What's new

is this right?

Tomii515

やった~!
16 Feb 2006
こんにちは。トミーです。ペンシルバニアに 北米合衆国に 生きる。13歳 今です。誕生日は 5月 15日でした。日本語が 習いたい。日本語が 少し 話します。男の子と 女の子 日本は 話したい。(8 - 15歳) あなたの 返事で メールよ。べイ べイよ。

Hey. I'm Tomii. I live in Pennsylvania in the U.S.A. I'm 13 right now. My birthday was May 15. I want to learn Japanese. I speak only a little Japanese. I want to talk to boys and girls from Japan. (Ages 8 - 15) I'll be waiting for your e-mail! Bye!

(hopfully most of it is right...if it's all right, ill be amaxed.. even if some its right, ill be proud of myself because i did it all by myself will help from ppl for translating the word "e-mail")

Tomii515 said:
こんにちは。トミーです。アメリカ合衆国のペンシルバニアに住んでいます13歳です。誕生日は 5月 15日でした。日本語が習いたい。日本語少し 話します。日本人の男の子と 女の子話したい。(8 - 15歳) メールを待っています。バイバイ
There are some problems in word order, also particles, but you did it quite well for a beginner.
Corrections I made is marked in red. Hope it helps.

こんにちは。トミーです。アメリカ合衆国のペンシルバニアに住んでいます。今13歳です。誕生日は 5月 15日でした。日本語が習いたい。日本語を少し 話します。日本人の男の子と 女の子と話したい。(8 - 15歳) メールを待っています。バイバイ。
----
ok. im glad i did good. Umm, this part "あなたの 返事で メールよ。" i jusdt relized it wasw rong because yesterday i was trying to figure out how to say e-mail ro reply...and when i was erasing things i erased the verb and put reply and e-mail XD. "メールを待っています" = "meeru o matte imasu." right?

If you're going to keep on giving your threads almost identical subject lines (despite people having begged you to stop), could you at least number them or something?

example:

Is this right? #87
Is this right? #88
Is this right? #89

Tomii515 said:
こんにちは。トミーです。アメリカ合衆国のペンシルバニアに住んでいます。今13歳です。誕生日は 5月 15日でした。日本語が習いたい。日本語を少し 話します。日本人の男の子と 女の子と話したい。(8 - 15歳) メールを待っています。バイバイ。
----
ok. i'm glad i did good. Umm, this part "あなたの 返事で メールよ。" i just realized it was wrong because yesterday i was trying to figure out how to say e-mail ro reply...and when i was erasing things i erased the verb and put reply and e-mail XD. "メールを待っています" = "meeru o matte imasu." right?
The only parts I would have questions about are the sentences ending abruptly in たい. I know it sounds good like it's a kid talking :p but does not having the desu or to omoimasu endings keep a very nice stylistic flow with the rest of the paragraph ?

Elizabeth said:
The only parts I would have questions about are the sentences ending abruptly in たい. I know it sounds good like it's a kid talking :p but does not having the desu or to omoimasu endings keep a very nice stylistic flow with the rest of the paragraph ?

i'm not really sure what you're talking about... and whats "omoimasu?"

~と思います(おもいます) = "I think...", except you put it at the end of the sentence, not at the beginning.

For example:

「私はもっともっと日本語を勉強しなければならないと思います。」
わたしは もっともっと にほんごを べんきょうしなければ ならない とおもいます。
"I think I need to study Japanese more and more."

more "Is it right?"s o.o''

Hi, I'm also a beginner, trying to learn japanese alone _ _". Well, since I saw this thread I thought I could use it for my question since it is an "is it right" question. 😌

あなたの名前は何であるか。 (What's your name?)

私は愛する。(I love you)

これを読むことができるか。(Can you read this?)

日本語を話すか(do you speak japanese?)

私は日本語を調査する。(I study japanese)

そしてあなたのか。(and yours?)

そしてか。(and you?)

So, are they correct? 😅

I use translators to get the sentences and use tables to identify the kanjis and the hiragana. Also, I read some lessons from a japanese site. Hope I'm in right path, hehe.

(Also, I don't understand the difference between dearu and desu, please explain to me D:).

Kaian88 said:
Hi, I'm also a beginner, trying to learn japanese alone _ _". Well, since I saw this thread I thought I could use it for my question since it is an "is it right" question. 😌

No problem there. :)
Kaian88 said:
あなたの名前は何であるか。 (What's your name?)

である is a formal written version of だ/です. It isn't used in speech for the most part, except for a few instances in relative clauses, but since you're a beginner, it would be best to forget about it for now. This sentence would be made better by changing である to です. Also, since you're asking this to someone, you can leave out あなたの. You can also make it more polite by saying お名前. So, お名前は何ですか. You could also leave off the end, and just say お名前は?

