What's new

Question Is this a valid kanji combination?

千ぜロ

3 Aug 2017
Hi,
I was trying to use kanji to write the name Kevin. I found 袈便. Would that be a valid way of writing the name Kevin?
Also, Google translate says that the above means honesty, but I have not been able to corroborate this on websites like Jisho. Does it really mean honesty?
Thanks

The normal way to write the name "Kevin", and any other foreign name, is with katakana: ケヴィン or ケビン. "袈便" isn't a word or a name. It means nothing (in Japanese, at least).

I assume you were planning on getting a tattoo? At least, that's usually what people asking these sorts of questions are after.

The normal way to write the name "Kevin", and any other foreign name, is with katakana: ケヴィン or ケビン. "袈便" isn't a word or a name. It means nothing (in Japanese, at least).

I assume you were planning on getting a tattoo? At least, that's usually what people asking these sorts of questions are after.

Thank you, this was very helpful.
I can imagine that most people would ask this for tattoos :). Not in my case though, I just wanted a nice way to write my name (when communicating via text in Japanese) that was a bit more meaningful than straight up katakana. I'll stick to katakana though ;).

PS: I wonder how many people are walking around with meaningless tattoos because of google translate XD.

Back
Top Bottom