What's new

Japan recruits foreigners to improve its travel advice

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
Japan recruits foreigners to improve its travel advice

TOKYO (Reuters) – Japan is planning to recruit dozens of foreigners to visit the country and give advice on how to make things more travel-friendly for non-Japanese speaking visitors even as it aims for higher tourist numbers.

The government will pay travel allowances to about 100 native English, Chinese and Korean speakers to visit key cities and come up with ideas on how to make it easier for travelers to use public transport, stay at local hotels and eat at local restaurants, said an official at the Japan Tourism Agency.

"What we hear is that there really isn't enough information on things like how to buy train tickets, or how to use the baths in traditional Japanese inns," said the official....

Read the whole article here

It's a nice idea of getting advice from foreign visitors, although I think it will be a lot cheaper to ask tourists that are already inside Japan by putting survey lists inside hotel rooms for example.

What are your experiences when you came to Japan. Maybe we can make a list over here and actually send them to the National Tourism Organization (... only thing is, you won't get paid for it).

* roman letters for all the train stations names on the boards above the ticket machines at the train stations.
* better maps at the hiking paths.
* more garbages bins on the streets... I got used to not having them but when I first came here I was just shocked about not being able to trow my trash away.

I'm sure that you guys have some other and better idea's.

Nothing is going to change. If they were truly serious, there are too many sensible steps (like not cutting tourism-related budgets) that would have already been taken.

Basically, tourism to Japan depends on two things: Relations with China and the exchange rate. And those who do come are going to be disproportionately Asian or domestic anyway since as a country it doesn't have the large areas of natural, unspoiled landscapes to attract Westerners.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/...-promotion-to-be-halved-from-ministry-request

The government is considering halving its tourism-related budget for fiscal 2010 to about 13 billion yen from the sum requested by the tourism ministry in view of a severe assessment by a key government body tasked with cutting wasteful spending, sources close to the matter said.

Last edited:
how is Japan in terms of the English speaking population?

Depends what you define as "English speaking"

Fluent> I would say you are looking at less than 10 percent

Can hold a conversation depending on the topic> 25 percent

Can hold a simple conversation but probably do not want to try> 25 percent

Know a few phrases etc> 30 percent

Will run away screaming> 10 percent (just kidding)..

This is interesting...

Ok my first time to Japan was in 1993 and the stations had very little English for the signs, I was constantly getting lost trying to find my girl friends house between Tokyo and Yokohama. So that has improved over the years, especially wit hthe advent of digital displays on/in the trains themselves. However I think the ticket counter maps could have a smaller map to the side or a pamphlet in english, I really don't think tourists expect a country to change their infra structure totally to accomidate them (where would the adventure be in that) but an english map to the side or available pamphlet would greatly help.

Highway maps in english with corresponding Kanji for exits would be most helpful.

Personally I think the native people shouldn't need to speak a foreign language unless they are in the tourist trade, even then it's only a "nice to have". I expect that most tourists that are willing to travel overseas should be realistic and aware of the possibility of a language barrier and prepare themselves with a pocket translator/book. I know Americans are the worst at this... the "hmm they must not have heard me so I will speak s l o w e r a n d L O U D E R" comes to my mind... my aunt when she met my in-laws for the first time did this.

I like Dutch's suggestion of garbage bins but I understand why they don't have them... security and the fact that it cuts down on the city budget by not having to pick up the trash and seperate recyclables.

If I were to improve the tourism industry I would come up with informational maps on the tourist areas that in English (please hire a native speaker to do it though) and have the corresponding Kanji next to it so that the tourist can read in their native language and picture match the Kanji. These maps should be available at ports of entry and given free of charge. Possibly distribute them to travel agencies to help entice tourists. Lastly dirrections on proper bath etiquite would be nice for first timers... no soap in the bath tub! :44:

Back
Top Bottom