What's new

Japan Sandwixhes

Hidden_Wisdom

後輩
8 Dec 2003
I was wondering if japan has made a traditional sandwich or makes a new=type of sandwich you wouldnt see in america.??

could anyone give me recipes
👏

At Japanese grocery stores there are all kinds of strange sandwiches.
-like fried pork (tonkatsu) and egg salad

Man, I miss Sub sandwiches......

I had this weird sandwich that had fish with noodles and some other stuff.I have been trying to figure out what i ate is called so i can make it home.

Ofunaken, the ekiben vendor at Ofuna station was responsible for turning sandwich from exotic&expensive "Western" cuisine to affordable popular snack, back in 1899. It became the archetype of "sandwiches" in Japan, rectangular white bread, crusts removed.

related thread

Last edited:
bezz said:
Ofunaken, the ekiben vendor was responsible for turning sandwich from exotic&expensive "Western" cuisine to affordable popular snack, back in 1899. It became the archetype of "sandwiches" in Japan, rectangular white bread, crusts removed.

Wow, I didn't realise they went back that far - I thought they were a modern idea when I saw them in Japan.
I suppose they're like the proverbial 'cucumber sandwich' seen at posh English Cricket matches.

Anyone for Pimms !

Hidden_Wisdom said:
I had this weird sandwich that had fish with noodles and some other stuff.I have been trying to figure out what i ate is called so i can make it home.

Was it a yakisoba sandwich?

I actually really liked the egg salad and katsu sandwiches I used to get in convenience stores. They helped soak up all the beer I'd consume before catching last train.

This sandwich looks yummy~

I love egg salad sandwich. It's simply but taste good!
Just mince a couple of boiled eggs, add mayo, salt and pepper, and sandwich in the egg mixture between two slices of bread. A couple of sliced cucumber or tomato goes well with it, too~ *drools*

Q

Originally Posted by MeAndroo
Was it a yakisoba sandwich? I actually really liked the egg salad and katsu sandwiches I used to get in convenience stores.
Mmmmmm...I love them all too.
And here is real Japanese type sandwich.
Anko sandwich
And these.
Which one makes you drool?:)

I just realized how much I'm going to miss Togo's, Panera and the Bread Store! My kingdom for a Turkey and Avocado on whole wheat! I might go there later today..

What I've noticed about sandwiches in Japan is that the breads they use are so thinly sliced, which seems to be influenced by tea party sandwiches in England.
In comparison, I thought it was interesting how a lot of the Japanese like their toast thick.

misa.j said:
What I've noticed about sandwiches in Japan is that the breads they use are so thinly sliced, which seems to be influenced by tea party sandwiches in England.
In comparison, I thought it was interesting how a lot of the Japanese like their toast thick.

I can't help but wonder if they reserve the nice thick pieces for toast (I love the bread they use for toast) because there's so many other flavors in a sandwich that the bread might get lost in all of it. My host mom used to make me sandwiches with the thicker bread and they'd invariably end up squished in my backpack and soggy with mayo. Since the loaves she'd buy were always like 6 slices, I asked her to just use cheaper bread, and I didn't really notice a difference.

As far as the store bought ones, I can only assume it's to keep them cheap.

Back
Top Bottom