What's new

Question Is this actually Japanese?

26 Oct 2018
A friend wrote this on the back of my car. She swears that it is Japanese, but refuses to translate it. I am hoping someone can tell me if it is Japanese and if so, what it says
thank you in advance
japanese.jpg

バニラ
猫(?) カゼ(?)
バガ(?)ニ

I've got "vanilla" at the top; that's the only one I'm sure about.

Maybe "wind" or "common cold" (as in, the illness) in the middle on the right. The second character actually looks more like 七 with a 点々, but that wouldn't make any sense; you can't have a dakuten on kanji.

At first the thing on the left looked like random nonsense to me, but if you flip it over, it kind of sort of looks like 猫 (cat), I suppose. So that would be my guess.

The bottom one, again, actually looks more like バ九ニ but with a 点々, which kanji never have (and plus that would be an odd position for a kanji), so maybe that's supposed to be ガ? Bagani? That's not a Japanese word, but maybe it's supposed to be a name or something.

So in summary, I've got:

Vanilla
cat(?) wind(?)
bagani(?)

I haven't a clue what message your friend is trying to get across with that. Maybe someone else with more knowledge than me can figure it out.

A friend wrote this on the back of my car. She swears that it is Japanese, but refuses to translate it. I am hoping someone can tell me if it is Japanese and if so, what it says
thank you in advance
The right half of the second line could be カビ kabi "mold/mildew", but anyway, only this word and the first line "vanilla" are the ones that make sense, and the rest are just gibberish written by someone who actually doesn't know Japanese. (I'm a native Japanese speaker, by the way.)

Thank you both for your response! I have as little follow up information. I got her to tell me what it "means". According to her it's supposed to say VANILLA WAS HERE. Which obviously it's not. I'm gonna attach the original picture for maybe better content information?
20181026_125811.jpg

Thanks for the followup. What she wrote still doesn't make sense. Only the "vanilla" part is correct as far as I can tell. What are her qualifications?

as far as qualifications, she is self taught. i know absolutely nothing
Incidentally, what was the actual sentence she wanted to write in Japanese? I suspect that the sentence itself doesn't make sense as a Japanese sentence, not just letters/characters.

Incidentally, what was the actual sentence she wanted to write in Japanese? I suspect that the sentence itself doesn't make sense as a Japanese sentence, not just letters/characters.

her original sentence was VANILLA WAS HERE, which doesn't translate well
バニラはここにいた
according to google

Last edited:
her original sentence was VANILLA WAS HERE, which doesn't translate well
My question is what her original Japanese sentence was; the one that was not translated well.

i guess so, but that is obliviously not whats written on the window. and since the picture really isnt clear i guess ill never know
It's not just "unclear". Most letters/characters are not even Japanese ones (just gibberish, as I wrote) in the first place.

My question is what her original Japanese sentence was; the one that was not translated well.

sorry for the miss understanding. honestly im not sure since i dont know what the characters are. also the typed message at the bottom of the picture according to (again google) banira was tachi kyu
バニラは田舎だった

how would you right VANILLA WAS HERE in kanji, if possible?

Last edited:
The romaji sentence written there "Banira was tachi kyuuuuu" doesn't make sense at all, and the google translate of it is non-sense, either, of course. (Incidentally, バニラは田舎だった means "Vanilla was rural.")

The correct translation of "VANILLA WAS HERE" is バニラはここにいた, as Majestic-san confirmed. ここ and いた can be written in kanji in this sentence (此処 and 居た, resectively), but these words are usually written in hiragana. This is not what she wrote, anyway.

She didn't say anything about what she actually wrote (or wanted to write)?

well i guess im going to have to really pry it out of her, if i ever find out ill post again
thank you to everyone that replied

Eh, I thought it made more sense as something about a cat named Bagani who caught a cold from eating tainted vanilla.

I kind of wonder what her "self-taught" source was.

thank you in advanceView attachment 27737
Japanese speed tribes or sort of young gangs used to leave a message "we are here" or "I am here" on a wall, a street and etc..
They used to write " ~~~ 見参!" or "~~~参上!"
Your friend's writing seems a bit like バニラ見参、the shape of 見 almost looks like, but 参 seems to be totally come apart.
These phrases, 見参 and 参上 are also popular in some Japanese comics, so your friend might have tried to draw the shape of these Kanjis. This is my guess.

Back
Top Bottom