What's new

Japan Diary 16 June - 30 June

Anohito

No Longer Active
24 Dec 2006
16 June 1983 (Thu): Rain today, as I thought there would be. I wanted to be sure I had time to shop, so I went to Genroku Sushi for lunch. I had a new/different type of roll sushi with saba, kani, & ginger. It was tasty. There was also a dark red fish like a type I used to get in Hawai'i. Seiyu was closed today, so I bought juice in Saikaya. The Sun Ray grape juice is good, so I thought I'd try the mandarin orange (it's good!). On the way back to work, I passed the vending machine where I thought I had bought the Canada Dry melon cream soda and lo & behold it was there. I bought two cans. After work, I toyed with the idea of going to Yokohama (it was barely sprinkling), but decided that I should try to do laundry this evening (I didn't). That left supper a choice between Giraud and Ryu-En. I chose the latter, being more hungry for Chinese food. By carefully examining the menu, I determined that I could try something new, the scrambled eggs with shrimp & chicken yakimeshi. The eggs & shrimp was larger than expected and rich! Still, it all made quite a good meal and I finished it all. However, the next time I have the scrambled eggs, I'll have it with plain rice. On the way back to the barracks, I bought a carton of milk and two more cans of the Canada Dry melon cream soda (for the barracks–the first two cans I left at work).
17 June 1983 (Fri): My fountain pen is out of ink, so I can't use it. I didn't spend any Yen or go off base. I had so many things to do on base that I went to the commissary for both lunch and supper. I suppose it's not practical to go to the commissary for lunch because it doesn't leave time for much more than opening a can of sardines or kippered herring. Also, I wonder if the honey wheat berry bread might be too heavy for white water-pack tuna. I was able to buy a small kinsho(1). In adition, I saw some Keebler chocolate fudge cream cookies and had a chocolate attack.
(1) If I remember correctly, this was a smallish yellow melon, but I'm no longer sure that kinsho was actually its name.
18 June 1983 (Sat): After being relieved, I went to the office, changed my clothes, and went to the train station. It might be a bit early to go to Tokyo, but here I am. Since my first destination is the Tourist Information Center, I changed to the Yamanote Line (from the Keihin Kyuko) at Shinagawa. After obtaining a Tour Companion from the TIC, I went to Toa for my morning hot coffee. While reading today's Japan Times, I learned of a concert I would like to attend. That will make it necessary to postpone seeing the Beardsley exhibit. In actuality, I suppose I could have "squeezed it in," but I don't like to "squeeze" things. Since there was still time before it would be practical to eat lunch, I set out to look for Parco peanut butter. The Parco stand at Sony Plaza(1) has several kinds of jelly, but no PB. The nearest depato is Mitsukoshi, so that was the next stop. It hasn't been all that long since I was in there, but in that time, they have extensively remodeled B1 & B2. They now sell both UCC and Key coffee. It wouldn't surprise me if the Key people were unhappy with their new location in a corner of B2. It's all very attractive, but no Pasco. Matsuya also has no Pasco, but they do have Takano PB. After the concert, I'll do some shopping, including white grape juice and PB at Matsuya. Now, I'm on my way to Shinjuku (after boarding a subway to Ikebukuro by mistake) to shop for books at Kinokuniya and to have lunch. Aagh! I forgot to buy kabuki tickets! If the ticket (advance) office stays open late enough, I can buy them after the concert. When I arrived at the Kinokuniya Building, the okonomiyaki shop in the basement was open, so I thought I might as well have lunch right away. The mix okonomiyaki was very good, but afterwards I had doubts that it was enough to hold me until supper. I thought seriously of having a large dessert or a snack elsewhere, but changed my mind and went back into Kinokuniya. Once there, I immediately found the book I wanted most, which left me with time to eat more if I so desired. In a nearby side street, I found another okonomiyaki/yakisoba shop. This one had a nasu oil yaki, and even though it had bean sprouts on the side, I couldn't resist it. It was delicious. The bean sprouts were fresh and