What's new

Japan Withdrawals

LovableLeo

後輩
24 Apr 2006
Now that I've been back in stateside for a month or so, I've been having serious Japan withdrawals. Even though my host parents didn't speak English all that well, I miss them and especially my host sister. I want to go back! After having lived there for only two weeks, I want to make a career out of teaching English in Japan. I had always thought about it, but now that I've gotten a good look at Japanese culture and people and schools, I definitely want to do it. This is just a vent for a poor American desperately wanting some homemade miso soup...:(

You can buy miso stateside - I used to have it for breakfast when I wasn't feeling 100% back home.

Great, you want to work here - time to start researching whats required, getting whats required and making plans ;)

I'm sure your host family feels the same as you do, and it would be nice if you can keep in touch with them. Maybe you can ask them to come over to see you in America.

I agree with Ewok, you can be a step closer to your goal by researching, and pretty soon you will have a solid plan.

Its been about a year and a half since I left Japan (after living there for 5 years) and I still find myself going through 'withdrawal'!

Its cool that you want to go back, once you get your university degree you should have no trouble getting a job teaching English over there.

Good luck!

In the same boat

I feel for you man, I was there for two weeks this summer and had the time of my life. I miss everything, especially the friends I made there. I also found myself to grow close to alot of the other people on the homestay trip(which I diddnt expect at all at a first glance). The very second I stepped off the plane and viewed the Portland airport, I was in deep sorrow.

This may be a bit bold but I compare my experience in Japan to an experience with ecstasy. I had the time of my life there and I may forget things I did in Japan, but I will never forget how Japan made me feel. Something in japan opened me up along with the others who were in my group, we grew very close. I have left the country with a pair of eyes that were never in me before. I almost feel sorry for my friends. Returning home was like a big crash for me, I cant wait to return.
I was ridiculously alive in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom