 903SH that they don't want, I'd be willing to drop a few bills if you can sell it to me. I don't care what color as long as it's a Vodafone 903SH, PM me if interested. Looks like this ...

Vodafone 903SH


You guys ?!?!
 

xerxes99

Robot/Ninja
Joined
28 Aug 2005
Messages
286
Reaction score
7
I have the 903sh in red. I love this thing. The camera is surprisingly good too! I've only met one other person with one though.
 

Damicci

先輩
Joined
4 Nov 2003
Messages
2,461
Reaction score
52
I have a 902T in the US muahahaha! My gf has the sh901c In Japan. I love her phone more than mine.
 

Nana007

Sempai
Joined
10 Nov 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
6
I love those phones. I want one so bad but they are not compatible in the U.S.
 

DoctorP

先輩
Joined
3 Jun 2004
Messages
1,983
Reaction score
93
I made two trips back to the US in the last 30 days, and I was embarrassed at what I found there. The technology is being held back there for some reason.

The only people with email cabable phones are people who buy blackberry's (or similar) and pay for the extra service. Text messaging to me is a waste of time.

Also, where I went, there were many areas you still couldn't get service...many of the people there had the cell phones with 2 way radio features for when they are out of cell range...talk about dark ages! Luckily I had activated my docomo phone to use while I was there!
 

Damicci

先輩
Joined
4 Nov 2003
Messages
2,461
Reaction score
52
I just saw a commercial in march about the new 2 way service in Japan. Kind seems to go both ways if you ask me. I still think JP Phones have way better advancement in style and functionality of thier phones. Thats why they are so popular.
 

Nana007

Sempai
Joined
10 Nov 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
6
I use Sprint, which uses CDMA technology. Is it possible to unlock a Japanese Cell phone to work with Sprint, as long as that cellphone is also CDMA?
 

Spyder93090

先輩
Joined
11 Jun 2006
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
xerxes99 said:
I have the 903sh in red. I love this thing. The camera is surprisingly good too! I've only met one other person with one though.

Omg omg omg, why don't you do yourself a favor and buy a 904 can get rid of that piece of crap 903 😌 Psssh 903s, no one uses those anymore. [/sarcasm] But f'really'doh, if you ever wanna get rid of it, you know who to call (^_~)*
 

Spyder93090

先輩
Joined
11 Jun 2006
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Nana007 said:
I use Sprint, which uses CDMA technology. Is it possible to unlock a Japanese Cell phone to work with Sprint, as long as that cellphone is also CDMA?

Hmmm, I think most Japanese cell phones run on WCDMA so I don't know if they'll be compatible with CDMA, but judging from the name, I guess it could. Google it !! I know Vodafone runs on GSM 1900 which is what most other US Companies run on as well. That's why I can only buy Vodafone Phones ><
 

Damicci

先輩
Joined
4 Nov 2003
Messages
2,461
Reaction score
52
Spyder93090 said:
Hmmm, I think most Japanese cell phones run on WCDMA so I don't know if they'll be compatible with CDMA, but judging from the name, I guess it could. Google it !! I know Vodafone runs on GSM 1900 which is what most other US Companies run on as well. That's why I can only buy Vodafone Phones ><
This is correct. The us doesn't support WCDMA "yet" in the future i don't know. So unfortunately unless the the phone is gsm cdma you cannot use it in the US.
WCDMA is not compatible with CDMA.
 

yukio_michael

Sempai
Joined
8 Mar 2005
Messages
2,094
Reaction score
88
Yeah, Japanese phones are nice, I think... I had a very cheap P700i, and it's still better than any phone I've seen in the US. If you care about those sorts of things, I suppose...

This has been like this for as long as I've known anyone from Japan though, the lag of technology that is...

