What's new

Is there a high number of mental illnesses reported in Japan?

Japan Forum > Japan Forum > All Things Japanese > Personal stories

Personal stories Write about your experiences in Japan.

Let's try to post things under their appropriate sub-fora. It helps keep the place tidy.

Last edited:
Funnily enough all three of your posts grabbed my attention PandaBearDragon.
I would be interested to read more about your experiences and insights regarding Japan.

RK

Thanks Ultraman

I think this is an interesting subject.
Mental illenss is rarely talked about openly in Japan.
It carries an stigma that most people would rather avoid.

At least in America, mental illness is the fourth largest cause of death by suicide. American people have recognized that needs to be dealt openly and that there is no shame.
It's not the patient's fault.

Depression can now be treated with anti-depressant drugs, even some early stages of Schizophrenia can be cured by medications.

I hope that many Japanise begin to recognize this issue as a serious issue and talk about it openly.

What is your opinion?

Why should Japanese society talk about mental illness openly?

What is broken here?

I like the fact that people make an effort to be normal here.

Do you know a mentally ill person PandaBearDragon?

Thanks Ultraman
At least in America, mental illness is the fourth largest cause of death by suicide. American people have recognized that needs to be dealt openly and that there is no shame.
Depression can now be treated with anti-depressant drugs, even some early stages of Schizophrenia can be cured by medications.
I hope that many Japanise begin to recognize this issue as a serious issue and talk about it openly.
What is your opinion?
Considering your first post, I wonder what knowledge or experience gives you license to speak with any authority on this subject...

Thanks Ultraman

What is your opinion?
I beg to differ, there are many programs that address the problem of mental illness. I know quite a few people from companies who employ mentaly ill or disabled people, so I don't know where your facts are comming from? Sure it may not mimic the states, but it is different over here.

I also have quite good friends who are doctors and specalize in this area of medicine, they are not psychologists but doctors that treat mental illness.

Thanks Ultraman

What is your opinion?

I wonder what your criticism is based on. Did you do any research on the net, or read some statistics?? Where did you get the idea that in Japan the metal illness is taboo and people suffering from it are not taken care of?

One of my colleagues who is a very good friend suffered depression a few years ago, she did go to doctors and we often talked about it quite openly.
Clinics, hospitals and doctors of ツ心窶氾??愿?窶ーテ shinryou-naika (department of psychosomatic medicine) are easy to find here, and mental illness is not a taboo.

Back
Top Bottom