Kaian88 said:
私は愛する。(I love you)

From what I understand about Japanese culture, they don't say this. Anyway, the way to say it would be to drop 私は, since it will normally be understood that you're talking about you doing the loving, and change する to している, so that you get 愛している. If you want you can add 君(きみ)or something like that to explicitly state "you," but chances are that they'll know you're talking to them.

Kaian88 said:
これを読むことができるか。(Can you read this?)

Fine, if you're talking to a friend, although somehow I prefer これが読める? The more polite version of yours would be これを読むことができますか.

Kaian88 said:
日本語を話すか(do you speak japanese?)

Nothing really wrong with this one, but it's a bit stiff. To make it less stiff drop か. To make it more polite change 話す to 話します.

Kaian88 said:
私は日本語を調査する。(I study japanese)

調査する is used for investigating something. The verb you want here is 勉強する. Also, I think it's better to have it as 勉強している to show that it's an ongoing thing. As said before, you can drop the 私は if it's clear you're talking about yourself. So, 日本語を勉強している. The more formal version is 日本語を勉強しています.

Kaian88 said:
そしてあなたのか。(and yours?)

I don't really know what you're trying to say here.

Kaian88 said:
そしてか。(and you?)

Again, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say, but if it's something like "I'm fine, and you?" then you probably want あなたは? But I will warn you now that using the so called second person pronouns in Japanese is tricky, and it's always better to use the person's name if you know it, and you should also use their title (or just their title) if they are a superior instead of any of the "you"s.

I hope that helps. :)

Kaian88 said:
窶堋サ窶堋オ窶堙??堋?窶堙遺?堋ス窶堙娯?堋ゥツ。(and yours?)
Might want to give an example sentence in english. That why we can better understand what you are wanting to say.

Generally, instead of saying 愛している, Japanese people are more prone to saying 「so-and-soが好き(すき)です。」 or 「so-and-soが大好き(だいすき)です。」, since they are less intense than 愛している is.

Speaking of love, I read that traditionally Japanese only expressed love through metaphor in poems and the like, so that they would talk about the moon or the dew on the grass in the morning or something like that to express love for each other. Because of that, when Western books were being imported and translated during the Meiji Period, they had to invent a way to translate the phrase "I love you" into Japanese. I thought that was really interesting.

My girlfriend says 愛してる all the time to me. Probably more dependant on the strength of their feelings and the person.

Yeah, I'd say it depends on the person too. Age plays a big factor as well. I think the younger the person the more likely they'll say 愛してる, but I'm still not sure how widespread it is. I think it's best to play it safe until you really become intimate with the person.

Arigato Gozaimasu :(
It really helped a lot! Thank you Glenn-san, Damicci-san and doinkies-san.
I count on you on helping me. I don't have any friend or person I know that speaks japanese. Hehe ^_^, thanks again!

doinkies said:
~と思います(おもいます) = "I think...", except you put it at the end of the sentence, not at the beginning.

For example:

「私はもっともっと日本語を勉強しなければならないと思います。」
わたしは もっともっと にほんごを べんきょうしなければ ならない とおもいます。
"I think I need to study Japanese more and more."

ok...ummm....what is "勉強しなければ"

The more polite version of yours would be これを読むことができますか.
Is this really just a matter of polite, though ? Somehow I had it in mind that the できる form made a statement stronger or more emphatic (or was a little childish as I was instructed at one point as well...) 😊

Elizabeth said:
Is this really just a matter of polite, though ? Somehow I had it in mind that the できる form made a statement stronger or more emphatic (or was a little childish as I was instructed at one point as well...) 😊
There's nothing wrong with Glenn's statement. It's quite ordinary to ask "...dekimasuka" to mean "can you...?" or "are you able to....?"

"Dekimasuka" is more polite in the sense that "dekiruka" lacks politeness.

ok...is ~なければならない a formal or informal...or does it matter?

Tomii515 said:
ok...is ~なければならない a formal or informal...or does it matter?

It's formal, Tomii.

Informal forms:
~しなくちゃならない
~しなくちゃだめ~
How you use it depends on the situation. :)

epigene said:
There's nothing wrong with Glenn's statement. It's quite ordinary to ask "...dekimasuka" to mean "can you...?" or "are you able to....?"
"Dekimasuka" is more polite in the sense that "dekiruka" lacks politeness.
Thanks, Epigene ! I'm really sorry if it came across like I was discrediting the use of "dekimasu" or "dekimasuka" ? or anyone's explanation. :) It had always just been a question exactly what the point of difference was with the potential form -- in this case between これが読めますか?or これを読むことが出来ますか?Perhaps nothing very vital and both are fine and quite normal. 😅

I've heard that the former is considered more sophisticated, I believe, due to it showing the speaker's lack of knowledge of how to form the potential form.

Also, the former can be used to ask for permission, while the latter cannot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom