What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

is this the right way to say this?

kumakuma

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I am new to this forum and also just starting to teach myself Japanese. I bought a textbook and am working through it. In the listening comprehension section I am not sure if I am hearing something right. It is a girl introducing her friend to someone.
It sounds like: たけしさん、私のともだちのクリステイです

Am I hearing it right. I would have assumed one would us the particle "は" instead of the second "の." I thought that it might be "も" instead. Like she was telling Takeshi that Christy is also her friend.
SO I guess my question is: is saying "watashi no tomodachi no Christy desu" the correct way to say "This is my friend Christy"

Razahia

先輩
Reaction score
Don't quote me on this as I am a learner as well. But wouldn't the second no indicate that this classmates name is Christy. As in ともだちのクリス is the classmate is Christy? But to be honest I feel like it should be 私のともだちの名前はクリステイです

Could be wrong. Maybe the first is more casual.

Again, don't quote me.

nekojita

先輩
Reaction score
(こちらは) 私のともだちのクリステイです
(this is) my friend, Christy.

This presumes that her friend is standing next to her or something getting introduced. BTW if it's pronounced like Agatha Christie it would be クリスティ, small i.
[MENTION=60792]shenrais[/MENTION] Your sentence is not grammatically wrong, but it's not a way to introduce someone to another person. It's fine if you are describing your friend to someone when she's not there. "My friend's name is Christy."

Razahia

先輩
Reaction score
(こちらは) 私のともだちのクリステイです
(this is) my friend, Christy.

This presumes that her friend is standing next to her or something getting introduced. BTW if it's pronounced like Agatha Christie it would be クリスティ, small i.
[MENTION=60792]shenrais[/MENTION] Your sentence is not grammatically wrong, but it's not a way to introduce someone to another person. It's fine if you are describing your friend to someone when she's not there. "My friend's name is Christy."

Ah alright. Thanks

Top Bottom