What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Japan Diary, 16 August 1983 - 31 August 1983


No Longer Active
24 Dec 2006
Reaction score
16 Aug 1983 (Tue): I didn’t actually need to hurry, but I was hungry for sushi, so I ate at Genroku Sushi. I had gone directly out instead of stopping at the Club Alliance to cash my pay check. I cashed it on the way back in. I was surprised that we were allowed to leave at 1630, even with Typhoon Condition 2(1). I zipped on out to Seiyu for more chocolate and some drinks. While there, I decided to try some of the Melitta brand coffee. I considered Pinocchio for supper, but the pizzas aren’t quick, being prepared to order. I’m eating at Ryu-En, which will be a little faster (it also takes a while to eat a pizza). I don’t like to carry a load in the rain, so I think Iツ’ll only stop for milk on the way back to base, rather than stopping for donuts as well. The milk will have my bag of groceries unwieldy enough. I considered taking a taxi back to the barracks, but decided not to [it must not have been raining very hard].
(1) I no longer remember the precise reason for my surprise. Looking back on the matter, if I had been expecting to stay at the office, the buildings in which we worked were made of wood and certainly not as sturdy as the newer buildings, such as the barracks. It would not have been surprising if those living off base had been allowed to leave, in order to look after their families.
17 Aug 1983 (Wed): Rain, rain, rain. I couldn’t go out for lunch because we were in Typhoon Condition 1 (during which one could not leave the base). The Underwood "Chunky chicken" spread (which I bought in the Commissary) is not as good as the other Underwood spreads. The Daiichipan pastries were quite tasty, though. I was busier today than Petty Officer X said I would be, but it was a better day than most, even so. I used the lack of other people in the office to make a phone call to NIS [Naval Investigative Service] about the CNFJ COS [Commander, Naval Forces, Japan Chief of Staff] sending a Navy van to Narita airport to pick up his dog. I doubt that anything will come of it except that my roommate will be irritated that I involved him(1). At the end of the normal work-day, the "all clear" was set, so I was able to go out for supper. My first idea was to go to Central Mall and try the spaghetti restaurant, but then I decided that I didn’t want to try anyplace new, so I headed for Pinocchio. That was closed, so I went to the spaghetti restaurant after all. You can order a "course" consisting of soup, salad, and coffee or ice cream with the main dishes. I had the chicken/meat sauce spaghetti w/ "course". It made an excellent meal. Iツ’ll definitely be returning. I didn’t have room for dessert out, so I returned to base. I had had enough of walking around in the rain, so I took a taxi back to the barracks.
(1) My roommate (in the barracks) had told me about this little incident in great detail (he was in a position to have first-hand knowledge about it). I didn’t care whether or not he would be irritated because I was about to move to another barracks.
18 Aug 1983 (Thu): Ugh squared! The weather wasn’t too bad, so I started moving(1). I almost finished, too. I pooped out before I was completely done, though. I haven’t worked so hard since the return from deployment(2), and I worked harder today. I didn’t go out for lunch. Something told me I didn’t need to do that much walking. This barracks has one of the better microwave ovens. For use in it I bought some rigid paper plates in the Commissary. For lunch I bought a burrito and a (mild) enchilada. Pretty good. I worked late, trying to get all the heavy items over here. Ryu-En was still open when I went out, so I had supper there, not really wanting to cook my own food. I had the sweet & sour fish pieces(3), for a treat. I took taxis to & from the Main Gate, even though it had stopped raining. I’m that tired. At least I don’t have a roommate yet(4). Oh yes, when I bought Yen, I bought 100 Dollars more than I actually wanted. Carelessness.
(1) This was because of a policy that people should room with other people in the same department.
(2) This is a reference to my previous tour of duty with a Patrol Squadron. The deployment was from Hawaiツ’i to the Philippines.
(3) I haven’t been able to get decent sweet & sour dishes since getting out of the Navy and returning to Ohio. All of the Chinese restaurants around here make sweet & sour dishes with that much-too-sweet, garishly-colored sauce.
(4) As it happened, although I did get a roommate, at least technically, I never set eyes on him. In fact, I never had any firm evidence that he ever set foot in the room. He lived off base with his girlfriend. On the whole, though, the move to another barracks did not work out well. Even though I had the room to myself, the barracks to which I moved was much noisier than the one from which I moved, and I often had difficulty sleeping because of the noise.
19 Aug 1983 (Fri): In spite of a good nightツ’s sleep, I was still very tired. My first idea was that I should have something hot for lunch, but by the time I got out in town, I was quite willing to settle for sushi at Genroku Sushi. I had a good, filling meal with a cup of cassis sherbet from Fujiya for dessert. The meal revived me enough to get through the rest of the afternoon. After work, I first want to Seiyu for stationery, considering it safe to start storing supplies now that Iツ’ve safely moved. For supper I had the hot meat meal (though not the specific one) I had considered for lunch. Even though I was still tired, I was willing to cook for myself, so I had kalbi at the new Korean restaurant(1). Afterward, I thought I still had a few empty corners, so I went to Fujiya and had a chocolate parfait for dessert. Contrary to what Admiral Sakamoto said earlier in the day, I did see adults there without children(2). On the way back to the barracks, I bought a carton of milk (Iツ’ve been drinking a lot of milk lately).
(1) Probably the one with the bovine sign (cartoon head with mechanical rolling eyes) on Sennichi-dori.
(2) Miss Sakamoto tended to be quite opinionated. She emphatically stated that adults did NOT eat at Fujiya unless they were with children, and that Fujiya was basically for children. While it is true that Fujiya is a very child-friendly chain ("Peko-Chan is the Fujiya Confectionery Company's trademark avatar, a statue of whom stands at the entrance of every Company retail store"--Peko-Chan is a little girl who is usually? always? depicted wearing overalls.), she was simply wrong in stating that adults don’t eat there unless they are with children. I always saw other adults eating without children whenever I went to Fujiya.
20 Aug 1983 (Sat): I didn’t go to Tokyo today. It just seemed like too much running around so soon after moving. After morning coffee, the first item one the agenda was to take my uniform to the laundry. Then to Barracks 1492 [the building number] to get the last of my belongings and do some final cleaning (e.g., the pile of dust under the bed). I wasn’t able to check out at that time. That was a factor in my decision to eat in the barracks (and experiment with the microwave) rather than shower and change clothes only to have to shower again later this evening. I was reluctant to eat on base because I am Yen heavy and Dollar light, but I should have enough Dollars to last until payday. I bought the chicken Kiev I was Thursday and some hot Italian sausage. I wasn’t able to try the wide variety of sausage available in Hawaiツ’i, so this seemed like a good opportunity to try what is available here. The chicken Kiev is very rich, but pretty good (salty, but I can use the salt with the weather so hot). The sausage was disappointing. I cooked the smallest piece and didn’t finish it. Not long after lunch, I called Barracks 1492. There still wasn’t anyone to inspect the room, but I was allowed to turn in my key anyway. I did clean the room, so my conscience is clear. Having accomplished that, I returned to my (new) room to put the translated captions in K*****ツ’s(1) copy of the Space Art catalog. Having done that, I assembled everything and went to A-33(2). On my arrival, I was aghast to see crowds of people at a "sidewalk sale". I had expected business to be slow between paydays. It seems that the people who were buying "sidewalks" weren’t mailing them, since there wasn’t a line at the post office. The mail clerk was initially confused by my use of the term "catalog" on the customs form, but all was eventually clarified. So that Mother would be expecting it, I wrote a letter telling her I had mailed the box on my return to the barracks. I may do the same for K***** later this evening. I waited until after 1700 to come out for supper. There has been a substantial drop in temperature and it looks like rain. Because I had eaten lunch on base, I wanted something out of the ordinary for supper, so I returned to Bistrot de Jeunesse. I even considered going over my daily budget, but decided not to. I had the prawn & crab "England", minestrone, green salad, yogurt strawberry parfait, and Wiener (mistranslated as "winner") coffee. Most of the portions seemed modest, but it added up to a satisfying and delicious meal. The parfait was something of a bargain at 400 Yen. There are places where you would pay 600 Yen for essentially the same thing. The parfait was my fourth choice for dessert, although it had been "in the running" from the start. They were out of most desserts. Afterward, I wanted to buy some juice and sodas, but wound up with only two cans. I should have either gone into Fujiya for lemon squash or bought two cream sodas. And so, back to the barracks.
(1) Somebody I once considered my friend, but who turned out to be nobodyツ’s friend.
(2) A sort of annex of the Navy Exchange. It sold audio equipment, cameras, and other goods not made in the US. It also had a branch of the base post office.
