What's new

is yoshinoya selling their beef bowl in japan now?

I haven't been to a Yoshinoya for quite a while, but I did stop at a Sukiya in Kawasaki the other day and they had beef. (Along with Yoshinoya, Sukiya and Matsuya are the three big gyuudon chains.)

Matsuya also has the beloved beef bowl, and has had it back on their menu for some time.

Yoshinoya, to the best of my knowledge, has not yet, but will soon reintroduce its venerable beef bowl, perhaps as soon as next month or maybe March.

Are you sure it was the beef bowl of lore, and not that replacement "gyuu-yakiniku-don" thing that they came up with?

Here's a link to the official Yoshinoya website with their official word on the reintroduction of the celebrated beef bowl. (Sorry if you don't read Japanese!)

http://www.yoshinoya-dc.com/news/051214.html

Japan Stops U.S. Beef Shipments Again
Japan halted the import of U.S. beef Friday after animal spines were found in three boxes of frozen beef at Tokyo International Airport and asked U.S. officials to explain what happened.
Yoshinoya Puts off "Gyudon" Restart as U.S. Beef Banned Again
Yoshinoya D&C Co. said Saturday it will delay putting "gyudon" beef-on-rice dishes back on the menu after the Japanese government again banned U.S. beef imports Friday.
USDA comment
Related thread

Last edited:
i dont care if they use cat/dog i love that place. .it taste good and its cheap.. lol

Where's the beef?

Mikawa Ossan said:
Are you sure it was the beef bowl of lore, and not that replacement "gyuu-yakiniku-don" thing that they came up with?
Here's a link to the official Yoshinoya website with their official word on the reintroduction of the celebrated beef bowl. (Sorry if you don't read Japanese!)
http://www.yoshinoya-dc.com/news/051214.html

It wasn't the traditional beef bowl, but it was a bowl of beef on rice with other stuff in it. It definitely had beef.

ArmandV said:
It wasn't the traditional beef bowl, but it was a bowl of beef on rice with other stuff in it. It definitely had beef.
Yeah, it must have been the gyuu-yakiniku-don thing. It is beef, there's no denying it. But it's still different from the original gyuu-don of fame which everyone is making such a fuss over.

OK, well in all honesty I had not yet eaten the new gyuu-yakiniku-don, so for the sake of science, I went to Yoshinoya for lunch today, and I tried it out! With you in mind, of course!👍

So, here is the answer: they are actually quite different!

Oh yes, they are both thinly sliced beef served on top of a bowl of rice, but that is were the similarities end.

Gyuu-don beef was sliced thinner and was more tender than the beef they use in the yakiniku-don. Also, the way it is prepared is very different. Gyuu-don at it's heart is very simple to make. Just marinate the beef in dashi, sugar, soya sauce, and sake. Add onions, and whola!

Yakiniku-don uses yakiniku sauce, which is spicier, and tastes nothing like actual gyuu-don, which has a milder flavor.

To get an idea of what the old Yoshinoya gyuu-don was like, I suggest you try going to Matsuya, a rival chain, and trying their gyuu-don. I think they call it "gyuu-meshi" there, though. It's not quite the same as the old Yoshinoya gyuu-don of days gone past, but it's a similar flavor.

Yeap, my favourite meal during my student days was gyuu-don large size and I added lots of tongarashi. Still ate this during my business trips back after working but have not been eating so much in recent years as the taste is not so great any more since the beef ban and new menu. Somehow the taste of the gyuu gravy is not so delicious...The gyuu-don is definitely a life-saver for most budget conscious consumers and a waste to see it disappear.

Mmm...

Thank goodness the many Yoshinoya branches in Hong Kong never stopped selling gyudon ever, which use local beef.

Does anyone know what they use to marinate the beef? There's definitely shoyo, and likely mirin and dashi. Anything more? I've seen recipes online but they always seem to miss the mark on the flavoring side of the marinade.

Serves 2
200g sliced beef
1 onion
2 cubes beef tallow, you can usually get it for free at supermarkets here.

For tare sauce
300cc water
40cc soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar (1tbsp for rubbing beef)
100cc white wine
1 tbsp sake
1/2 tsp salt for rubbing beef
1/2 tsp ginger, grated
1 pinch garlic powder
Cooked rice as you like, namimori, ohmori, or tokumori

Chop finely 1/4 onion
Cut the rest of onion
Rub the beef with salt and 1 tbsp sugar
Brown the chopped onion with beef tallow in a pan
Add wine and sake and boil them
Prepare and add the tare, and place 1/2 of onion until tender in the pan
Put and boil the beef and the rest of onion till the beef turns its color
I have yet to eat the gyudon at Yoshinoya, but try this recipe. It has 94% yoshinoya taste.

I had some Yoshi-gyuu for the first time in years today. Apparently they are only selling it for 5 days this month, and another five days next month. I don't know about any plans for after that, but that's what the posters at the Yoshinoya I went to said.

As a consequence of the fear of mad cow disease and a ban on imports of American beef, Yoshinoya and most competitors were forced to terminate gyudon sales in Japan on February 11, 2004. The Japanese Diet voted to resume beef imports from the United States in early May 2005 but the ban was reinstated in January of 2006 just as the beef began arriving in Japan.
(link: wiki)

Can someone please explain why it was that Yoshinoya couldn't make their gyudon with Japanese beef??

Another 'return of gydon' article: here

Because Japanese beef is very expensive.
Yoshinoya's sales points are:
1) tastey
2) fast
3) inexpensive

I don't know if their gyuudon is really good or not but they serve you the dish quickly and the price is low for sure. If they used the Japanese beef, their gyuudon would be no longer that inexpensive.

If they used the Japanese beef, their gyuudon would be no longer that inexpensive.
And I suppose that Japanese beef is expensive for the same reason many things are expensive in Japan, due to tarrifs, taxes and excetera to keep the economy affloat...

I'm on a cooking furry now, so my next dish is gyudon, I've been reading recipies everywhere, and now including pipokuns...

Wish me luck ;)

I heard the other day that either Yoshinoya or Matsuya has been rationing the beef by only selling it five days a week. Has anyone else heard about this?

I heard the other day that either Yoshinoya or Matsuya has been rationing the beef by only selling it five days a week. Has anyone else heard about this?
I had some Yoshi-gyuu for the first time in years today. Apparently they are only selling it for 5 days this month, and another five days next month. I don't know about any plans for after that, but that's what the posters at the Yoshinoya I went to said.
You might say that I have heard of it.

Back
Top Bottom