What's new

Japan mid-October from Oct 10-19th.

ellechic14

先輩
11 Sep 2008
Hi All -
I will be in Japan mid-October from Oct 10th-19th.
I plan to purchase a 7-day JR pass to use from Oct 12th-18th and just using a pay-per-ride going to and from Narita and Tokyo and days when I'm in Tokyo all day to not waste my 7-day pass.

Below is my (ambitious) itinerary:
Thurs, Oct 9: leave NYC for Tokyo
Fri, Oct 10: arrive in Narita Airport - Tokyo (PM)
Sat, Oct 11: Tokyo (all day)
Sun, Oct 12: Tokyo -> Nikko (AM) -> Tokyo (PM)
Mon, Oct 13: Tokyo -> Kamakura or Hakone (AM)? -> Tokyo or Kyoto
Tues, Oct 14: Tokyo/Kyoto -> Kyoto (all day) [Happy 25th Birthday to me!]
Wed, Oct 15: Kyoto (all day)
Thurs, Oct 16: Nara (AM) -> Osaka (PM)
Fri, Oct 17: Osaka (all day) [or Osaka (AM) -> Tokyo (PM)]
Sat, Oct 18: Tokyo
Sun, Oct 19: leave Tokyo for NYC - JFK

What do you guys/girls think?
Any suggestions with itinerary? I know it seems too much but with only 1-3hr train ride between each cities, it just seems very plausible as others are just day or morning trips from the major cities of Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka.

I haven't booked my accomodations yet, so recommendations are very much welcome!
Since I will be traveling solo, anyone want to join me on this trip is welcome, too! Feel free to msg or email me at ellechic[at]gmail.com

Actually kamakura is supposedly prettier during the end of october.
As for accomodation, hotels are not that expensive around here and if you're on a low budget, you also have the option of chosing capsule hotels (not that comfortable though).

Actually kamakura is supposedly prettier during the end of october.
As for accomodation, hotels are not that expensive around here and if you're on a low budget, you also have the option of chosing capsule hotels (not that comfortable though).

Oooh... I see. I hope to see the foliage when I visit Nikko.

If I choose Kamakura, which city listed on my itinerary would I be able to get a good onsen with a nice view? Because that is what I was thinking for Hakone.
Does Kyoto have good onsen places?

Onsen in the suburbs of Kyoto
Kurama onsen
Yama no Yado − Mizu no Yado Kurama Spa

It is a list of onsen of Kyoto.
Because I use a translation web site, it may not be translated justly.:sorry:
http://translation.infoseek.co.jp/?...ocn.ne.jp/~spa-mich/todofuken/kyoto/kyoto.htm

Hakone and suburban onsen
http://translation.infoseek.co.jp/?....jp/~spa-mich/todofuken/kanagawa/kanagawa.htm

Besides Hakone, Atami of Shizuoka is recommended.

http://translation.infoseek.co.jp/?....jp/~spa-mich/todofuken/shizuoka/shizuoka.htm

I'd recommend looking into staying at ryokans (Japanese inns). Most are family-run and can be a lot cheaper than hotels.

Hiroyuki - Thanks for the suggestions... I'm looking into Kurama onsen since they offer a day-trip..."economical dining/bath package".. now if only I can figure out how to get there...
... first time traveling solo... so my neurotic and OCD-behavior is sky-high...

Does the JR Odawara Station have luggage storage available?

I am debating whether I want to stay a night in Hakone or just do the Hakone Round Course if the Odawara Station provide a luggage storage wherein I can leave my big luggage at 8am and retrieve it at 3pm to go on Kyoto that same day. And is 1day/night in Kyoto enough to see the must-sees in Kyoto? What do you think?

If not, which affordable ryokan (with or without outdoor onsen) do you recommend in the Hakone-Yumoto area and close to the Hakone-Yumoto Station or Odawara Station. Max budget: $60.

Thanks!

JR東日本:駅構内図(小田原駅)
This is the map of JR Odawara Station.
Blue strips are platforms, and the small blue icon with a key mark means luggage lockers.

One concern is how big your luggage is and how big these lockers are...
Considering Hakone is a very popular tourist place, I assume that they should have lockers where you can accomodate big luggages, but I'm not certain the size.

@ undrentide: thanks... i think i'm just going to bring a smaller carry-on luggage size (and leave my bigger luggage in Tokyo) so its easier to drag along with me and using the station lockers...