didn't have the "off" taste that canned sprouts have. And so, to Shibuya for the concert at NHK Hall. Unless I haven't yet found it, there is no candy counter. While I've been writing this, it seems that a woodwind pre-concert is being given nearby. I'll have a look. When I went back to where the musicians were playing, I saw a sign directing patrons to the "Tea Corner". They didn't have any candy, though, and that's what I really wanted. They had some mini-manju, which I might have considered, if I hadn't been full (I was full, but I still wanted to satisfy my sweet tooth). During intermission I checked the purin, but it was to small for 150 Yen. The concert itself was excellent. I had a reasonably good seat. During the passages in the concerto when the orchestra was playing at a substantial volume it was difficult to hear the soloist if he was also playing. It wasn't a critical problem, though. I would buy Rosand's(2) albums, except that I haven't seen any and I already have the major violin works. Well, most of them. I was favorably impressed by the Alpine Symphony and now have good reason to buy Karajan's recording with the Berlin Philharmonic. Now I am on my way to the Kabukiza. International Friends of Kabuki was right–tickets are going fast. I was able to buy tickets, however. After that, more shopping. First to Mitsukoshi to buy Key Ice Coffee (they now have a larger selection). Then to Matsuya for Takano peanut butter, raspberry jelly, grapefruit marmalade, and white grape juice. There was some indecision about where to have supper, and I made a couple of false starts. However, I determined that I was hungry for Maharajah's "Thali Delicious", so I went there. I will not order milk tea again in that chain. I can't imagine why it takes so long, but it does. Oh well, the food is delicious. In the future, though, I'll avoid that particular table under the air vent. Then, back to Yokosuka. Much to my surprise, I got a seat immediately. I had taken the Keihin Kyuko with the expectation of standing (I had been off my feet for a considerable portion of the afternoon and so didn't mind standing). And so, back to the barracks.
(1) In the Sony Building, on Harumi Dori, Ginza 5-3-1, between subway exits B9 & B7.
(2) American violinist, born 15 March 1927 in Hammond, Indiana. He specialized in 19th century violin works, including many seldom-played works.
19 June 1983 (Sun): Even though today is Sunday and Kamakura will be crowded, I'm going to Kita Kamakura to see the hydrangea at Meigetsu-in. I had originally intended to go tomorrow, on my afternoon off, before going to Yokohama. However, when I saw the fine weather this morning, I realized "It might not be like this tomorrow." That left the question of where I should have lunch. I didn't want to eat in Odakicho [central Yokosuka] and the restaurants near Yokosuka Station aren't very interesting. I have no idea what is in Kita Kamakura and that was the primary element in my decision to stop at Kamakura, even though it necessitates buying another ticket to go to Kita Kamakura after lunch. I know there are plenty of places to eat near the station. I had lunch at the tenpura-ya I saw the other night. Very fresh & delicious. Next door is a soba-ya that serves homemade soba (I saw them making it in the window–there were people standing around watching). That is worth a visit. To satisfy my sweet tooth, I then looked for a place to have dessert. I only went in one place, that had people waiting for seats, before deciding that places would be too crowded around 1230. So, I bought a couple of goodies at Fujiya (things I hadn't had from them before) and ate them outside the station before proceeding. I proceeded to Kita Kamakura. There weren't any obvious signs directing one to Meigetsu-in (perhaps they were obscured by crowds(1)), so I followed the crowd, figuring that they were probably going to Meigetsu-in. I was right. Even with the crowds (I'm talking about serious crowds, now), it was well worth seeing. I saw many good photo opportunities if I'm able to return during another hydrangea season. There is also an unlighted tunnel I want to explore. I must be sure to bring my flashlight whenever I return. After Meigetsu-in, I backtracked to Engakuji. There were not nearly as many people there. Even with the construction, it is well worth a visit and also has many photo