What's new

Japan Forum Is Dead !!!!!!

Grandpa Frank

先輩
21 May 2003
No new threads, no posts to old ones! When nothing is happening, what do you do?? When you're not signed on, are you at another site or off the PC compleatly?? Do you get frustrated when there's no action??
Does it seem to you hours & hours go by with no action. Let's rack our collective brains to come up with interesting new threads & posts so people like me with no life but the JForum don't suffer brain death.
So folks, let's get those fingers moving with inteligent, thought provolking posts !!!!

👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏

lol must admit that today was a partcularly void day... usually there's like 400 new posts for me to sift through when i come on... only about 100 today...

Its just a message board. If there are no new topics, go somewhere else, or get offline.

Its not really that important.

"No new threads, no posts to old ones! When nothing is happening, what do you do?? When you're not signed on, are you at another site or off the PC compleatly?? Do you get frustrated when there's no action??
Does it seem to you hours & hours go by with no action. Let's rack our collective brains to come up with interesting new threads & posts so people like me with no life but the JForum don't suffer brain death.
So folks, let's get those fingers moving with inteligent, thought provolking posts !!!!"

That's because some of our members would much rather bump the same tired old threads to the top day-in, day-out (Posting Celebration and Word Association for instance) rather than have to actually think of an engaging topic to come up with or a well-thought out reply to an existing thread. Such threads have as much intellectual content as a can of soup imho but they require little to no effort to reply to so people just keep on bumping... Recently I posted this awhile back because I thought it was genuinely interesting but of course it got bumped back to page 2 in a matter of days with no replies and less than 20 views as of this writing. Why even bother...
:)
"Hold on to your humanity: An open letter to GIs in Iraq"

The members coming online seem so few and there seem to be many more guests instead..

Mebe we need some topics that aren't exclusive to certain cliques only...

Actually I think such rapid growth in membership is probably a lot of what is wrong with the current state of things here. At least when I first came on, a year or so ago, the quality was immeasurably higher.

It's been my experience with most forums that membership just about explodes with summer vacation. Kids get bored and start looking for online time-wasters. Luckily, most of the fanboys and fangirls tend to go for the ones with the lowest braincell count requirements. Unlike some forums (coughjpopmusiccough), this one is practically a think tank. I have never been "glomped" in here (and the first person to do so will get a personal @$$kicking from me). :box: :box:

So, the question is - do you want quality or quantity? I would take one thread like maciamo's "Life Employment" over a dozen threads like "aYu iS dA BeSt SiNgeR eVeR!!" or "What's your fave Pocky Flavor?"

Sure, I've posted in the word association thread, it's a time-killer when I'm waiting for other pages to load (yeah, I'm still on a modem). But for the most part, I don't do mindless 1 or 2 word posts like "I agree", or "Yep" or :)

The forum is what people make it. yeah, yeah, I'll get offa my butt and start making threads...

I wholeheartedly agree with this thread.

I've noticed this trend too, especially in the last six months. The quantity of posts have skyrocketed and the quality has definately decreased as well. The fact that there are people getting to 1000 posts in like a month, is indicative of this trend. Most of their posts are like "LOL I AGREE" ect, ect. I don't even venture into the anime boards anymore because that place has little to do with real anime. Suff like the word association thread doesn;t even interest me, and I pass over it....

I've tried to put some major pieces of work of mine on the International affairs page, but my last one didn't even illicit a response. I'm probably not going to post another now. They talked about thought provoking issues, and if people didn't understand them ask questions... but I got nothing. I don't mind putting them up, but I wish that some people would reply. (https://jref.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5970)
and (The New Face of Foreign Policy (an Essay))

On the other side of the coin for me is the fact that I am CONSTANTLY having to take a right wing persepective to things... almost always going against a myopic leftist viewpoins just because everybody wants LOVES to bash the United States or the "establishement", but never takes the time to learn something about why things happen. When I do take the time to put forward another argument, I just get swamped by more rhetoric that ignores my point and moves on. (a few people have stimulated some great back and forth... you know who you are) So really I have given up even trying to do it. I cringe when I see that someone has posted in the Poltical formus because it generally falls under the same sort of viewpoint. I'm almost at the point where I will just stop writing about politics at the boards because I'm pretty well the only person who writes from a right wing perspective (which I really don't believe anyway, I believe that I am a Critical Thinking Centrist), and it gets damn boring after a while.

