What's new

Japan says China has become 'serious problem' to security

Eisuke

先輩
28 Nov 2003
Japan says China has become 'serious problem' to security

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 15 April 2005 1030 hrs

TOKYO : Japan said Friday that China had become a "serious problem" to its security through its energy development in disputed waters, although it stressed that the Asian giants should seek stable relations.

Japan's annual book on diplomacy, which coincided with a sharp rise in tensions between the countries, cited China's energy development in the East China Sea and last year's incursion of a Chinese nuclear submarine in the area.

"A serious problem impeding Japan's security and sovereign rights emerged" from China's actions, the foreign ministry book said.

But the report also said the both countries should mend fences.

"Stable Japan-China relations are indispensable for the peace and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region," said the book, which is released each year to look back on developments in Japan's foreign relations.

Last November, Japan protested to China after the submarine spent about two hours near the contested gas field before zigzagging toward Chinese waters in a two-day chase by Japanese destroyers and a patrol plane.

Japan on Wednesday ended decades of hesitation and said it would let its companies drill for oil and gas in the disputed area. Beijing, which began drilling in 2003, called the move a "provocation".

China last weekend saw some of its biggest demonstrations in years, as protesters pelted the Japanese embassy with bottles and cans and accused Japan of not atoning for its bloody 1931-1945 occupation of the country.

China's anti-Japanese websites and Internet forums have called for a second wave of rallies against Japan this weekend.

The diplomacy report came two days ahead of Foreign Minister Nobutaka Machimura's trip to Beijing, where he is due to tell the Chinese government to halt alleged official approval of the anti-Japanese demonstrations. - AFP

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/142727/1/.html

Here is another article with news about this:

We Have No Reason to Apologize, China Tells Japan
Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:52 AM ET

By John Ruwitch and Linda Sieg

BEIJING/TOKYO (Reuters) - China told Japan bluntly Sunday it had no reason to apologize after weeks of anti-Japanese protests, some violent, in cities across China.

The Chinese are furious at a revised Japanese school textbook they say whitewashes atrocities during Japan's 1931-45 occupation of China. They also strongly oppose Tokyo's bid for a permanent seat alongside Beijing on the U.N. Security Council.

China denies tacitly encouraging the anti-Japanese unrest and has pledged to protect Japanese businesses and nationals.

"The Chinese government has never done anything for which it has to apologize to the Japanese people," Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing told his visiting Japanese counterpart, Nobutaka Machimura, at a meeting.

"The main problem now is that the Japanese government has done a series of things that have hurt the feelings of the Chinese people ... especially in its treatment of history."

Machimura flew to China Sunday to try to heal relations between the two Asian powerhouses which are at their worst in decades. He demanded China deal with the protests swiftly even as they spread from Shanghai Saturday to cities across the country Sunday.

Japan is asking for compensation for attacks on Japanese property in China and an official apology, but Li did not offer either, Japanese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hatsuhisa Takashima told reporters.

Machimura said it was unfortunate that China refused to apologize, Kyodo news agency said.

"China's top leaders seem not to understand the huge shock that the Japanese public has felt over this issue," he was quoted as telling reporters after the talks. "I found the response very unfortunate."

Homepage | Reuters

This is ridiculous. China is just as stubborn as Japan in this respect. They are making Japan apologize while they are conducting these brutal actions. Pelting bottles at an embassy reminds me of the Cambodian fascist government of 1970 - when the government mobs sacked the North Vietnamese embassy in Phnom Penh. This isn't that drastic - but I hope that it doesn't turn violent. If they ever do anything more brutal to the embassy stuff I think Japan should withdraw its embassy staff. This has gotten out of hand.

Eisuke said:

BEIJING/TOKYO (Reuters) - China told Japan bluntly Sunday it had no reason to apologize after weeks of anti-Japanese protests, some violent, in cities across China.

This really is pathetic, if they cant apologise then they should no way expect Japan to. This is extreamly hypocritical and this behavior is quite childish and it does make me lose alot of respect for the Chinese people.
By doing this they are contradicting what they are protesting for.

I can't help thinking it works the other way around aswell, and honestly, I personally believe it is in the order I believe it should be.. :sorry:

Either way, if they will keep being like this down there, the future of the area looks somewhat gloomier.