opportunities. On leaving the temple grounds, I set out to find a coffee shop, walking down the highway. The first couple of places I saw weren't promising (for one thing, they weren't really coffee shops). I kept walking, but I didn't see anything. After a while I concluded that I might as well continue on foot to Ofuna, since I had already gone so far in that direction. I eventually found a coffee shop, Corot, near some apartment buildings. It's a tiny place, with hardly enough room to move around, and yet there was a minuscule "stage" for a performer. Desirous of something cool, I had a coffee float, which I found most enjoyable. Also, I checked my map to make sure I was headed in the correct direction (I was). It wasn't long before I reached Ofuna. As I suspected, the shopping, eating, & drinking area is on the "other" side of the tracks from the Kannon statue. I went in the station to buy a ticket. While in line I decided I should take advantage of the opportunity to look around. Therefore, after buying the ticket, I went back outside. There are the usual shops, etc. The only department store I saw was Seiyu, which is newer and larger than the one in Yokosuka. I didn't see anything I had to have. When I finished looking through Seiyu, I went on to Yokohama. One of the things I wanted to do there was look for a new Melitta cone for my large coffee making set. CIAL didn't have them, nor did Takashimaya or UCC (UCC has its own brand of coffee making equipment).The Caravan shop does have Melitta equipment, but it is different from mine, and I didn't think the cone would be compatible with my pot. However, I did buy 200 grams of Brazil. As I had intended, I went to Fujimori [nothing to do with Alberto of Peru] to eat supper. I had the "Mariscas" (?) course, which was very good. Afterward, I returned to CIAL to see if anything struck myfancy for dessert. I think I could have found a seat in the restaurant, but I was a bit full for the hotcake desserts and I wasn't in the mood for ice cream. After a little looking, I found a counter selling the "stick" or "log" manju tht I like. I bought an "old favorite" and a new kind. Having done that, it seemed that I should return to Yokosuka and not spend any more money (other than on a carton of milk). And so, back to the barracks.
(1) This is a allusion to a Pink Floyd album, Obscured by Clouds.
20 June 1983 (Mon): It's a good thing I went to Meigetsu-in yesterday–it's raining today. That and the fact that most facilities are closed limits my choice of what to do on my afternoon off. I had lunch at Gurabatei(1). This time I tried the lunch special, which gives you a choice of two small entree portions ("one from column A and one from column B"(2)). It was delicious, so I'll go there more often for lunch. Even though I didn't (and still don't) have any "plan of action" for the afternoon, I came to Yokohama. Perhaps it was a combination of the hot train car and writing while moving (I hope it wasn't what I had for lunch), but by the time I arrived in Yokohama, I didn't feel well and still don't feel a lot better. I'm on the 7FL in Lumine writing this. It was probably a mistake to come directly to Yokohama. There is no way I can occupy my time here or in Tokyo without going over my budget, unless I can find someplace where I can read without being conspicuous. Maybe in B2 at Patio. No, not there either. It wasn't too long before I realized that I should return to Yokosuka. So I wouldn't have to go out for supper, I decided to buy food for supper in Yokohama. I thought I'd like to try some of the fish roll (?) I've seen in Isetan and Mitsukoshi. I was sure I hadn't seen any in CIAL, so I went to Takashimaya. They didn't have any. They had something similar, but I bought the salmon marine instead. Then, I began looking for some vegetables. I spent entirely too much time wandering around Takashimaya and then CIAL. I wasn't well and should have quickly gone back to Yokosuka. I eventually did settle for "springtime salad" and spinach with sesame. I also bought a small tub of cherries in CIAL and some plums in the arcade. The cherries aren't sour, but aren't very sweet. The plums are rather tart. I have them in the refrigerator. I wonder if they would "age" [i.e., ripen] better at room temperature. The other stuff was very good.
(1) A curry shop near Seiyu, probably on Chuo O-Dori.
