What's new

Japan - Concerns and Queries

MySweetYossie

Bernard S
18 Apr 2006
Hi Everyone

I have always wanted to visit Japan, and i think its a wonderful place. As a "bright eyed" first time visitor to Japan and my extensive surfing on the Internet many concerns, i have found i feel need to be addressed and hopefully you can all help me.

How much Japanese do you actually need to know to get by as a Tourist? (Likewise, how much do you need to know if you actually lived there?)

What is it like getting through the Airports, most importantly, *Narita*, *Kansai* and Haneda? Are the facilities there good enough for your average Tourist?

What happens if you do get lost? And is it easy to get lost? How much Japanese do you need to know to ask for help, would you need to know much Hiragana or Kanji to be able to get around. And could you rely on any Japanese people if you, indeed, did not speak much Japanese.

What is it like trying to order in a Resteraunt especially one that is not westernised or any other similar situation. Do you need to now much Japanese, especially if you are not in a resteraunt in Tokyo, for example Kyoto or Kamakura.

What is the public transport Like and how would the experience of Travelling from Narita to Kamakura and Kansai To Kyoto be? How easy is to get tickets without a Japan Rail Pass. Are the Ticket collecters nice 😊 ?

If you are going to live there, what Qualifications do you need to get a Job in a Japanese or western corporate company, dealing with I.T or anything associated, that would have a decent pay? How would you get into working with TV, editing, dubbing, translating etcetc.?

How welcoming are the Japanese, especially if you are going to Live there. How easy is it to get Housing, TV, electricity, water, basic amenities?

And, Finally 😌 How is Japan for you? How did you find settling in, you job there, new friends and such, and what you can do in Japan and what it is entertaining there.

...and if you have any more information, it would be more than welcome.

Thankyou so Much! 🙏

MySweetYossie said:
Hi Everyone
I have always wanted to visit Japan, and i think its a wonderful place. As a "bright eyed" first time visitor to Japan and my extensive surfing on the Internet many concerns, i have found i feel need to be addressed and hopefully you can all help me.
How much Japanese do you actually need to know to get by as a Tourist? (Likewise, how much do you need to know if you actually lived there?)
What is it like getting through the Airports, most importantly, *Narita*, *Kansai* and Haneda? Are the facilities there good enough for your average Tourist?
What happens if you do get lost? And is it easy to get lost? How much Japanese do you need to know to ask for help, would you need to know much Hiragana or Kanji to be able to get around. And could you rely on any Japanese people if you, indeed, did not speak much Japanese.
What is it like trying to order in a Resteraunt especially one that is not westernised or any other similar situation. Do you need to now much Japanese, especially if you are not in a resteraunt in Tokyo, for example Kyoto or Kamakura.
What is the public transport Like and how would the experience of Travelling from Narita to Kamakura and Kansai To Kyoto be? How easy is to get tickets without a Japan Rail Pass. Are the Ticket collecters nice 😊 ?
If you are going to live there, what Qualifications do you need to get a Job in a Japanese or western corporate company, dealing with I.T or anything associated, that would have a decent pay? How would you get into working with TV, editing, dubbing, translating etcetc.?
How welcoming are the Japanese, especially if you are going to Live there. How easy is it to get Housing, TV, electricity, water, basic amenities?
And, Finally 😌 How is Japan for you? How did you find settling in, you job there, new friends and such, and what you can do in Japan and what it is entertaining there.
...and if you have any more information, it would be more than welcome.
Thankyou so Much! 🙏

How much Japanese do you need to know to get by as a tourist? Well, take your right pointing finger and take the tip of it and touch the tip of your right thumb. You will then see a space between them. That's exactly how much Japanese you'll need to know. Many signs are in Roman letters, so you can read some of them.

Getting lost is easy, especially if you don't have a good map with you. Especially in Tokyo, a map is essential. But you can check with a police box and they can steer you in the right direction.

The transit system is tops. The people who work at the stations are friendly and helpful.

MySweetYossie said:
How much Japanese do you actually need to know to get by as a Tourist?
Technically none, although the more you know, the closer any Japanese you talk to will feel to you.
MySweetYossie said:
(Likewise, how much do you need to know if you actually lived there?)
Not a whole lot if you just want to get by, but as I said earlier about the Japanese feeling closer to you....
MySweetYossie said:
What is it like getting through the Airports, most importantly, *Narita*, *Kansai* and Haneda?
I don't really know a whole lot about Narita or Haneda (been to both just once, and I was in a sleepy haze, also my Japanese wife did all the navigating and talking), but Kansai isn't so difficult to find one's way around in. Lots of signs in English and such.
MySweetYossie said:
Are the facilities there good enough for your average Tourist?
At least in Kansai they are excellent.
MySweetYossie said:
Japanese police are helpful, and one can usually find a police box somewhere. Some Japanese can speak just enough English to help you out were you to get lost, you could also try asking a shop clerk for directions. Most of them would be enthusiastic to help you out, and I'd say you could get the idea of what they were trying to say even if neither of you spoke the other's language most of the time.
MySweetYossie said:
Restaurants with the dishes displayed in the windows, or with pictures on the menu are excellent restaurants for tourists to go to.
MySweetYossie said:
Are the Ticket collecters nice 😊 ?
Usually civil and helpful.
MySweetYossie said:
If you are trying to get an apartment without the help of an employer, it can be a bit challanging, as some landlords are leary of renting to foreigners. As to the others, I can't say for sure, but I think TV, electricity, water, gas, etc are not so difficult to get.

*A landline requires a large amount of money upfront, a lot of single young Japanese are forgoing the landlines and just using cellphones (some cells have English menu options).
MySweetYossie said:
And, Finally 😌 How is Japan for you?
In my six years here, I've found Japan very comfortable, however every person reacts differently, and some foreigners who have been here longer than I are just stressed out about some what I would call minor cultural differences.

One more thing, packets of tissue can a lifesavers, as some station bathrooms never have toilet paper.

Revenant said:
One more thing, packets of tissue can a lifesavers, as some station bathrooms never have toilet paper.
Not to mention they're given out freely at almost every place you walk comming out of or near any train station.

My housemate knows absolutely no Japanese, and seems to survive alright, just makes for interesting situations that I can laugh at later on :)

Of course learning Japanese makes things a whole lot smoother,

Back
Top Bottom