21 Aug 1983 (Sun): I think Iツ’ll be staying in Yokosuka today, even though itツ’s tempting to go to Tokyo. The rain has stopped and it is relatively cool. Even if it did start raining later in the day, once I got to Chuo Station, I would be safe from the rain until my return to Yokosuka. However, I have no shopping to do that can’t be done here in Yokosuka and the two exhibits that would take me to Tokyo will both be there next weekend. As I have noted in the past, I’m less inclined to go out when I don’t have a roommate. I nearly forgot about the demonstration today(1). If I had gone to Yokohama for lunch, it might be in progress when I returned(2). This seemed like a good time to try lunch at Kujakuen, so I finally had the tan-tan men, which was quite tasty(3). I also had a small order of the harumaki [spring rolls] and they were only fair. Then, shopping at Saikaya. First, I bought coffee and got my card stamped. Next, I bought pastry at Pompadour. Last, but not least, I bought two nashi and big nectarine. From there I went to Yajima Music, where I bought more records than perhaps I should have. However, they had the new Academy of St. Martinツ’s in the Fieldsツ’ recording of Wassenaerツ’s Concerti Armonici(4), and I had to have it, as well as the Collegium Aureum albums I didn’t already have. I figured I had spent enough money at lunch, so I returned to base. Also, I didn’t want to be caught "out" during the demonstration. Before I went out for supper, I called Security to make sure the Main Gate was clear. As I had intended all along, I went to Hi no Tori for supper and had a cocotte [a sort of casserole, similar to a doria or gratin] (seafood) set with "rare cheese" cake [an unbaked, soft cheesecake]. Iツ’ve had rare cheese desserts before and conclude that they are a trifle bland. The cocotte was very good, though. My "presento" was a Hotel Centraza [now called the Central Hotel] pen. I had plenty to eat back at the barracks, so I didn’t buy anything to take back with me.
(1)Demonstrations protesting the US presence in Japan or some aspect of the US presence occurred at least a few times a year.
(2) Even though the base gates (Main Gate and Womble Gate) were closed during demonstrations, this shouldn’t have been a real worry to me. The demonstrations never lasted very long.
(3) This was what Eating Cheap in Japan calls "tanmen–Chinese noodles in a pork broth with a few vegetables...and a few pieces of pork."
(4) A set of six concertos that had for some years been attributed to the Italian composer Giovanni Battista Pergolesi (1710-1736). Only in the 1980s was it discovered that these concertos were actually composed by Count Unico Willem van Wassenaer (1692-1766), a Dutch nobleman and diplomat.
22 Aug 1983 (Mon): I had a hot lunch today, San Eiツ’s "special rice". Thatツ’s only 600 Yen. I’m trying to avoid spending a lot of money this week. Iツ’d like to build up my surplus again after the weekendツ’s record album binge. Itツ’s a good thing I hurried [after work]. I only made the 1704 tokkyu [regular express] with about a minute to spare. There doesn’t appear to be any danger of rain. Once in Yokohama, I remembered to buy a newspaper. Lumine was closed, so that meant I didn’t have to decide whether to eat there or in Porta. However, I did have to decide where to eat in Porta. It didn’t take me long to choose Hageten, where I had the "heavy" course. The Porta Hageten is on a par with the Ginza honten ["original location/shop"]. I think I got more than I was supposed to get. I had the "heavy" course at the honten and I don’t recall that I received two each of the carrot, aji, ... sequence(1). Perhaps they lost count. After finishing my meal, I had some time to kill. I considered ice cream at Baskin Robbins, but their servings seem so small for the price. While looking around in the other side of Porta, I found a section with some goody shops (including Colombin). There was an ice cream shop named Rainbow Hat that had larger servings for less than BR. I had a double cup of mocha coffee, which was tasty. Then to the bus stop and the rest of the evening as usual for Monday. Once back in Yokosuka, I forgot to buy milk. I had plenty of surplus in my daily expenses, too. Oh well, I should remember tomorrow.
(1) The ellipses mean I don’t know what the 3rd item was. Didn’t then and still don’t!