(2) And this is a reference to a controversial comedy routine about a waiter in a Chinese restaurant by American comedian Buddy Hackett. His obituary: Buddy Hackett, Irrepressible Clown of Stage, Screen and Nightclubs, Is Dead at 78 (Published 2003) I could not find any real description of the routine, but here is an interesting article: http://soc.qc.cuny.edu/Staff/levine/NYJews-and-Chinese.htm
21 June 1983 (Tue): Lunch in my room again because I had to go to the bank and didn't want to wear my whites in the rain. In actuality, it had stopped raining before lunch, but the ground was still wet. After work, I went to Saikaya to buy a chocolate bar and new items for Mother's "care package." The candy items I originally bought may get stale by the time she receives them. I looked for tea in Saikaya (bagged tea), but they only had Twining's and Brooke Bond. Therefore, I went to Seiyu and bought Nittoh Flavoury Assam tea. Supper was at Ryu-En–braised tofu with pork & vegetables. Delicious and filling. Then back to the barracks because of supernumerary.
22 June 1983 (Wed): Sushi for lunch today in the usual place [Genroku Sushi]. Since eating there nearly always leaves me with time for shopping, I went to Seiyu for stationery. Their stock of notebooks is getting smaller and smaller. I wonder if they intend to carry this kind at all in the future. It wasn't available in this size, so I bought another type that I had considered buying before. I also need a notebook for expenses, but Seiyu didn't have anything I wanted to use as an expenses notebook (the shop where I usually buy them is closed today). I did buy a pack of the lined envelopes. I didn't buy any airmail envelopes because the kind they carry isn't self-adhesive. For supper, I finally decided to try the unagi at, I had originally intended to go to Kamakura, but it looked like rain. The unagi is delicious and you get a substantial portion for 2000 Yen. You also get suimono with the unagi. After considering the matter, I chose to have dessert out, at Fujiya. I tried another one of the new desserts, the Montblanc aux abricots, which was excellent. By the way, it was raining when I left Shindo, but it had stopped by the time I left Fujiya. And so, back to the barracks.
23 June 1983 (Thu): Today I had a hot lunch at Ryu-En, the tori soba. Since I wouldn't have access to my coffee until 1430 because of the class [something military], I had a can of coffee afterward. I also had a kobanyaki for dessert. Even though the sky is quite overcast after work, I'm taking a chance and going to Kamakura. So far, I've done well on my little visit to Kamakura. I looked around a bit, but didn't see any more useful restaurants than I had seen before. The soba-ya was closed, as was Saint Tropez. Thursdays seem to be a major closing day here. In the absence of anything particularly fantastic, I had supper at the tonkatsu-ya where I had eaten a few years ago. I still managed to have something semi-new–hotate(1) fry. The soup doesn't contain clams, but it does contain a special kind of mushroom. It was a delicious meal. For dessert, I tried Leodore again and had no trouble getting a seat (hardly anyone else was in there). The chocolate crepe was tasty indeed. And so, back to the barracks.
(1) A large scallop used in sushi, okonomiyaki, deep fried in tonkatsu restaurants, in soups/stews, and other uses.
24 June 1983 (Fri): No lunch today because of work. I managed to get a train to Yokohama before it started to rain. I had tentatively decided to eat at the Kansai ryori restaurant in Patio. I saw a large meal for only 2000 Yen and that's what I had. The meal I had in the Kansai ryori restaurant in Lumine was good, but this one was better. The rice had a clump of fish eggs in the center. I knew it wouldn't be difficult to remove them. As it turned out, they weren't bad at all, and I mixed them with the other ingredients atop the rice and with the rice itself. The restaurant has several dinners for less than 2000 Yen. Since it's on the "wrong" side of the station(1), I doubt that I'll go there on Mondays, but it will be worth subsequent visits on the other days. Supper left me with plenty of money to spend on goodies. The idea was to buy something I wouldn't usually buy and from a place I wouldn't ordinarily patronize. The area with the "goodie" counters at the bottom right of the main entrance to Diamond Shopping Center fit the latter requirement. (Since there is a larger Kaseiro counter in CIAL, I no longer go to the Kaseiro counter in the area I'm describing.) A Bavarois fraises from Don Q fit the former requirement. I did investigate the wares of the other counters before I bought at Don Q. Following that, I bought some fresh peaches at a fruit stand. It occurred to me that as long as I was in Yokohama, I might as well look for good peanut butter. The grocery store/supermarket next to CIAL didn't have any (I didn't expect them to, but I looked) and neither did Lumine. And so, back to Yokosuka.
