What's new

It's election time again......yaaay.....not!

Mr Man

先輩
2 Apr 2007
Well, the local politicos are at it again, jockeying for position in the mad competition to stamp their names into the brains of every self aware creature within a kilometer radius of them, by trying to appeal to anyone or anything be it an actual Japanese of voting age or a dog. Vans with huge speakers mounted on top crawl through every street of every neighborhood, blaring the shrill and obnoxiously loud squawkings of their hysterical name-screamers, as white gloved hands wave madly from windows like royals on PCP.
You gotta love the Japanese and their invasive sales tactics, but I wonder how many people who've been shocked from their peaceful slumber or have had to pacify terrified babies are going to remember those names with any kind of affection.
Nothing would be more satisfying for me, than to drop a large chunk of reinforced concrete through the windscreen of one/all of those vans as they pass beneath my window. My thoughts are usually along the lines of, " Watanabe Saburo?? #%&##!!`@!! WATANABE SABURO MUST DIE!!!!!! Please have an unfortunate navigational glitch involving you, and a 100 foot cliff, Watanabe Saburo!!"
Last year I swear the woman screaming for her "Souka Gakkai" candidate was actually crying his name by the last day, so swept away by the passion of it all, she had gone through the entire spectrum of emotions any human is capable of, repeating the mantra of her candidate's name until she either reached nirvana or had a brain aneurysm. Next time they come round I'm gonna get my wife to hold up our nine month old daughter after she's slobbered her way through a pack of natto or something, and get her to shout, "Hey, if you're a real politician, kiss this little angel!!"

Your thoughts?

Some things never change.

They did the same thing back in 1970 & 71 when I was in Fukuoka. Guess they never give up?

Uncle Frank

😊

It's crazy if you ask me, it the first time I see politicians like that.

They drive around in cars waking you up in the morning with their megaphones, and stand in the way in front of the station. Please know that they way you do this annoying for a lot of people (whom don't do anything about it :()

Apparently in order to vote in Japan, you have to write your candidate's name on the ballot, so these people ride around screaming the candidates' names in hopes that their candidate's name will be ingrained into your psyche, and the only one you remember when you go to the polls.

Not only the names, but I've heard arigatou gozaimasu and yorosiku onegai itashimasu enough time in this past week to last me a lifetime. It's even worse with those -- they aren't unique to each candidate. The one I like the least is Nakamura Sannosuke. And I have the same thoughts about him as Mr Man has about Watanabe Saburo.

Back
Top Bottom