What's new

Japan stunned by schoolgirl's murder

kirei_na_me

Where I'm Supposed to Be
31 Jan 2003
TOKYO (Reuters) - A stunned Japan was searching for answers on Wednesday after an 11-year-old schoolgirl killed a classmate by slashing her throat, the latest in a string of violent crimes by children.

Japan, which had long prided itself on being relatively crime-free, has in recent years been confronted by an increasing number of gruesome youth crimes that have prompted it to lower the age of criminal responsibility.

Stunned Japan Agonizes Over Schoolgirl Stabbing

I can't imagine an 11-year-old girl slashing someone's throat and then strolling back into class with blood all over her clothes. :unsure: :(

Hum...sad indeed...
Either she's from a ninja family or she really hated her classmate (you know: bullying, menacing to tell a secret...). Kids sometimes don't have much self control...

Yeah, but even so, by the age of 7 children know that killing is wrong, much less 11.

But, this is the way that Japanese has been slowly turning over the last 10 years and probably longer if you were to look back. The Japanese education system and parents in Japan are getting more relaxed compared to before...so I think that it would be time to crack that whip to get things in order.

I'm so glad guns are illegal in Japan, and very few people own hunting rifles.

They could have situations similar to Columbine or the other town in the U.S. where some kid opened fire in school.

Golgo_13 said:

They could have situations similar to Columbine or the other town in the U.S. where some kid opened fire in school.
Yeah, anyone saw that LAPD Police program thing on.. I think it was Dateline NBC? Southern LA looks like one pretty messed up place. I don't think I'm ever going to go there... :(

Golgo_13 said:

Yes, I think this is one reason why Japan is so safe.

well...actually guns are just a fast way too kill people but there's still other weapon from katanas and shuriken to a single knife (or even some sharpened chopsticks like I've seen in a J-movie).
However it's hard to understand what a child is thinking sometimes, and since they don't have much control, they're really impulsives even though they know something's forbidden...

dreamer said:
there's still other weapon from katanas and shuriken (or even some sharpened chopsticks like I've seen in a J-movie).

But, when is the last time you've seen a Japanese person carry around some of those...maybe the chopsticks but that's for lunch, etc.. :D

I know this topic is serious but I couldn't resist. 🙂

Scary thing to see one of your classmates go berserk without signs. :unsure:

What have these kids been watching? :?
There was a group of boys in my place who was also accused of molesting a girl neighbor. Later when they were questioned, they said they saw the act in a movie and got curious...

Buddha Smoker said:
Yes, I think this is one reason why Japan is so safe.

Buying or carrying guns is also illegal in Europe and most developed countries except the US. But people don't need guns to commit crimes. A knife (or katana for that matter) is enough. Real criminals (mafia, gangs, etc.) can get guns on the black market anyway (and obviously do not care if it's illegal). So I think Japan is safe for other reasons too.

But the US hasn't the 4th highest rate of murder by firearms in the world for nothing.

Maciamo said:
Buying or carrying guns is also illegal in Europe and most developed countries except the US. But people don't need guns to commit crimes. A knife (or katana for that matter) is enough. Real criminals (mafia, gangs, etc.) can get guns on the black market anyway (and obviously do not care if it's illegal). So I think Japan is safe for other reasons too.

But the US hasn't the 4th highest rate of murder by firearms in the world for nothing.

Isn't it weird how Americans are different from everybody? They don't use the Metric system either??

And that really bugs me, Smoker! :mad:

So many things bug me about the U.S. Where to begin? I do have to admit that I like my little section of it, though.

That's quite freaky indeed... I'm sure the little girl wasn't able to overlook the full consequences of her doing.
dadako said:
that stats site is amazing.

btw its the poeple not the guns, look at this;
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_rap
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_adu_pro_cap

but this tells a totally different picture:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_tot_cri_cap

There is a theory that theres more crime when the summers are hotter, so that debunks these results as being average, as they are from 1999&2000 only.
That's quite interesting indeed. When we assume the crimes in the US as 100%, then...
- Canada had only 27% of the rape crimes
- Germany has only 8,4% of the rape crimes
- Japan has only 2,5% of the rape crimes

Also interesting, the "Most militaristic" graph:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/mil_exp_dol_fig_cap
US holds the thirs place (after Israel and Singapore). Germany ist 19., and Japan is 27. place.

kirei_na_me said:
And that really bugs me, Smoker! :mad:

So many things bug me about the U.S. Where to begin? I do have to admit that I like my little section of it, though.

At least you enjoy your part but I doubt that I ever return. :D I have my slice right here in Japan. 👍

I agree, US is a bit too different. Perhaps that's just it. It's just a weird different place with different types of people and different metric system from the rest of the world. :D :D

Frank D. White said:
The more freedom you get, the more crazies you get?

Frank

:?

Yes, because some people confuse "freedom" with freedom to do whatever they want.

It all boils down to good parenting.

Your freedom finishs where other's one starts.
Too many things that lead this girl to act... but none to focus on.
Reading this thread just stoke me. Impossible for me to start thinking of any cause, I feel too sorry for this girl. She is the only one to blame, but also to feel feel sorry for. (Sorry hard to express properly in my poor english).

I just want to add that this kind of thing doesn't happen in Japan ALL the time.

Kids can be trusted with deadly weapons. :D :sorry:

Back
Top Bottom