In Japan, where kids used to be spending money on records and clothes and things like that, now they are spending it on their keitai bill...
 

koolkool

Kouhai
Joined
24 Jul 2006
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
In my country we use GSM system, and when i was in Japan i rented a vodafone cell phone. I can't use my rent phone to send sms to my folks back in my country.But some of my friend can send me sms with their phone from Japan to my GSM cell phone and i can send sms to them too...how can this be possible?..in my near future trip to Japan i want to rent this kind of phone..anyone can help with this matter?
 

Spyder93090

先輩
Joined
11 Jun 2006
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
koolkool said:
In my country we use GSM system, and when i was in Japan i rented a vodafone cell phone. I can't use my rent phone to send sms to my folks back in my country.But some of my friend can send me sms with their phone from Japan to my GSM cell phone and i can send sms to them too...how can this be possible?..in my near future trip to Japan i want to rent this kind of phone..anyone can help with this matter?

Hmm, did your rental include "Text Messaging" capabilities lol ?! That's the only thing I can think of right now ...
 

Damicci

先輩
Joined
4 Nov 2003
Messages
2,461
Reaction score
52
Depends on the network. In the US my gf sends me MMS messages via email but I can not respond. I can't seem to connect here due to the branding of the phone. It's branded to only work on the Vodafone network or connect to vodafone. Also Not many carriers in the US support 3g. Gotta check up on helio.
 

ghettocities

後輩
Joined
16 Jun 2002
Messages
796
Reaction score
13
I've gone to Japan six times and never rented a phone. I also have a digital phobia though which might be part of the reason why, but still, I can get girls and have a good time with business cards and an e-mail address so why waste any time pushing buttons on a cellphone txt msg'ing a girl in Tokyo? I'd rather be like "Look, if you meet me here tomorrow at 10pm we can party and if you don't want to then I don't care, I'll go find someone better than you," instead of sending txt msg's with cute smiley faces and stupid pick up lines for a girl who obviously wants to do me.

Josh


Josh
 

koolkool

Kouhai
Joined
24 Jul 2006
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
Cell phone

Hello Josh..i like ur www.ghettocitiesclothing.com.. I'm not as lucky as you with the girls in Japan..This will be my 4th trip to Japan.👍
I insist to rent a phone in Japan because i have to deal with my costumers back here in my home country, that i find very difficult in my past visit, they couldnt contact me..but if there's a japanese girl willing to contact me to my rented denwa, i will be very happy to answer her :)
 

Davey

Moderator
Moderator
Contributor
Joined
5 Feb 2005
Messages
7,542
Reaction score
588
Phones here in Japan are indeed very cool! and a lot of other countries are far behind the Japanese mobile phone technologie.

I have a Vodafone 804ss. which is really thin, and light. and it have heaps of options, I can even see PDF files with it.

KoolKool said:
I'm not as lucky as you with the girls in Japan..
Don't worry about that haha. ( I won't go into this part a lot...)
 

Spyder93090

先輩
Joined
11 Jun 2006
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Damicci said:
Depends on the network. In the US my gf sends me MMS messages via email but I can not respond. I can't seem to connect here due to the branding of the phone. It's branded to only work on the Vodafone network or connect to vodafone. Also Not many carriers in the US support 3g. Gotta check up on helio.


Yeah, I actually just read an article in my Popular Science Magazine that the reason why the US doesn't get all the cool cell phone stuff like Japan is because we're so big and it'll be hard to send large packets of live data across our HUGE country. While Japan is only the size of California, haha. But yeah, Helio is looking pretty dope right now, if I had the money, I probably would've had a Hero by now. ><
 

Damicci

先輩
Joined
4 Nov 2003
Messages
2,461
Reaction score
52
Spyder93090 said:
Yeah, I actually just read an article in my Popular Science Magazine that the reason why the US doesn't get all the cool cell phone stuff like Japan is because we're so big and it'll be hard to send large packets of live data across our HUGE country. While Japan is only the size of California, haha. But yeah, Helio is looking pretty dope right now, if I had the money, I probably would've had a Hero by now. ><

Also another reason is that Japan knows that their phones are very popular so restructured policies to prevent thier phones being available anywhere else. told to straight from the docomo rep at Bic Camera!
 

