What's new

Japan, Home of the Cute and Inbred Dog

Tokis-Phoenix

先輩
23 Sep 2005
I randomly came across the this issues recently while researching other things about Japan's history and culture. Apparently inbreeding in Japanese dogs is very bad (to a point where it boarders on animal cruelty IMHO) because the Japanese have a penchant for "unique" dogs of pure breeds, like blue Chihuahua's and half-white dachshund's. To make these unusual traits come about, people seriously inbreed the dogs in the hope improving the chances of these recessive traits coming about, because there is big business/money in Japan for such dogs;

Japan, Home of the Cute and Inbred Dog (Published 2006)

IMHO, the situation is pretty appalling considering the cruelty involved of producing these dogs and that;

"The government concedes that oversight is poor, and passed a law in June to revoke the licenses of breeders who use dogs with genetic defects for breeding. But the Environment Ministry, which has jurisdiction over pets, says it has just four officials to monitor all of 25,000 pet shops, kennels and breeders in Japan."

"Japan is about 30 or 40 years behind in dealing with genetic defects," said Takemi Nagamura, president of the Japan Kennel Club."

Japan needs to do a lot more about these issues with fashion animals, animal inbreeding and animal cruelty and abandonment. People in Japan are always looking for the next fad, but its a shame that in the case of these dogs they have to suffer for it just because the Japanese want cosmetically unique or perfect animals. Dogs shouldn't be treated as fad or fashion items, they're living animals which need a lot of commitment and responsibility from the owner if they are to have a good life- what happens to these Japanese dogs when they grow old and are no longer cute and fluffy? Are they simply abandoned and/or put to sleep?

Last edited:
How about kicking idiots.... somewhere? Any objections? Imo, its a perversion to create screwed up creatures, someone who does that surely doesn't love his pet, and so he shouldn't be allowed to keep one.

Last edited:
I agree, i think the problem with the situation though is that many Japanese seem oblivious to the major issues inbreeding causes in animals and that many of these prized dogs have to endure massive inbreeding to achieve their looks. I am sure the Japanese are not a heartless people by nature, so it must be ignorance on their behalf which is why they are buying these dogs.
The inbred dog situation problem is particularly bad in Japan, but unfortunately its not something that is confined to Japan. Most people that i have known that have kept pure breed dogs have actually had such dogs suffer health problems which were mostly likely down to some degree of inbreeding in the dog. To be honest pure breeds do not generally appeal to me at all- IMHO, if someone wants a unique looking dog they should just get a mutt/crossbreed, and if they want a perfect looking dog they should just get a toy.

I once heard a story similar to this where thousands of Dalmatians were being abandoned or put to sleep because they were born deaf or blind from inbreeding. It's a problem all around the world....take the Shar Pei or the Bull Dog, bred to look a certain way despite the fact that this selective breeding was affecting the general health and functionality of the breed.
The problem lies with both the consumers who keep buying these breeds and the Kennel Club breeders that turn unnatural and misformed breeds into the status quo.

Japan just took an already present problem and expanded upon it in the name of fashion and status.

Talk about ill-breeding, several thousands so some status-crazy ***** somewhere can show off his retarded dog... what a sad species we are.

I know chihuahua ( チワワ ) is popular dog breed in Japan,my online J acquaintance has one and her parents recently bought a cute little 3 month-old Pagu puppy.

I know chihuahua ( ニ蛋ニ陳照陳 ) is popular dog breed in Japan,my online J acquaintance has one and her parents recently bought a cute little 3 month-old Pagu puppy.

Having read this article though now would you advise your acquaintance to be more wary about buying such dogs?

Back
Top Bottom