23 Aug 1983 (Tue): On my way out for lunch, I stopped by A-33 to mail a music tape to Mother. However, there was a line of people at the Post Office, so I didn’t wait. I was in the mood for sushi, so I had lunch at Genroku Sushi. With the time I had to spare, I went to Saikaya for apple juice. Also, I bought milk on the way back in. This was risky, since there was the chance that we wouldn’t get off at 1500 (for the bug sprayers) and the chance that I would forget the milk. As it happened, I forgot the milk, even though we did get off at 1500. In actuality, I forgot the milk because I left early. I was in such a hurry to leave because they had already started spraying, that it didn’t occur to me to take my milk with me. I’m not returning before tomorrow morning, so Iツ’ll try to remember to buy more milk this evening. I had intended to go to the main Post Office before going to my Japanese conversation class, but I won’t have time. The first class didn’t tell me much that I didn’t already know. Also, the teacher seems inclined to teach us abrupt & familiar forms, presumably because they are simpler. After class, I went directly out to supper and had salami pizza & crab salad [where? Probably Pinocchio]. On the way back to base, I bought some sodas and milk.
24 Aug 1983 (Wed): I was in a hurry, so I again had lunch at Genroku Sushi (I didn’t even try to mail the tape). Because I have duty today, I bought groceries at Seiyu afterward. I bought more fish (karei [flatfish]), but this will be cooked. I even had time to get my uniform from the laundry. The fish was very good. My peanut butter wasn’t actually rancid, but it didn’t quite taste fresh, either. I suppose it should be kept in the refrigerator, even before I open it. That particular jar was at least several weeks old. I used all my blueberry jam, so I need some more jelly or something. Perhaps a trip to Kinokuniya in Kamakura is in order.
25 Aug 1983 (Thu): on my way out to lunch, I checked the A-33 Post Office, but there were people with packages in line, so I didn’t wait. For lunch I had ten shin don at Chuka Hanten. Afterward, I went to Saikaya to check jelly. I saw a couple of kinds worth trying and bought them, so I won’t be going to Kamakura after work. I also bought some confections from Bunmeido for dessert back in the office. On the way back to the office, I checked A-33 again. Nobody was waiting, so I finally mailed the music tape to Mother. I forgot to number it, so Iツ’ll have to send her a post card telling her to look for it. After work, I headed for Central Mall. Before going up to Shi Sen(1) on 2F, I looked around 1F, which I expected to have boutiques & suchlike. However, tucked away in the back is a German restaurant, Alte Stadt ["old city"]. If I don’t feel like going out of town tomorrow, Iツ’ll probably eat supper there. Shi Sen is a branch of a Ginza restaurant (the Szechuan restaurant near Sukiyabashi Crossing, I think). I was startled by the green peppers, but they weren’t very hot. Shi Sen should add some more variety to the Chinese food available here in Yokosuka. The serving at Shi Sen wasn’t huge, so I went downstairs to Four Seasons for dessert. I had the crepe aux cassis, which was excellent. And then, without further ado, back to the barracks to relax.
(1) Japanese for Sichuan (formerly known as Szechuan among English-speakers), a Chinese province known for itツ’s spicy food. If I remember the kanji correctly, the name means "four rivers".
26 Aug 1983 (Fri): Since I more or less intend to have supper at Alte Stadt, I wanted fish for lunch, but I wasn’t in the mood for sushi. Anyway, Iツ’ve already had sushi twice this week. What I had was jo tendon at Shindo. That was delicious & filling, but didn’t leave me time to look for another light blue Hi-Tecpoint [pen]. I hope I remember to look for one this evening. I did. The old stationery store (in Honcho)(1) only had a few Hi-Tecpoints. I found what I wanted in Saikaya. In Central Mall I looked again at the terrycloth shop. They have attractive goods, but the prices are high. Most of the merchandise seems to be imported. At Alte Stadt, I had a great meal of "home made sausage special dish", "vegetable salad", and "German bread". All the servings were larger than you would think from the prices. At first, I wasn’t going to have anything to drink, but I saw a sign advertising Appletizer and decided to try some. Itツ’s excellent. I was full enough tht I didn’t want to eat dessert right away, so I bought donuts at Mister Donut and more milk at the vending machine. The large purple grapes cost a bit more than I thought they would, so I decided to wait. After stashing my things in the room and taking some change from my coin bag, I went over to the Mini-Mart for a Japan Times. They didn’t have any left (as I suspected) or any cereal I wanted, but I was able to get the September issue of Analog(2).
(1) This was in Honcho 2-Chome, on the corner of Dobuita-Dori and the street that continues across Route 16 away from the Base Main Gate.
