What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Japan One Year; My Money

TuskCracker

Sempai
Reaction score
I will be in Japan for one school year. Just 9 months

Best way to have access to my money from America

-> Cahsier Check, carried with me, and create accounts in Japan

-> ATM access from Bank-Of-America, or Sun-Bank, or Wachivo

-> The standby, Traveller Checks

NOTE: I do not have anybody in United States to put money into an account. On my own.

_.

yukio_michael

Sempai
Reaction score
You'll of course need your gaijin registration card before you can open up a bank account in Japan, but you'll be getting this anyways.

You should find a bank that does over-seas transfers. While in Japan, I had a money market account at a brokerage firm and normally it took about 1 day to process a wire transfer right into a local Chiba bank.

That's the easist way--- I think, also, the firm didn't charge me any sort of wire-transfer fee... Look into that because 10 dollars is 10 dollars when you are transfering your own money.

At one time I was going to try to use cheques to open an account but I didn't get around to this, so maybe someone else can answer that----

ps. can someone confirm, I've not heard good things about travelers cheques for use in Japan?

Also--- more than likely your atm card/cc card wont work in any machine.

ps. Also, what sort of sponsor did you arange, this is also my concern for going to school in Japan within the next year. thx.

xerxes99

Robot/Ninja
Reaction score
It can be difficult using Travelers Cheques at a retailer, but I didn't have any problem exchanging them at my bank. Regular foreign currency checks can be a problem though. It can take a month or more to clear.
I usually use Lloyds for my money transfers.

yukio_michael

Sempai
Reaction score
xerxes99 said:
I usually use Lloyds for my money transfers.
Loyds has international branches, yes? One thing to note that causes some bankers unfamilar with this notion is that, banks that do not have an overseas branch (my chiba bank for example) do not have a 'routing code' the code that normally tells a US branch what location the bank is at.

This caused a few of my bankers unfamiliar with this some confusion at first. Just an fyi.

Thunderthief

Kouhai
Reaction score
I would just empty my bank account, exchange it all at an exchange booth, and then redesposit it in a Japanese bank, saves you all the transfer effort.

yukio_michael

Sempai
Reaction score
Thunderthief said:
I would just empty my bank account, exchange it all at an exchange booth, and then redesposit it in a Japanese bank, saves you all the transfer effort.
Yes, but if you leave it open, people or entities can transfer money to your home bank account, maybe easier than your overseas account.

Besides, if you could keep it open, I would never recomend closing your bank account, he's going for a year, for now.

Top Bottom