What's new

Is that the only meaning for "taberu"?

As far as I know, yes. Perhaps you can post a place where it might mean something else?

I know of at least one more meaning. It can mean metaphorically to support one's living expenses.

EX) You expect me to eat on these wages?!?
この安給料で食べられるとでも思うのか?

As always, my translation is not to be taken literally.

I guess it's worth mentioning that you can "taberu" gum, which sounds a bit weird in English.

Mikawa Ossan said:
I know of at least one more meaning. It can mean metaphorically to support one's living expenses.

EX) You expect me to eat on these wages?!?
この安給料で食べられるとでも思うのか?

As always, my translation is not to be taken literally.
I think maybe this should be "Yasui kyuuryou de tabete ikeru to demo omotte iru no ka?" At least that is a sample dictionary sentence as I remember it. 😅

This is just a wild guess, but I've heard young Japanese use "taberu" (actually, "kuu" (食う)) to refer to sexual conquests.

(I have a feeling I made an identical post before, or am I just getting old... )

Yep. In Densha Otoko(a popular(?) j-drama), one of the female cast always uses "食う" as "to give head/blowjob". For example, she says something like "あのさ、部長を食っちゃったけどさ、そんなにちいさいってだいきらい。"

Sorry if this is too perverted. :sorry:

Elizabeth said:
I think maybe this should be "Yasui kyuuryou de tabete ikeru to demo omotte iru no ka?" At least that is a sample dictionary sentence as I remember it. 😌
Wow. I came up with a sentence from a dictionary! I guess it just proves that if you do put an infinite number of monkeys on an infinite number of typewriters, you will eventually get the complete works of Shakespeare!

Just some thoughts. Although it certainly COULD be the sentence just as you posted it, I take issue that it SHOULD be the sentence as you posted it.

That implies that there is only one correct way to say something, and that is rarely the case, my friend.

Mikawa Ossan said:
Wow. I came up with a sentence from a dictionary! I guess it just proves that if you do put an infinite number of monkeys on an infinite number of typewriters, you will eventually get the complete works of Shakespeare!

Just some thoughts. Although it certainly COULD be the sentence just as you posted it, I take issue that it SHOULD be the sentence as you posted it.

That implies that there is only one correct way to say something, and that is rarely the case, my friend.
Sorry if it seems I came across as critical as it appears I may have. I have no particular preference for one over the other, although I also asked a friend over the phone in the meantime who corrected it to "tabete ikeru" -- or perhaps I misunderstood him as well which is very possible. :p

Back
Top Bottom