(2) AKA "the magazine with rivets" because of itツ’s technically-oriented science fiction. They started publishing stories with gratuitous sectarian socio-political content, so I eventually allowed my subscription to lapse in a few years.
27 Aug 1983 (Sat): I made my way to Tokyo vie the usual route to pick up a Tour Companion at the Tourist Information Center(1) (I had to stand on the KHK). I was also able to get the previous issue. Rather than stay in the Ginza/Yurakucho area for lunch, I took a chance on the crowds (it was 1120) and went to Seibu Ikebukuro for lunch and the "Ancient Orient" exhibit. The restaurants in the Ikebukuro store are much the same as those in the Shibuya store, which is hardly surprising. They were also full or nearly so. There is one restaurant that is a little different, though. The name is Satsuma, so I suppose it feature Kyushu cooking. At any rate, I had the Satsuma teishoku, which was different, very tasty, reasonably filling, and moderately priced. At the cashierツ’s counter, they had baskets with manju. I figured these were some sort of Satsuma specialty and tried one for "dessert". It was rather rich, but very good. Before going up to the exhibit, I looked around a bit on 8F. They have a well-stocked stationery department. Then, to the exhibit, which was most interesting. Itツ’s not the sort of exhibition one sees frequently. I bought a catalog and some postcards. On my way to the 11F coffee shop, my eye was caught by a section with books in English. I looked for science fiction and found some, but not much. However, they did have volume 4 of the "Lords of the Diamond" series [by Jack L. Chalker], which enabled me to complete my set. That was a welcome find. The coffee shop was more like a bar, so I didn’t stop there. On 10F, the record department has a largish section of classical records. None of the special [RCA or Japan Victor]"Gold Seal" collection (I was looking for the Caruso collection of Neapolitan songs)(2). Itツ’s just as well that I didn’t find it, considering how much money I spent overall. The 10F coffee shop was closed. I gave a quick look in the basement, but didn’t see a coffee shop. In the subway station area, I saw another department store with an unfamiliar name. I looked in there for a coffee shop and found a small Ginza Tricolore, where I had a cup of Brazil. Then, by subway to Mitsukoshi Nihonbashi. The Utrillo centennial exhibition was not fascinating or outstanding, but was interesting enough. His motherツ’s works, aside from the nudes, are at least as interesting as his. On the 7F (on my way to the otearai [restroom]), I saw some marvelous carved ivory and a gold & amethyst bauble costing 17,000,000 Yen. As I did at Seibu (after the exh.), I looked for Wedgwood, but also as at Seibu, I didn’t find any. I also looked at the 6F dining room, but didn’t see anything I had to have. While on the subway to Ginza, I remembered that I needed peanut butter. In Ginza, I made a quick stop at Matsuya and bought peanut butter, but they didn’t have any grape juice. I then went to Mitsukoshi. The first shop didn’t have fruit juice. A quick look on B1 didn’t reveal any, and I was unwilling to spend more time looking (I didn’t think of the section with canned & bottled goods in B2), so I headed for Maharajah. I finally tried the mutton biryani, which was excellent. I also had soup and raita. After supper, I went to Kimuraya for goodies. They were out of sesame donuts, so in addition to the chocolate "mushi" cakes [steam cakes, not bug cakes], I bought some mini-madelaines. By then, I figured it was time to head back to Yokosuka and I’m now on the train (got a seat on the kaiso tokkyu [limited express]). And so, back to the barracks.
(1) This route would have been the Keihin Kyuko Line from Yokosuka Chuo Station to Higashi Ginza Station, transferring to the Hibiya Line (subway), and debarking at Hibiya Station.
(2) I eventually found it in Yamano Music in Ginza 4-Chome on Chuo Dori, but was disappointed with it.
28 Aug 1983 (Sun): While wondering where to have lunch, I remembered that I have a coupon from Petit Tomato and so went there for lunch. I had lasagna, wakame salad, and lemon tea. I remembered to mix the lasagna together before eating it and that was it was quite good. The wakame salad was also quite good–and large! It proved to be more than I could eat. My tea was served in one of the plunger devices [i.e., a french press]–an interesting touch. Then I went shopping for food. Because of the demonstration scheduled for late this afternoon, I will be eating supper "in" today. First, I bought some grapes from a street vendor I noticed on the way to Central Mall. Then to Saikaya, where I bought a nice piece of hamachi [young yellowtail] sashimi. Next, I tried to buy one of the "whole fish" sushi(1) at the sushi counter, but they were out. So, I went over to Pompadour, where I bought a package of beef curry, a hard roll to take the place of rice, and a packet of grapefruit jelly. I figured that was enough food and returned to base, buying some juice along the way. It would probably be advisable to bring the sashimi down to room temperature before eating it, in the future. The curry was pretty good.