Furanku Howaito-san,

What kind of Japanese pop music do you remember from your stay in Japan?

The era of "Group Sounds" must've been over by then. All these Japanese Beetles wanna-bees.

Did you ever hear "Blue Light Yokohama" by Ayumi Ishida? 😄

"Minatomachi Blues" bu Shin'ichi Mori?

"Nagasaki wa Kyou mo Amedatta" by the Cool Five?

Any songs by Mari Amachi?

I liked the "Kayoukyoku" from the late '60s and early '70s. I have CDs of a lot of those songs.

I agree with Iron Chef and Noyhauser, but personally I come here to blob out after a hard day of trying to make myself understood :p so I don't join in with the serious topics. There's always the feeling too that if you're not intelligent enough and don't use big words you'll be shot down, but perhaps I'm just over sensitive!
I just wish more people live or have lived in Japan so that we could talk more about life here.
anyway as someone said it's just the internet. If there's nothing here, turn off the computer and study more Japanese!!

Originally posted by nzueda
I agree with Iron Chef and Noyhauser, but personally I come here to blob out after a hard day of trying to make myself understood :p so I don't join in with the serious topics. There's always the feeling too that if you're not intelligent enough and don't use big words you'll be shot down, but perhaps I'm just over sensitive!

That's true too, nzueda. I think some people get a little too caught up in showing off how much information they've memorized. That doesn't really matter when all it does is make one seem emotionally detached and insincere.

Let there be a happy medium! ;)

I dont mean to single you out, but you are afraid basically of not being accepted by a population on a message board. A message board. You are afraid of a bunch of people who you've never met in reality, probably will never meet in reality, and therefore shouldnt be that important to you, yet you still care what they think about you. Relax.

I said it before; its just a message board.

By the way, this complaining about topics is really doing a lot of work in solving the problem.

I just wish more people live or have lived in Japan so that we could talk more about life here.
anyway as someone said it's just the internet. If there's nothing here, turn off the computer and study more Japanese!!

Ueda-san no Okusan,

Where 'bouts in Japan do you live, again?

I lived in Osaka, a mighty fine town. Good food, good women, and southern Japanese hospitality.

If there's nothing here, turn off the computer and study more Japanese!!
And they can start with this apparently not so commonsense understanding sent my way with heartfelt care and concern from a dear friend just the other day. 🙂

窶伉シツ人窶堙固陳セ窶杯窶堙「窶佚披?忸窶堙?(ツ心窶堋ェツ)ツ渉昶?堙や?堋ォ窶堙懌?堋キツ。窶壺?ヲツ−窶堋坂?堋≫?壺?ー窶塲停?堙最陳セ窶杯窶堙娯?媒窶波窶堙「ヒ彙窶堋オナスティ窶堙娯?「\ツ湘ョ窶堙遺?堙??堋ェナ陳ゥ窶堋ヲ窶堙遺?堋「窶「ツェツ、ナ津ォ窶ーテー窶堋ウ窶堙ェヒ?補?堋「窶堙娯?堙??卍才?凪?堋ェ窶「K窶牌窶堙??堋キ窶堙仰。

Originally posted by Winter
I dont mean to single you out, but you are afraid basically of not being accepted by a population on a message board. A message board. You are afraid of a bunch of people who you've never met in reality, probably will never meet in reality, and therefore shouldnt be that important to you, yet you still care what they think about you. Relax.

I said it before; its just a message board.

By the way, this complaining about topics is really doing a lot of work in solving the problem.

I know it's just a message board Winter , that's why I don't bother getting too involved in some of the more serious discussions. I can take it or leave it. It's not a matter of being afraid, just that I have better things to do with my time ;)

Golgo- I live in a small town in Kagoshima-ken. My husband is originally from Kobe.

Elizabeth, I wish I could read what you posted, but my kanji sucks! So I better turn off this computer and study more :p

I agree that the message board used to seem a lot more lively. I haven't been posting much at all here in the past few months, mainly because I've been too busy but also because there haven't been too many new posts related to things I'm interested in. Like Noyhauser says there are a lot of one line posts by people who have nothing much to say and not many posts of substance that you can really enjoy debating. Its kind of time consuming to sift through it all and find threads you are interested in, even though the board is organized really well.

Back
Top Bottom