Thanks, Hiroyuki.. But I plan to leave my luggage at the hostel I'll be staying at... I think they offer free storage.. if not, i'll use the on at Tokyo Station as you suggest.

Domo arigato, Hiroyuki! It's nice to have choices... I was so sure I'd stay at Shunkoso since I dont have other choice... but we''ll see. I just might settle for Sunkoso in the end... but Hakonenomori-Okada looks very tempting! ^_^

is Nara a must-see place? i'm still tweaking my itinerary and wondered if going to Nara is a must thing to do.

With my trip to Japan looming close - only 4 days left! - and my 10-day itinerary/accomodations/JRpass all set, I'm researching and planning a timetable for the actual days... it sounds neurotic of me but it's never set in stone, it just help me organize my thought.

Because I plan to go to Nikko for a day-trip on Sunday, Oct 12th, and want to see the Harajuku which I was told is only on Sundays... from what time are they there?
I plan to have an early start to Nikko and hopefully be back by 4pm in Tokyo. Will they still be there?

Thanks

The route which arrives at Harajuku from sunlight at 4:00 p.m.
You leave JR sunlight Station at 1:35 p.m.
At 2:31 p.m., you go from Utsunomiya to Tokyo.
Sinkansen (YAMABIKO54).
You arrive at Tokyo at 3:24 p.m.
From Tokyo Station to Harajuku, it is 25 minutes in Yamanote Line.

From Tokyo Station to sunlight
I go to Utsunomiya by the Sinkansen of 6:16 a.m.
You get on a train departing from Utsunomiya at 7:41 a.m.
You arrive at Nikko at 8:25 a.m.,

A circulation bus with sunlight Tosho-gu Shrine departs at JR sunlight Station at 8:29.
A 1Day free pass ticket of a bus is sold at JR sunlight Station.
It is 500 yen.
http://www.tobu-bus.com/pc/free_pass/sekai_isan.html

The route which arrives at Harajuku from sunlight at 4:00 p.m.
You leave JR sunlight Station at 1:35 p.m.
At 2:31 p.m., you go from Utsunomiya to Tokyo.
Sinkansen (YAMABIKO54).
You arrive at Tokyo at 3:24 p.m.
From Tokyo Station to Harajuku, it is 25 minutes in Yamanote Line.
From Tokyo Station to sunlight
I go to Utsunomiya by the Sinkansen of 6:16 a.m.
You get on a train departing from Utsunomiya at 7:41 a.m.
You arrive at Nikko at 8:25 a.m.,
A circulation bus with sunlight Tosho-gu Shrine departs at JR sunlight Station at 8:29.
A 1Day free pass ticket of a bus is sold at JR sunlight Station.
It is 500 yen.

Hiroyuki,
Thanks for your quick response, but I'm a bit confused with your reply.

Just to clarify, are the times you gave on your above response the time I can catch the JR train from Tokyo Sta to Utsunomiya for Nikko, then back to Tokyo? If so, thanks. That is very helpful indeed.
Regarding Harajuku. Are the Harajuku girls, in Harajuku until sundown? So if I return to Tokyo by 4pm, I will still get to see them?

Now about the JR Sunlight Station and the 1-day free pass ticket bus, what does that entail exactly? I know I can take the connecting train from Tokyo Sta or Ueno Sta to Utsunomiya (JR line) to Nikko Sta (JR line).
Is the 1-day bus pass just a bus pass that circulates around Nikko's must see sights? And it's only available for purchase at JR Sunlight Sta?
Thanks as always!

I do not understand whether Harajuku girl watches it in Harajuku at about 4:00 p.m.
Though I pass Harajuku station by commuting, the weekday evening does not see them.
They think that they are in Harajuku on Sunday, a holiday on Saturday.
Because October 13 is a holiday,
The one that went to Harajuku on October 13 considers possibility to meet with them to be high.

A circulation bus of sunlight.
There is a bus to sunlight Tosho-gu Shrine as well as a circulation bus,

Other buses are buses going to the Lake Chuzenji-ko area.
Bus route MAP
http://www.tobu-bus.com/pc/search/rosenzu/nikko.pdf

Ooohhh... I didn't know that bec Oct 13 is a holiday, instead of Sunday, the Harajuku girls might be there on Saturday instead. Thanks! I'll look it up to see if it'll be that way. Thanks, Hiroyuki

Back
Top Bottom