What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Request Izakaya, Restaurant and Eatery help

yamcha

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been to Japan a few times and will be going again in April to Tokyo.

I am requesting for favorite izakaya or any other restaurant suggestions, please. Preferably places with English menus with pictures would be appreciated. Whenever I go there, I am kind of stuck to chain restaurants since I don't speak or read Japanese. Any suggestions would be great, I like exploring!

Thank you.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
You can find a few suggestions here:

Guru Navi listings do not indicate whether eateries have English menus or not, but they allow you to make reservations in English:

yamcha

Kouhai
Reaction score
Thank you very much, thomas! I will be looking through the links. I am actually looking for any personal favorites. I guess an Eglish menu might not be required but at least pictures and a place that is ok for gaijin. I am very open to back alley or residential eateries too.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
When my brother visited with his wife (they both don’t speak Japanese) they never had difficulties, even at places without English menu, because the staff or other guests were usually quite helpful. And it was a good way to get in touch with the locals. :)

If I remember any particular places I’ll post them here.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
Try Andy's Shin-Hinomoto in Yurakucho:

It's a traditional, under-the-train-tracks izakaya in Yurakucho (one stop from Tokyo station) run by a British fellow who married the daughter of the original founder. Really neat ambience and a favorite among expats, with great seafood, sake, and anything else you could want.

edited to add: If you're interested in more off-the-beaten path destinations, particularly those with good sake menus, let me know. It's a personal interest of mine and I'd be happy to offer some recommendations. ;)

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
bentenmusume - I was about to recommend the very same place. I had my wedding 二次会 there!

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
edited to add: If you're interested in more off-the-beaten-path destinations, particularly those with good sake menus, let me know. It's a personal interest of mine and I'd be happy to offer some recommendations.

Although this isn't my thread (forgive me, @yamcha), please do share your recommendations! :)

yamcha

Kouhai
Reaction score
Try Andy's Shin-Hinomoto in Yurakucho:

It's a traditional, under-the-train-tracks izakaya in Yurakucho (one stop from Tokyo station) run by a British fellow who married the daughter of the original founder. Really neat ambience and a favorite among expats, with great seafood, sake, and anything else you could want.

edited to add: If you're interested in more off-the-beaten path destinations, particularly those with good sake menus, let me know. It's a personal interest of mine and I'd be happy to offer some recommendations. ;)

Oh, sure that would be great. I don't know much about sake but I like it. Oden is great too.

An izakaya run by a British guy? Sounds interesting but I wonder if that would make the vibe strange?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
Oh, sure that would be great. I don't know much about sake but I like it. Oden is great too.

An izakaya run by a British guy? Sounds interesting but I wonder if that would make the vibe strange?

Not strange at all and probably better. For my wedding party, there were no time limits, unlike the timed-to-the-minute parties at most places in Japan with the staff politely but persistently telling you to get a move on once the time is up. We were also allowed to go behind the bar and serve each other drinks - that would never happen in a 'Japanese' establishment! I have taken numerous Japanese and non-Japanese friends and family there and nobody has commented on a strange atmosphere.

yamcha

Kouhai
Reaction score
Thanks but I prefer a more classy and traditional Japanese experience. Not interested in jumping over the bar and pumping draft beer into my mouth from the tap or going serving my friends without them paying. I can get that experience in any hooligan bar in England after a football match.

Limits and refinement are important to me and the Japanese.

yamcha

Kouhai
Reaction score
Any quite neighborhood izakaya would be great. I can just say "omakase" if they don't have English. I am just looking for good food and a cozy atmosphere.

Top Bottom