What's new

Japanese army

Elgin

先輩
23 Oct 2003
If your a foreigner and your Japanese language is limited can you study at a Japanese army school?

Would they teach foreigners the Japanese language first?

Would you have a campground where you would live?

Question ????

I can't picture the Japanese military letting any non-Japanese citizen join. Does anyone know if foreigners are allowed in ?

Frank

I'd doubt it

And why would you want to go to the Japanese military academy? If you really want to do foreign military service join the US military or the French Foreign Legion, they accept outsiders. They also have better schools for officers.

Because I'm poor and I want to learn Japanese in Japan so that seems like a cheap way to go.

:p

... uhh thats not a good reason at all. If you are a Canadian, try to get into the Royal Military Collage and take courses at queens in Japanese. Thats a better way to do it

#1, Im assured that you will not get into a Military Academy. I know in the Canadian, US and most other militaries I can think of you have to be a citizen to get into officers school. I don't know the JSDF, but given Japanese immigration policies, it would be the biggest fluke ever if they accepted non Japanese students into the program. Also most military academies take the best of the best, not students who have little grasp of language. RMC needs a 86+ on english/french and math.

#2 Going into military service is a big deal. I wouldn't go into military service just because you are poor and want to learn Japanese. Many schools make you pay back the money if you don't graduate.

A better way to do it would be to go to school in canada, get a degree then go and teach in Japan. You can learn Japanese there, get money to pay off student loans and the sort.

Humm I though I saw a website that was a military school that let foreigners study. I dunno if I posted my question wrong but I was talking about that school not the real army.

Luc said:
Humm I though I saw a website that was a military school that let foreigners study. I dunno if I posted my question wrong but I was talking about that school not the real army.

The National Defense Academy allows non-Japanese students to study there. Heck, most non-Japanese students are from Asia.

Seen it. Nice to see my fellow countryman in the NDA. I just want to know if foreign students are required to participate in presentation (e.g. parachuting from planes)? Thanks.

PS - It's a good thing that NDA administrators permit their foreign cadets to show off their national cadet uniforms. This is a good way to interact with their Japanese classmates.

yeah, if you join the Japanese military, you get to learn Japanese, and you have a lot better chances of staying alive then if you join the US military, or some other military...

The french foreign legion is notorious for being....well.....hard.

And the american military i think consists of getting shouted at waaay too much, lots of male postering (grrr im a man grrrr) and like, dying in foreign countries we have no right to be in, in the first place.

On the other hand the UK military seems much more professional, together and calm, good british grub from the cafeteria 👍 and british sensibilities.

So if i joined an army it'd be the british one.

Not to mention our navy and army and stuff have a long and distinguished history, top officer training, and good basic aswell, if i was a third world povvie, ide rather have a british regiment guarding my crumbling city then trigger happy yanks or un-proven Japanese volunteers who dont really have an army and certainly dont have any battle experience.

But just for learning Japanese i guess its a good choice. 👍

Can they pull you into active service in the event of a national emergency? :S

Luc said:

So you think tuition and room/board at a private school is going to be free somehow because it's a military school?

nurizeko said:
And the american military i think consists of getting shouted at waaay too much, lots of male postering

We must have been in different branches of the American military, you and I.

Not to mention our navy and army and stuff have a long and distinguished history

Much of which revolves around sending young men to die in places they have no business being, while getting yelled at a lot.

By the way...when was it the RN finally got around to doing away with flogging and press gangs?

What was it First Lord of the Admiralty Winston Churchill once said? Something like...."The traditions of the Navy are rum, sodomy, and the lash".

But just for learning Japanese i guess its a good choice. 👍
Can they pull you into active service in the event of a national emergency? :S

It's an asinine choice, since the choice doesn't exist anyway.

Last edited:
Much of which revolves around sending young men to die in places they have no business being, while getting yelled at a lot.
By the way...when was it the RN finally got around to doing away with flogging and press gangs?
What was it First Lord of the Admiralty Winston Churchill once said? Something like...."The traditions of the Navy are rum, sodomy, and the lash".
Touche. :p

Edit: So whats the rules about foreigners in the army? american immigration laws are pretty tight so is it basically if you server so long in the US forces you get a ticket to citizenship?

nurizeko said:
Edit: So whats the rules about foreigners in the army? american immigration laws are pretty tight so is it basically if you server so long in the US forces you get a ticket to citizenship?

For a very long time, America had an arrangement to accept a certain number of Filipinos into the Navy each year. I believe it was part of some sort of treaty worked out by Theodore Roosevelt. It was a highly competetive program and was still running back in the early 80's. It may still be going on, for all I know, but I suspect that it ended with the base leases.

I served with at least one Brit and one Vietnamese, along with more Filipinos than I could possibly count.

From the web said:
Enlistment into the U.S. Navy, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 ツ― commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Here's a link to an article that gives some more info:

USATODAY.com - Military recruiting slips among foreign nationals

Ah so you actually have to be living in the US.
I figured it was something like that.
I have to admit, some US equipment appeals to me, i like the SA80 and all, but it doesnt have the same feel other weapons do.
Charles Moskos, a military sociologist at Northwestern University, said he was surprised by the dip but still believes the military will be forced to turn toward non-citizens.
"We can't get enough middle-class kids to die for our country," he said. "This is the next step."
Thats kinda sad.....on so many levels....I thought the point of joining a modern developed western countries military was to help others and stuff and peacekeeping, not to specifically die for your country....its not like british recruiters say "Join the British army, dont wait!, die for your country today!".

nurizeko said:
The french foreign legion is notorious for being....well.....hard.

I wouldn't join the army to be threaded like a pussy thats for sure!:)

talk about taking it a little far. sure you like japan. listen to Jpop.. but join there army...

man....

The obsession of Japanophile teenagers can truely go to every extreme up until they descover the real japan (or grow up).

nurizeko said:
The obsession of Japanophile teenagers can truely go to every extreme up until they descover the real japan (or grow up).

Far more eventually bump into the latter than ever experience the former.

Though joining the Japanese Military is near impossible for a forigener, it's not impossble. If you really wanted to join it your best bet would be to get a degree in English, teach English in Japan in a temparary visa for however long you have to stay there to get citizenship, apply for citizenship, then supossing you get it, if you speak fluent Japanese, you can then join the Japanese military.

Infection_ said:
Though joining the Japanese Military is near impossible for a forigener, it's not impossble. If you really wanted to join it your best bet would be to get a degree in English, teach English in Japan in a temparary visa for however long you have to stay there to get citizenship, apply for citizenship, then supossing you get it, if you speak fluent Japanese, you can then join the Japanese military.

1. A degree in English is not only not required in order to teach English, it is actually rather rare among English teachers.

2. There is no predetermined length to "however long" one must reside in Japan in order to be able to seek citizenship. And it isn't unusual for granting of citizenship to take a year or two from the time of application.

3. Merely residing/working in Japan isn't generally sufficient to put one on a track toward granting of citizenship.

4. How in the hell you think anyone is going to do all that crap before the age of 27 is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom