What's new

Is there any special considerations for college?

19 May 2007
Like the topic title says, Is there any special considerations for foreigners when entering college? I am seriously thinking about trying to get into medicine, but going the normal route would take so long I am not sure it is worth it. I just want to know if anyone has any info or contact where I could speak to someone about any exemptions.

Thnaks

What do you mean by normal route?
What kind of special considerations are you hoping for?
Are you saying that you want to enter a University without taking any entrance exam?
Just confused on what you meant by normal route and special consideration.
Since for some people the normal route is the exchange student route. For me, my normal route is I need to take the Entrance Exam the same that other Japanese took, cept that I need to take one extra Special Japanese Language Exams. Some other people normal route, they only have special exams and interview for foreigners only. Some people gets recommendation from their Japanese Language school and go straight into University with just one interview.

If you want to enter a University you just need to send your application and pass their entrance exam and some other requirement for foreigners. Don't think it will take that long, just probably need to wait till next year since this year is a bit too late already. Most University have requirements specially for foreigners (probably). You just need to ask them.

Last edited:
What I mean ny the normal route is taking the entrance exam that the Japanese take and then hope that that score can compete with 3000 people going for the only 20-30 spots available for medicine in each college. Why I say it will take too long is that I will probably need to take the exam 5-6 times(obviously once a year) to get a high enough score to be accepted.

When I say special circumstances, is there a way get around this entrance process like getting accepted in a college outside Japan and then apply for a transfer to Japan? Obviously there will be need for tests, but I was hoping there was a way that was easier than what your typical Japanese go through.

It was my understanding that foriegners are granted leaniency with entrance exams or was I mistaken?

What I mean ny the normal route is taking the entrance exam that the Japanese take and then hope that that score can compete with 3000 people going for the only 20-30 spots available for medicine in each college. Why I say it will take too long is that I will probably need to take the exam 5-6 times(obviously once a year) to get a high enough score to be accepted.
Yes, if you're thinking of going to those hard to enter university, like OsakaDai, KyoDai and sorts. And those kind of University really don't have any leniency whatsoever towards foreigners. But if you are going to University like Ritsumeikan etc, theres definitely some sort of leniency towards foreigners. Like the test is more easier the the one the Japanese takes.

First, do take the EJU test administered by JASSO. If you did really well on that, some university will let you in with just an interview and document screening.

Second, since I only took the Japanese language school(that have somekind of University Shinkgaku course) route and have experience in it, I do recommend you to take that route. They have wealth of info on Universities(including special circumstances like school recommendation, those recommendations usually comes with a easy entrance + scholarship), so you can probably choose what University you want to enter from there.

anyway,
JAPAN STUDY SUPPORT (JPSS) has information on universities, graduate schools, and scholarships for studying in Japan

When I say special circumstances, is there a way get around this entrance process like getting accepted in a college outside Japan and then apply for a transfer to Japan? Obviously there will be need for tests, but I was hoping there was a way that was easier than what your typical Japanese go through.
I'm from a country where transferring/exchange student route to Japan doesn't really exist so I can't shed any light on this. Some other people might have some good info tho.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom