What's new

Japan XR/Fridays for Future climate-related events

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
Thomas - you very kindly told me back in September that you welcomed publicity about climate-related events taking place in Japan, so I'll start this thread.

The next set of major worldwide and Japan-wide events will be on November 29th, which are mainly being organised by Fridays for Future, the organisation
started by Greta Thunberg. They are taking place at 14 different locations according to the map on the FFF Japan page (click link below then scroll down). I expect the largest event will be the Tokyo one (there were 2800 at the previous march in September). The meeting place is Shinjuku Central Park Mizu no Hiroba at 12 pm (wear green if possible and placards etc. very welcome!). Most of the events outside Tokyo are starting early evening. For more details, the best thing to do may be to go to the event page on Facebook. I can probably get in touch with people who can answer questions if you have any.

Even if you can't make an event, if you are teaching English here and could publicise it to students, that would be extremely helpful. There are a relatively small number of people in Japan who understand the seriousness of the climate crisis and some of them are moving heaven and earth to try and raise awareness and would greatly appreciate your cooperation in mobilising people to tackle the greatest problem that the world is currently facing.

Thanks.

気候マーチ、11月29日に再び。 (Site in Japanese with locations and information about Japan events)

FridaysForFuture (Site of the worldwide organisation, in English)

Lothor

Donor
Reaction score
I set this thread up to raise awareness of actions against climate change taking part in Japan. People interested in the subject may also find this Japan Times podcast worth watching. Japan's youth (with some justification) gets criticism for their apathy, although I think the social system here is designed to be encourage passivity in the population, particularly the young. Anyway, there is a small but growing movement against climate change and this podcast (in English) gives in-depth interviews with two young and highly articulate Japanese people at the forefront of the movement.

Lothor

Donor
Reaction score
XR Japan now have their website up (in English and Japanese) and have some interesting opportunities for volunteers. See the website for details.

Lothor

Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, @Lothor!
You're welcome! As you can see from the site, a major aim of the group is to raise awareness of the scale of the problem in Japan (one of the countries predicted to suffer greatest damage from climate change) so people whose Japanese and English are good enough to do translation work are particularly welcomed.