What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Japan cult member nabbed after 17 years on the run

Davey

Reaction score
TOKYO – A member of the doomsday cult behind a deadly Tokyo subway gas attack and other crimes turned himself in to police after 17 years on the run, an official said Sunday.A Tokyo metropolitan police official said Makoto Hirata, a member of Aum Shinrikyo, conspired with several other members in kidnapping a notary official in 1995 and causing his death. The victim, Kiyoshi Kariya, then 68, was the brother of a follower trying to quit the group.Hirata, 46, who had been on the run since the summer of 1995, turned himself in at a Tokyo police station and was detained early Sunday, the police official said on condition of anonymity.The cult also released sarin nerve gas in Tokyo's subway system in 1995, killing 13 people and injuring more than 6,000 in Japan's deadliest act of domestic terrorism...

Public broadcaster NHK said Hirata told police he wanted to "put the past behind him." He was carrying a travel pack containing minimal daily necessities and had Japanese currency worth several hundred dollars in his wallet, it said.

Nearly 200 members of the cult have been convicted in the gas attack and dozens of other crimes. Thirteen, including cult guru Shoko Asahara, are on death row. No one has been executed.

Japan cult member nabbed after 17 years on the run - Yahoo! News

Wish there where more criminals like him that turn themselves in like this. I do wonder if his punishment be reduced because of this?

I also wonder what they will do with the other 13 members that are on death row.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
The statute of limitations was 15 years (maximum) at the time of his crimes and it is doubtful he can be charged with any of them.

The statute of limitations on murder charges was recently eliminated, but I don't know if that was retroactive or not. If not, he is probably as free as a bird.

KirinMan

Sempai
Reaction score
I also wonder what they will do with the other 13 members that are on death row.

I think that eventually these will either die in prison of a quick stop after a short drop, or of natural causes. I would think that the word parole is not in their lexicon either.

Top Bottom