What's new

Is this how you say 'I love you?'

JDubG

Sneaky Ninja Assassin
19 Jun 2004
Is this how you say 'I love you'?

Wagahai ai yu.

I have been studying the Kanji dictionary software I have. Is the words said above correctly written?

That ain't no japanese any which way you look at it.

The Japanese have not really had a custom of saying "I Love You." And it's only been after being influenced by American culture that they've been aware of such expression. I read one time that after WWII one of the reasons why Japanese women sought American GIs to date was because they had never been told "I love you" before and an American would say that to them.

If you want to literally translate it, it would be "Watashi wa anata o aishite imasu." But it just sounds so corny, again, because they don't have a history of using that phrase.

My advice to you, if you should find a Japanese person you wanna say that to, is to go ahead and say it in English. Any Japanese person alive these days would know what that means, and they would appreciate it more if you said it in English than in some contrived, corny Japanese translation.

Hope that helps.

It is very difficult to translate the meaning of "I love you" into Japanese, in fact I have given up myself. Because there just is no exact translation, at least not at my skill level.

It seems to be one of the most common questions, and one of the hardest. There are many different ways to speak of love, but often it seems to be of specific types. The American version of the word doesn't quite translate.

I could be wrong though... I'm still new :p

OK. Thanks for helping. So 'Wagahai' does not mean 'I' and 'ai' does not mean ' love' and so on? Thanks!

Ai IS the "concept" of love, so you aren't incorrect on that.

Golgo's way of saying it includes ai as well, you may just not have seen it.

Watashi wa anata o aishite imasu

Watashi wa = The topic of what you speak, yourself in this case. Watashi means "I" and wa is a relational, something you will need to study on.

Anata o = object being acted on. Anata = you, and o is another relational. It shows that the word previously is being affected.

aishite imasu = the very, and action. Aishite is loving, and imasu means to exist. Ai is love, shite is do. Hmm, I'm not very good with verbs yet :)

Hope this helps somewhat. If you really want to learn about japanese language though, you're not going to get anything from a kanji dictionary without months of japanese study before hand.

Alright, thanks. If this dictionary really won't help with sentences or phrases, what would you recommend?

JDubG said:
OK. Thanks for helping. So 'Wagahai' does not mean 'I' and 'ai' does not mean ' love' and so on? Thanks!

That's a very archaic way of saying "I". Nobody uses that anymore unless they're being facetious or in a Samurai movie.

JDubG said:
Alright, thanks. If this dictionary really won't help with sentences or phrases, what would you recommend?

Your friends on this forum, which is what you did. 👍 👍 👍

JDubG said:

You had a "yu" in there which made it look un-Japanese. "yu" is hot water in Japanese. :D :D :D

Hey guys, I really appreciate it. Arigatou!

:D I did not know that Golgo_13!

意思さん: "あや!山田さん?"
山田さん: "はい。 こんばんは意思さん。 私... 私は..."
意思さん: "なに?"
山田さん: "私はゆのあいです!"
意思さん: "あの、今そろそろ行きます..."

One very important lesson in learning Japanese @JDubG . Always ALWAYS know exactly what you are saying before you say it. It can lead to some very... "bad" things if you don't.

Humorous for everyone else, but very bad for you :)

Yeah, thats what I want to do. By the way, what is this saying that you wrote?

JDubG said:
Yeah, thats what I want to do. By the way, what is this saying that you wrote?

It is a humorous skit or comedy of errors.

Hey! Mr. Yamada?

Yes. Good evening is you. I, I ...

What?

I am U love is!

Er ... Well I'd better be going now ...

No problem. After all, learning from your mistakes is perhaps the best way to learn. 👍 :D

If I may add, Japanese people don't normally use the word aishiteru for i love you.

They often say " dai suki yo" which has a deeper meaning than suki yo which is like in English. It can also mean favorite as in:

watashi wa ringo ga dai suki na no! (I love apples)

cricket said:
If I may add, Japanese people don't normally use the word aishiteru for i love you.

They often say " dai suki yo" which has a deeper meaning than suki yo which is like in English. It can also mean favorite as in:

watashi wa ringo ga dai suki na no! (I love apples)

A japanese (woman) friend said me "we say 'ai shiteru'". But later, I read that "ai shiteru" was used by women.

When I watch japanese dorama, they say like you here. Actually, I've listened to "daisuki da" or "suki desu" ^o^. (but never listened to ai shiteru for now).

Back
Top Bottom