Both sides are equally guilty of their childish behavior, and unless we have somebody from the U.N. fixing this problem I don't see it getting any better in the near future.

Doc:ramen:😄

Hiroshi66 said:
This is ridiculous. China is just as stubborn as Japan in this respect.
Exactly. If the PRC apologised, they would admit that they are responsible for the demonstrations. Which they obviously don't want to.
But you should not forget that Japan is guilty of a bit more than throwing bottles.

This has gotten out of hand.
Actually, no, it hasn't. As you can see in Beijing, the PRC government is quite able to control the streets it they want to.

India and China just finally got along. Don't start something with a relationship that's already fragile enough as it is.

Doc:ramen:😄

Bossel, you missed my point. I meant that this has gotten out of hand because its spread all over Eastern China. Its now in Shenyang which means that its spread to Manchuria.

Actually, what China has done throughout its history is much worse. The Japanese were foreign invaders who massacred the Chinese. But the Chinese government of the 60s and 70s killed its own people. Many Khmer left-wingers CONSTANTLY gripe about the French ocupation and how brutal it was. The French occupation was very brutal. Nonetheless, it was not as bloody as in Vietnam. Also, they usually skip over the horror of the Khmer Rouge. Ever since Sihanouk abdicated this seems to have vanished for some reason.

But anyways, there is a similar situation going on here. Japan is a foreign invader, the communists (in their textbooks) liberated China from both this and the "horrid" ROC regime (which killed but didn't kill as much as the PRC) regime, but they continued the pillaging. The Khmer Rouge did the same. I just can't believe that there are people on this board which only see Japanese apology as a goal. Japan is apologizing to a regime which murders. If the Japanese government apologies BECAUSE of these marches I will be angry. Japan shouldn't apologize and make it look like its getting intimidated.

I support a Japanese apology, but I don't think the PRC deserves one after this behavior. I think the Japanese ambassador should be recalled if the embassy is sacked.

The Taiwanese, the Malays of Malaysia and Singapore, Thai, Vietnamese, Khmer, Laotians, and some Burmese, Filipino, and Indonesians love the Japanese. They listen to Japanese music and love Japan. These countries were all under Japanese occupation. Taiwan was under occupation for 50 years. The Phillipines faced a "Rape of Manila" in 1945. Malaysia and Singapore were bombed heavily. Thailand was forced to join the axis or face brutal massacre. Vietnam faced famine. Cambodia and Laos faced famine, air raids, and a brutal military police. Burma and Indonesia faced jail and attemped cultural erasing. But all these countries have realized that Japan wasn't all that bad, and now that its changed so much.

After Taiwanese saw the hated KMT regime up close, they had fond memories of the japanese occupation. After the Vietnamese (both north and south) saw the horrors of the Indochina war, they couldn't help but remember the French and Japanese occupations. As Laotians and Cambodians worked in their communal camps in the 1970s, at least one or two might have remembered the Japanese.

Its only South Korea and the PRC really. Even South Korea got an apology. Emperor Akihito apologized. His father had as well. What more do they want? I admit that the PRC has not recieved one. But why should they when they behave like this? Mobs sacking embassies does not seem very peaceful to me.

Respond as you like. I hope we can have an academic discussion here and not another bloodbath.

Hiroshi66 said:
Actually, what China has done throughout its history is much worse.
That depends on the definition of "worse." I'd say comparable (but you can compare pretty much everything, even apples & pears).

Japan is apologizing to a regime which murders.
[...]
I support a Japanese apology, but I don't think the PRC deserves one after this behavior.
Nope, they should apologise for what they did to the people, not to a certain government. That would be a silly idea.

The Phillipines faced a "Rape of Manila" in 1945.
& they got an apology by the emperor, if I'm correctly informed.

Its only South Korea and the PRC really.
I don't know about the current textbook issue, but in the past the Philippines protested Japanese textbooks as well.
Anyway, does it matter? One country or ten?

What more do they want?
That's the point. An apology is not enough (perhaps not even necessary), Japan should recognise its guilt. Obviously there is a certain lack in Japan when it comes to admitting past crimes. As in the case of what Iris translated: "Japan was no exception".
Like the kid that peed in bed & shouts: "Look, that guy sh*t in his pants!" :eek:

bossel said:
& they got an apology by the emperor, if I'm correctly informed.

Oh, did they? Well, then its just the PRC then.

bossel said:
That's the point. An apology is not enough (perhaps not even necessary), Japan should recognise its guilt. Obviously there is a certain lack in Japan when it comes to admitting past crimes. As in the case of what Iris translated: "Japan was no exception".
Like the kid that peed in bed & shouts: "Look, that guy sh*t in his pants!" :eek:

Japan should recognize its guilt. It HAS TO. I do believe that most Japanese now know in their hearts that they were responsible for World War II. Most countries have gotten apologies. Except the PRC. Does the government deserve one? I think that Japan should apologize "to the Chinese people" and not the Chinese government. Because the Chinese government does things to the Chinese people that Japan once did sixty years before. These student revolts should be enough for Japan to just shut them up by apologizing and then pull the embassy staff out of there. I wish Japan recognized the ROC regime which actually likes Japan.

I don't think there are too many Japanese youth today who deny that Japan invaded China. They are more interested in Takuya Kimura and Morning Musume to even care.

China is trying to divert its people's frustrations to the outside, as they have always done, and as Japan did in the 1930s by invading Asia. However, Japan is still quick to blame other countries for its problems, be it China, the US or others. The Japanese always want to make themselves appear like victims. Even now, Japan asked for an apology from China for the demonstration. That's pretty far-fetched considering that Chinese people are demonstrating to get an apology from Japan.

Almost all the Japanese I have talked to about this issue say they do not understand why the Chinese are attacking the Japanese embassy/consulates, Japanese restaurants, people, etc. They always looked at it as if Japan was innocent in the first place, and the Chinese had no reason to complain. When I ask them why the demonstration took place (I sometimes feign ignorance to see how much they know), they know about the war apologies, history textbooks and Yasukuni-jinja (although almost nobody mentioned Japan's bid for the UN Security Council). Yet, their reaction is, "Japan has nothing to apologise for, Japan is a victim, and the Chinese hate us and will always hate us..."

Most of the people I talked to were convinced that the Chinese were protesting because they had been brainwashed to hate Japan and Japanese people since childhood. Many Japanese think that the Chinese hate today's Japanese. But if it were true, there would be many more problems and violent attacks, considering that thousands of Japanese companies are established in China, and several million Chinese visit Japan each year. Many of today's Chinese people like or even admire Japan for its technology or pop culture. They want peace and friendship with Japan. Only tens of thousands of people marched in the anti-Japan demonstration, asking for a proper apology, not money or anything else.

Please look at these interviews of Chinese citizens by the BBC regarding their opinion of Japan. Most people say they like Japanese people but that it would be better for the Japanese government to apologise for WWII.

Last edited by a moderator:
Japan kill so many chinese.Now china and india merge.Their population and arm forces,not a single country in the world can win.Japan don't surrender sure die for sure. China human shield alot,send army use knife fight japan sure win too.

Come now, XsteelWolf. China and India will merge and attack Japan. This new country you speak off will be in a civil war before its in a war with Japan. Who will rule? China or India? This draconian method of thinking will make matters worse.

China will win no matter what.Go read history.In the past even the 8 alliance cant bring down china.In US wars,China help alot,or else US will definitely lose.See US now,everything they do must give China face,China now super power.

It's ridiculous that no one are commenting on the appologize of the German for the WWII , they finally gain the respect of ours and we also hope it can have a bright future, but why Japan can't appologize for this. Japanese will think that Chinese is brainwashed from the childhood , but the masscre did happen in 30s in the last century.

What do you think of the feelings of the victims and their parents or brother and sisters??

We remembered that Japan declare that it is to liberate asians to invade China , Korea .etc..BullShit!! We need the evidence , the support for this saying.. I really have no idea of "Liberation" , are robbing , killing and raping the liberation??? If your boss beat you everyday and you have nothing to eat , finally you dead ,but your boss said , i finally liberate him . He should thank me....

We cannot accept the gov't to imbue the innocent WAR concept into the youngsters in Japan nowadays , that is to help japan to clarify their own history , otherwise , the struggle will surely continue forever.

Which direction should the situation take depends on the attitude of Japanese.

XsteelWolf said:
Japan kill so many chinese.Now china and india merge.Their population and arm forces,not a single country in the world can win.Japan don't surrender sure die for sure. China human shield alot,send army use knife fight japan sure win too.