(1) On Mondays, when I was going to the AA meeting after supper, I ate supper on the same side of the station as the bus terminal, to save time.
25 June 1983 (Sat): Good weather this morning. I hope that doesn't mean bad weather tomorrow. I took my usual route to Yurakucho and got a tour companion at the Tourist Information Center. On my way past Yuraki(1), under the tracks, I noticed that they had some attractive sets and items on display. However, they were not yet open. Rather than have coffee, I decided to take a look around. Lohmeyer's lunch sets were 1500 Yen and 2500 Yen. The latter was more than I wanted to pay for lunch, and the former was a cold plate, whereas I was in the mood for a hot meal. In actuality, I might have eaten sashimi if I could have been assured of getting hamachi. I went in the Toshiba Building basement to check their restaurants (on the way, I looked in Pasco for peanut butter, but none there). The three restaurants at the end (Horikawa, et al.) Had lunch specials that weren't bad, but I went on. Returning past Kanawa Hiroshima Oyster House, which was now open, I noticed that they had a kaki fry lunch. It occurred to me that if there is anyplace where I can get good oysters in the summer, this is probably it. The kaki fry lunch was indeed very good and quite reasonably priced at 600 Yen. From there to Matsuya for peanut butter. First, I went up to stationery for an expenses notebook. I also bought envelopes. Before going back down to the basement, I thought I might as well check "Relax Avenue" to see if they had something I could buy for Karla [my cousin's first daughter]. They had all kinds of attractive things, but for too much money (well, more than I wanted to pay) or not the sort of thing I wanted. I didn't spend a lot of time there, because I had other things to do. I did remember to buy the peanut butter. I didn't buy any other food because I intended to buy food at Isetan later. So, to Shinjuku. On entering, I took a quick look around part of the food floor, to get ideas for later. Then, up to the Beardsley exhibit. At the beginning of the exhibit, the crowds were so thick and slow-moving that I didn't get in line, but looked over shoulders. Further into the exhibit, the crowds weren't so thick. I was surprised to see that items showing genitalia, including some of the more grotesque items, were in the exhibit and weren't censored. I've seen exhibits of woodblock prints where the prints showing genitalia were censored. Since this exhibit involves an international figure, they must have decided that it would be more discreet to present the complete exhibit as is, rather than to engage in any form of censorship.. There were many items I had never seen before. The catalog is complete and of course I bought one. I also bought postcards to send to the folks back home. From there I went looking for a gift for Karla. "Art gifts" was too expensive. I went looking for furoshiki and found them after asking (they are stuck away in a corner). They cost more than I had expected, but I was able to get a couple of pretty rayon furoshiki for 1000 Yen each. Then, to the basement to buy food! I was able to buy a bunch of promising stuff. I'd like to have asparagus at least once more before the season is over, so I bought some. The pickled eggplant I had seen earlier proved to have too strong a "pickled" taste, so I didn't buy any(2). When I had finished buying food for Sunday, I seriously considered eating a small meal there and then buying some more sashimi to have later in Yokosuka. However, I concluded that I wasn't really hungry enough to warrant eating in there. As it happened, I went all the way to Yokosuka. If it had occurred to me in Shinjuku I might have stopped in Kamakura (I took the JNR) for supper, but it didn't, so I didn't. All's well that ends well. I had a deliciouis meal at Kujakuen. The small servings of soup are of a manageable size. It was most pleasant to be able to get good hot & sour soup (I also had sweet & sour fish). Following supper, I was in a mood for a chocolate dessert, so I went to Fujiya for a chocolate parfait. I remembered to buy milk on the way back to the barracks.