Spyder93090

先輩
Joined
11 Jun 2006
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Damicci said:
Also another reason is that Japan knows that their phones are very popular so restructured policies to prevent thier phones being available anywhere else. told to straight from the docomo rep at Bic Camera!

Yeah, I went to a Vodeafone store once and I offered to cash out $300 for a 903SH and they refused ... bleh. So what I have to resort to know is to ask two of my friends (back in Japan) that if they ever find a person at their school with an old 903 they don't want or will soon upgrade to the 904, that if they can sell it to me somehow lolz ... God I want the phone sooooo bad.
 

leonmarino

Back
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
64
I have a mobile phone and I can call with it. I'm a happy man. I'm surprised what "phones" can do nowadays.. Whenever someone shows me his/her new phone I can't resist to say: "Wow, all those functions.. Can you use it to call as well?"
 

Spyder93090

先輩
Joined
11 Jun 2006
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
leonmarino said:
I have a mobile phone and I can call with it. I'm a happy man. I'm surprised what "phones" can do nowadays.. Whenever someone shows me his/her new phone I can't resist to say: "Wow, all those functions.. Can you use it to call as well?"
Yeah, that's the big joke these days. Every time I read a review on a new phone it's like, "3 Megapixel Camera, Voice Calling, MP3 Playback ... oh yeah, you can call people too."
Anyways, yeah those phones are sick. And just to rub things in, here are some of the features they have:
-Mobile TV: Watch LIVE TV on your phone
-Record TV: Self Explanatory.
-TV Remote: Use your cell phone to flip through channels
-Mobile Wallet: Buy something at a market or vending machine and swipe your phone by the cashier and it charges it to your phone bill.
-3.2 Megapixel Camera: That's flippin AWESOME for a phone
-Dual Camera: Most phones there have 2 Cameras instead of one
-Video Recorder: Record hours and hours of video on your phone
-AV Out: Hook up your phone to your TV and show family and friends your Pics n Vids
-Video Calling: Take a guess
-Mobile Internet: Internet on your phone
-Surround Sound: Yep, you can hear things around you when Surround Sound is activated. It's awesome
-Privacy Screen: Have you seen those privacy screens in Libraries ? Well some phones in Japan have them built into the phone that you can turn on and off so only you can see what you're typing.
-MP3 Playback: Play and Download songs onto your phone
-DocumentViewer: The ability to look at your Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, or PDF documents on your phone.
-Image Editors: Adobe Photoshop on your phone basically
-Slideshows: Make slideshows on your phone and use the AV Out feature to show friends and family.
-Bar Code Reader: See a DVD that you want to buy but not sure ? Scan it's barcode and it'll give you a link where you can download the DVD's Theatrical Trailer.
-Kanji Reader: See a Kanji you don't know ? Snap a pic of it and it'll tell you what it means.
-Eng/Jap Dictionary: Don't know a word in Japanese or English ? Look it up in the phones dictionary to get the translation.
-3D Games: Play games with better graphics than the Playstation 1 on your phone
-All the other stuff: Alarm Clock, Voice Memo, To Do List, Calendar etc etc
-And yes, it can call people too
 

leonmarino

Back
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
64
Spyder93090 said:
-Surround Sound: Yep, you can hear things around you when Surround Sound is activated. It's awesome
Yeah, my girlfriend has one with surround sound.. Who on earth needs it!? 😊
 

Nana007

Sempai
Joined
10 Nov 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
6
I am leaving for Tokyo on Friday, and my parents want me to rent a phone when I get there, I have been looking at several different companies, but for those who have rented before what is the best company to rent from?
 

Damicci

先輩
Joined
4 Nov 2003
Messages
2,461
Reaction score
52
Vodafone seems to be the most common for renting phones I think. I have seen more advertisements for the quick use phones.
 
Top Bottom