China and India will never merge.
also, we don't want wars, and in this age whoever starts a war, that country would be surrounded by other countries. if there is a war between China and Japan, the other countries won't just be sitting there watching. it could turn into WW3, would you want that to happen?

XsteelWolf, you go read history. I don't see the Chinese active in any war helping the US. The last war were they helped the US was WWII, and that was the old ROC. The PRC has never aided the US.

India now alliance of China,Japan attack, Korea and neighbouring countries of China will definitely come.Doesn't matter ROC or PRC,its still same .All are chinese people.

The Taiwanese, the Malays of Malaysia and Singapore, Thai, Vietnamese, Khmer, Laotians, and some Burmese, Filipino, and Indonesians love the Japanese. They listen to Japanese music and love Japan. These countries were all under Japanese occupation. Taiwan was under occupation for 50 years. The Phillipines faced a "Rape of Manila" in 1945. Malaysia and Singapore were bombed heavily. Thailand was forced to join the axis or face brutal massacre. Vietnam faced famine. Cambodia and Laos faced famine, air raids, and a brutal military police. Burma and Indonesia faced jail and attemped cultural erasing. But all these countries have realized that Japan wasn't all that bad, and now that its changed so much.

This is all wrong.It is the culture and pop they affects the newer generations.However,what they did to us ,still remains history.Take example Singapore,who like the WWII? No demostrations?That's bullshit.If not for Singapore Government being so strict in their laws and regulation,all will go for demonstrations.Demonstrations is never allow in Singapore.All are kept in silence.But the history of the textbook affects Chinese in China more.

You never understand how cruel they are in war.They harm the civilians,thus violating the War rights.They throw babies up into the air and let them land on spears and swords.They pump ur stomach with water it burst.They shoot you in your legs and let it rot and die.Read about the constuction of the death railway in Singapore,see those chinese people.All are living skeletons.

As for myself,yes I am interested in traditions and cultures of Japan,but still what they did to us is what we will never forget.

Japanese are not allowed to interfere with China's civil affairs. Yes, we once killed ourselves in Qin Dynasty or Qing Dynasty or other Dynasties , we appologize for our suicide guilty . But ,as for outside country , Japan , is also not allowed to interfere with any inch of territory , otherwise , they should be killed or at least , they should appologize what they have done deeply and convincingly.

I think its all stupid. For a start it was 60 years ago, all countries done sucky things back then, it was a war and many people died, but no one was right. Everyone done what they done for some reason or another in which they made a choice they may later regret, but an apology aint going to stop that. In a world like today people should just be able to try and move on past that and try and look for a better future. Remember past hostilities is just going to cause more pain and death.

I think the fact the Japanese has a pretty much non existant military is a sign that they know what they done was ******. Whether they are forced to have little military or whether they do it by choice the fact is they know what they done was wrong, if they write it differntly in text books then its to put there peoples minds at ease. China has a vast military which means they at least have the will to go to war and cause yet more death.

TODAYS GENERATION OF JAPANESE DID NOT INVADE CHINA.
So what are they apologising for?

Tim33 said:
I think its all stupid. For a start it was 60 years ago, all countries done sucky things back then, it was a war and many people died, but no one was right. Everyone done what they done for some reason or another in which they made a choice they may later regret, but an apology aint going to stop that. In a world like today people should just be able to try and move on past that and try and look for a better future. Remember past hostilities is just going to cause more pain and death.

China was one of the victims in WW2. in the history, China has never done anything to harm Japan. we all want to move on and have a better future, but we can't move on if someone does not regret of his past mistakes, and what kind of a future would we have if Japan keeps installing those pro-war concepts into the minds of their citizens?

Tim33 said:
I think the fact the Japanese has a pretty much non existant military is a sign that they know what they done was ******. Whether they are forced to have little military or whether they do it by choice the fact is they know what they done was wrong, if they write it differntly in text books then its to put there peoples minds at ease. China has a vast military which means they at least have the will to go to war and cause yet more death.

if they write it differently in textbooks they are brainwashing their citizens.

Tim33 said:
TODAYS GENERATION OF JAPANESE DID NOT INVADE CHINA.
So what are they apologising for?

we are not only demanding an apology from Japan, whats more important is that, the Japanese needs to learn what their country had done in the past and learn to prevent repeating the mistakes again

Back
Top Bottom