What's new

Japanese and Russian

it was not spam. It's a real question
Nice try... on top of it being your first post, you ask about the difference between Japanese and Russian to give some validity to post, but in the very next breath you post a link to a site to learn Russian??? How much more blatant can you get?

The link has been removed, as it was bordering on spam.
The question will stand, but you need to put some of your own views on as well, so people can get an idea on how you stand on the subject.

What do you think about their difference?
Having had the experience of English tutoring a Russian speaker (Ukrainaian nationality but is fluent at a native-level) for several weeks now these are a few differences I've been able to discern :

1. Russian doesn't use particles/prepositions the same way that Japanese and English do. There are similarly functioning parts of speech that instead occur as suffixes to other words. Apparently adding prefixes and suffixes is the most common process by which new words/meanings are formed in the language.

2. Pronunciation/phonics can't really be assessed since I know absolutely no Russian whatsoever. Hearing him speak, however, makes me think Russian is slightly "harder" or more "gutteral" sounding, otherwise there probably wouldn't be a lot of major issues picking up Japanese syllables.
Both are largely phonetic with basically a one-to-one correspondence between letters and sounds.

3. Russian word order is generally SUBJECT-VERB-OBJECT (similar to English) but I'm told it is extremely flexible which is not true of standard Japanese (SUBJECT-OBJECT-VERB).

Look forward to the OP's response and will come back with more if anything else comes up.

Last edited:
As i Know, Japanese is more disciplined.
LOL. So I've heard....You mean like there are six or more ways to say "I went to the park" in Russian while Japanese has only one. I mean you can leave off the subject, slightly alter "to," and make it polite or informal but that's about it for normal variations...😌

Last edited:
Snake, are you talking about people or language?
The language. At least the original link, that was taken down as semi-spam, was a guide for students interested in studying Russian...

And I'm not going to be the one to start making analogies on discipline to the Russian v. Japanese characters...😌

my parents and grandparents were all born in Russia(they are not russian though they are jews which are a totally different culture and everything from the Russian goyim) and i can tell you that they are not subtle at all and they have a saying which says a lot about them its "if your neighbors cow dies its a good thing".

Last edited:
Hi!
Firstly, sorry for my bad english...
pugtm says: "if your neighbors cow dies its a good thing". it is about Russians? If 'yes', then, Snake, forget it!!! It isn't correct at all. I'm Russian, i know. ;-)

Snake, what difference you are talking about? Style of life? Language? what?

"i see no similarity" -> both are humans. ;-)

"very different" -> uhm, maybe... not SO different, of course. Youth generation isn't different at all. (Oh, except 2 things, Russia's youth generation doesn't like so karaoke, as Japanese, and Japanese doesn't go to clubs so often as Russian).
More old generations, of course, have more differences(especially women)...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

"i see no similarity" -> both are humans. ;-)
"very different" -> uhm, maybe... not SO different, of course. Youth generation isn't different at all. (Oh, except 2 things, Russia's youth generation doesn't like so karaoke, as Japanese, and Japanese doesn't go to clubs so often as Russian).
More old generations, of course, have more differences(especially women)...
P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
How much time have you spent with young people in Japan ? 😌

Hi!
Firstly, sorry for my bad english...
pugtm says: "if your neighbors cow dies its a good thing". it is about Russians? If 'yes', then, Snake, forget it!!! It isn't correct at all. I'm Russian, i know. ;-)
Snake, what difference you are talking about? Style of life? Language? what?
My parents are from russia and so are my grandparents.

to Elizabeth -> what do you hint at? I'm not right? Correct me if i wrong.

Elizabeth says: "How much time have you spent with young people in Japan ? " -> Not so much. 2 weeks in previous summer. But EVERY DAY i chat with them (and with others) and ask about young Japanese people.

pugtm says: "My parents are from russia and so are my grandparents." -> and? And u still think, that "if your neighbors cow dies its a good thing". - is correct???

to Elizabeth -> what do you hint at? I'm not right? Correct me if i wrong.
Elizabeth says: "How much time have you spent with young people in Japan ? " -> Not so much. 2 weeks in previous summer. But EVERY DAY i chat with them (and with others) and ask about young Japanese people.
pugtm says: "My parents are from russia and so are my grandparents." -> and? And u still think, that "if your neighbors cow dies its a good thing". - is correct???
are you asking me whether what my parents told me is correct? or are you asking him?

I would think, and based on my experiences too, that the average variety of personality traits that can be found among young people, will be found all over the world. In that way, and to that degree, I would argue that no one can, within that range, deny the sameness of all young people...or, simply, people !!

Now, in that there are clear differences in culture--and all that that implies--there will be clear differences in young folk and older folk, alike. It cannot be denied.

Since the link has been removed, and the OP has pleaded innocent of spam--taking that as is--the question in the OP is extremely vague. . . 'their, however, has now been given the referent, 'people,' so, we should discuss or present differences about people of Russian cultural/hereditary descent and those of Japanese.

We should be careful to direct this haphazardly opened thread in a positive direction. One difference is the general worldview which has been historically shaped due to religious culture--thus putting pressure on social formatting.

my parents and grandparents were all born in Russia(they are not russian though they are jews which are a totally different culture and everything from the Russian goyim) and i can tell you that they are not subtle at all and they have a saying which says a lot about them its "if your neighbors cow dies its a good thing".
It's a very bad generalisation and I feel offended. You would be offended if someone offended a Jewish person but you allow yourseld to offend a nation.

--

The original question doesn't seem to be very linguistic since there is no relationship whatsoever between Russian and Japanese languages. To me, Japanese pronunciation is not hard at all. We have palatalisation, so some combinations like ni, mya, myo ki, kya, kyo, etc. are pronounced identically, although some may not happen in Russian so often (the reverse is not true, the Japanese have troubles with consonants clusters, which happen more often in Russian than in English).

Japanese particles and their usage remind the case endings in Russian and in many case can be easily mapped, e.g. 窶堙ー - accusative (terebi-o mimas), 窶堙可 - dative (give smth. to someone), 窶堙? - instrumental (write with a pen), etc.

As i Know, Japanese is more disciplined.

I am not sure about disciplined. Russian has a lot of grammar rules, which are followed. It is perhaps the only language, which is spread over such a big area without too much variation. Dialectal differences are minor and every Russian can speak a more or less standard Russian. Some people would disagree but one should compare dialect differences with other languages.

The Russian word order is flexible changing word order changes the stress of a sentence or can have another meaning.

Back
Top Bottom