(1) This must be the "Japanese spaghetti" (Spaghettini with Japanese rather than Italian ingredients) restaurant I remember being under the Yamanote Line tracks or the highway tracks.
(2) The counter selling them was offering samples, as is often the case in department store food floors.
26 June 1983 (Sun): Do wah duty duty, dumb duty do. The fish fillet was excellent, but the tofu was disappointing–mediocre at best. The tamagoyaki and tako salad were very good.
27 June 1983 (Mon): I was a little late getting out to lunch, but not grievously so. The rain slackened enough that I was willing to do some shopping afterward. I ate at Genroku Sushi so I'd have plenty of time for shopping. I tried a new (to me) type of sushi, a shellfish. It didn't have much taste, but was pleasant. Later, in Seiyu, after due consideration, I bought a bottle of apple Calpis to drink at work. Since I only had pineapple juice left, I mixed some of the Calpis on my return. It quit raining during the afternoon. I hope it stays quit. The tonkatsu-ya in Lumine does have delicious tonkatsu. That's where I had my fillet katsu teishoku. Since I had time to have dessert "in" afterwards [in the station area before catching the bus], I went to Flora and had something I had noticed previously, the Bavarois l'automne. Great! Although I got out to the bus stop by 1838, the line seemed large. However, I did get a seat. From then, the evening went as usual. Back in Yokosuka, I stopped for some donuts on my way to the base.
28 June 1983 (Tue): Today, I was unusually daring at lunch time. I had hamburger! Not a hamburger, mind you, but "hamburger Madras" at Fujiya. It was quite good! What it is is a hamburger steak with curry sauce atop a curried rice pilaf. It was garnished with peas & carrots. The two carrot chunks weren't so good, but they were a negligible part of the dish. Since I need bread, I went into Saikaya to try Pompadour's bread. I bought some graham bread. While I was in Saikaya, I also bought some ice cream. I bought a large package (Lady Borden chocolate) so the people at work could have some. Not that they appreciate it. It will probably go to waste unless I finish it. Doing laundry is a pressing necessity today, so I didn't stay out long after work. A pity–the weather was beautiful. At least I had a tasty supper–tenpura at Shindo. And so, back to the barracks.
29 June 1983 (Wed): Lunch proper wasn't an experiment today, being ten shin don at Chuka Hanten. However, for dessert I had a cup of blueberry sherbet I bought at Fujiya–pretty good. It makes a tasty dessert. Much to my surprise, the weather is once again quite pleasant after work. I'm on my way to kamakura. I'm resisting the idea of having supper at the soba-ya. For some reason, I just don't equate soba with supper. Well, I did go to the soba-ya. My first choice was the kitsune soba, but they were out of it, so I ordered my second choice, the nameko soba. It wasn't bad at all, but it's still lunch. There was no meat in the soba, so I went to Kinokuniya to accomplish two ends–investigate it and buy some fish for later. Well they were open. Their fish is expensive. It looked good, though, and if they had had a tray consisting of hamachi alone (rather than toro & hamachi), I would probably have bought one. I looked around the store for other ideas. There were plenty of goodies, but before I could make a decision I saw a special on Lindavia juice that I couldn't let pass. So, I decided to make do with bread, jelly, and peanut butter & honey. I did buy another jar of jam because I'm low on it. I was also able to buy a bottle of the Gui-Me summer orange drink for Mother. I thought that was enough expense for the day, so I returned to Yokosuka and bought a carton of milk on the way to the barracks.
30 June 1983 (Thu): I had lunch at Gurabatei today. My selections were hotate fry and pork ginger. Very good. For dessert I had a kobanyaki. No shopping. Save money. The good weather held for the rest of the afternoon (a bad omen for the weekend?). For supper, I went to Kujakuen. Along with the stewed pork with spinach, I tried the shrimp with chili sauce. Rich meal! No dessert outside tonight. Anyway, as I indicated earlier, I was trying to keep expenses down today. And so, back to the barracks (supernumerary).

What an interesting diary. I loved it so much that I send it to my Yuko's father.
Thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom