What's new

Travel Japan Travel After Deportation

CalseyTokyo

Registered
28 May 2014
I hope this is the forum to post this question. Anyhow, back in 2000 when I was 19, I was an idiot and I worked at a nightclub on a tourist visa. The club was raided and I was detained behind bars for 3 weeks before being sent home. I was banned for 5 years.
I want to go back to Japan on holiday with my 6 year old this year. Just for a one week holiday. I spoke to the Japanese embassy in London-they say by their records my ban is finished and I'm free to go but they couldn't guarantee an immigration officer wouldn't deny me entry -at his own whim.
I wondered if anyone had been in a similar position of returning after deportation- whether immigration are in the slightest bit interested after all this time and what happens?
Osaka detention centre is quite possibly one of the worst possible places I have ever had to stay and don't ever want to return there even for a moment.
I be happy to hear your thoughts and opinions thanks.

Entry into ANY country is always at the discretion of the immigration officer, which is why the embassy won't guarantee you anything.

The worst thing that could happen is that you would be refused entry, which would mean being put on another flight out of the country, not being detained here.

The most you can do is try contacting immigration, but I don't think it's really necessary. Today is the age of digital information storage, but back in 2000 they might not have done that, so just on that account you might be safe. Having a different passport might also be to your advantage.

The ban period is over anyway, and that should suffice. Just don't look like you're trafficking in children, and you should be ok.

Hi Guys Thanks for your reply's. Glenski, Indeed I have a different passport however, the authorities will still have my information. When I went through the deportation process they took my fingerprints down. I assume they are still stored on the database somewhere. So, when go through passport control and fingerprint me they probably get a hit. Also, I would have to write down on the disembarkation card they I have been deported in the past if caught lying I'm in the ****.

I have contacted the immigration bureaus. They just said "it's up to the discretion of the immigration officer". It was a long time ago I just hope they have forgiven by now. Wish me luck. Thank You

It wouldn't matter whether you've never even been here before or not, you will never get any answer other than "it is up to the discretion of the examining immigration officer". That's standard for everybody in pretty much any country in the world.

Hi, I just wanted to update everyone what happened. I travelled to Japan about three weeks ago. At passport control the immigration officer highlighted the yes box that I ticked which asked if I been deported from Japan in the past. Another immigration officer came and guided me to a room. He asked me a series of questions of what happened in the past. Then, I was guided to what I can only describe has a basement. I was giving a questionnaire which had about 20 questions that I had to fill. They were mostly if I had family, spouse, a Japanese guarantor etc. I had neither. At this point I was worried I just thought I was going to be denied entry. After the form was filled I spoke to the immigration officer. I was apologetic. He just asked me what happened in the past. How much funds I have. Do you have a job, family at home. He eventually allowed me entry and just said "don't overstay again" Which I didn't I came home on time. But a big relief I was allowed entry.
I am telling you this in case someone has overstayed and his considering visiting Japan again. This is what you can expect. I hope it helped.

Congratulations, and thanks for being so kind as to tell us how it went. I've seen your situation posted many times before, but I don't recall ever seeing a post that described in detail what happened at immigration once a person with an old deportation came clean on re-entry. Glad you got through (even if it was a bit nerve-wracking).

Thanks very much, indeed. It is all too rare that anyone in any situation comes back with an update. It not only satisfies our idle curiosity, it adds to the searchable knowledge available when somebody else finds themselves in the same situation.

I hope you enjoyed your stay.

Back
Top Bottom