(1) Evidently a variation of oshi zushi (or oshizushi), an Osaka-style sushi in which a large piece of fish or egg is pressed onto the seasoned rice and then cut into squares. My term "whole fish" was not correct, since only one side of the fish is used, but the skin, etc., from the head is used.
29 Aug 1983 (Mon): I was going to have sushi, but there were people waiting. I wanted to buy juice and figured I could get a quick lunch at Gurabatei, which is also near Seiyu. After lunch, I did have time to go to Seiyu, where I bought a bottle of grapefruit concentrate. After work, I went out to Chuo Station, where I caught the 1704 tokkyu to Yokohama. Lumine was open, so I went there for supper. I was very tired and was having trouble deciding what I wanted, so I forced myself to go to the tonkatsu-ya, where I knew I could get a good meal. I ordered the roll fillet katsu, but on being informed that would take a while, changed my order to the mixed fry. After that, I went to Rainbow Hat for ice cream. The peach ice cream doesn’t have too much taste(1). I got a card, though. Then to the bus stop. Afterward, Sam drove me to the subway station. He was in a hurry and there were no others from Yokosuka there. And so, back to the barracks.
(1) My subsequent experience with other peach ice creams/sherbets/sorbets was that they seldom have much flavor.
30 Aug 1983 (Tue): Today, I did eat at Genroku Sushi. They had something new, plates of tako-su(1). I tried it and it was very good. I also tried some kind of shellfish for the first time. It was tasty. After lunch, I went to Kangaroo for a couple of small spiral-top notebooks to use in Japanese conversation class. Then, for a payday lunch dessert, I got a pudding-cake goody from Fujiya. I learned the answer to one old question. The "ue" in "chichiue" I heard in the samurai dramas isn’t an obsolete particle, but was part of the word as used by the samurai class. I also asked the sensei why the particles "wa" & "e" are written "ha" & "he". She said that before the Meiji era, they were written both ways and when the language was standardized, the latter forms were chosen. However, this doesn’t explain why they were chosen. For supper, I went to Shi Sen again. The gomoku chahan(2) was delicious. The "fish" in the "deep fried fish" was mediocre, but the "salad" part was tasty. And so, back to the barracks.
(1) Pieces of boiled octopus, lightly vinegared. Hey, I like it! I also like kaki-su, which is raw oysters the same way.
(2) The dish is more or less what Chinese restaurants in the USA would call "combination fried rice".
31 Aug 1983 (Wed): I forgot to buy bagged tea yesterday, so I wanted to do it today. I didn’t want to overdose on fish, so Genroku Sushi was out. Fujiya is close to Seiyu, so I went to Fujiya for the hamburger steak madras. The vegetable garnish isn’t very good, but the ツ‘burger, sauce, & rice make a tasty lunch. I forgot to buy the herb candy [at Fujiya, on the way out], but I can buy that this evening even if I have a late supper. I did have time to go to Seiyu for tea. They don’t have a large selection of cereal, but they do have the Japanese muesli, so I bought a box and a bag of cheapie Pasco donuts for the office. I got off work an hour early. I used the extra time to do laundry. Itツ’s a good thing I had the extra time, because even with it, I didn’t get out for supper until about 1900. As I had planned, I went to the tenpura-ya at Central Mall(1). I had tenpura seiro (matsu), which is essentially what my Eating Cheap in Japan calls tenzaru(2), a fancier version, though. What with the weather the way it is, I didn’t mind the cold noodles. It makes a very tasty meal. I didn’t have dessert out, because I wanted to start eating the grapes I bought. However, I did buy some herb candy at Fujiya. The grapes are delicious! No seeds, either.
(1) I later realized that although the restaurant had tenpura dinners on the menu, it was primarily a soba restaurant.
(2) Soba "served on a bamboo rack in a lacquered box. One of two deep-fried shrimp tempura and sometimes vegetables are arranged on the side." Notice the use of soba!
Top Bottom