What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Is the Kyoto Protocol "flawed"

highlight

Mr. Sparkle
Reaction score
I was listening to a debate here and once again heard about the agreement being flawed and just googling the phrase brought many articles and points of view. I'm interested in the subject so if anyone has some insight or opinion on it I'd like to hear it. My opinion is it's a great idea and holds country to much needed standards for solving our climate problem but I don't have much info on the subject so I my opinion is limited.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
the debate here? what are you referring to?

Ewok85

先輩
Reaction score
I think he means "here on the internet", here.

The main argument I have seen is that Kyoto is not just about greenhouse gas emissions, it also has economic effects, it does not include countries like India and China (pre-developed countries) despite their own high emissions, and that the changes proposed by Kyoto will have negligible effect on temperature.

The upside is it has people thinking about climate change, and at the very least its a step in the right direction. Personally its more of a publicity thing, and serious change will not come from Kyoto, but somewhere else.

highlight

Mr. Sparkle
Reaction score
Well actually the debate I was talking about was one on t.v with Republicans here in the states but I think didn't think it was important to mention. Thanks for the input.

basuotoko

先輩
Reaction score
The Kyoto Protocol is dated by today's standards. Like Ewok said, it definitely has problems such as not holding countries such as India and China accountable for their high emissions. We can hear on the news almost daily about new measures being sought after to find ways to lower greenhouse emissions. But personally, I'm tired of hearing about all of it. Nobody really knows for sure that global warming is caused by mankind and even if it is, there isn't a whole lot that can be done to stop it.

Top Bottom