What's new

Is Onsen really therapeutic?

JerseyBoy

Back in town
31 Dec 2005
While I am searching the web for the scenic drive in Japan, I noticed some of the scenic roads (Hakone, the Venus Line, and Karuizawa) are right next to the hot springs. I am not really into the public bath; but, I heard there are some heath benefit by taking the hot spring because of the variety of minerals in the water.

Is there an empirical evidence that the hot springs provide the positive health benefit? Some hot spring-equipped hotels claim theirs heal your muscle pain, smooth your skins, promote the better blood circulation, and others.

There seems to be "standards" by Enviroment Ministry of Japan in 1982, however, the standard itself is based on medical lores and heuristics, they decided to re-verify the benefits of hotspring.
New standards are to be formulated this year, according to the article by Yomiuri Online.

Related articles (in Japanese language)

窶ーツキツ静イ窶堙固津ク窶廃窶堙?津ク窶拿
http://www.pref.aomori.lg.jp/hi-hoken/seikatu/onsen.html

窶ーツキツ静イ窶堙固津ク窶廃窶堙ー窶ーテ闇?w窶廬窶堙俄?板ァツ湘伉、ツ坂?塲椎塚?ウ窶堙「ヒ?昶?凖療。窶。ツ、ニ椎?ニ脱ニ筑ニ蛋窶堙嫁津ク窶ーテ岩?堋?窶堙ィ
【更新】温泉の効用を科学的に立証、高血圧や胃かいよう、リウマチに効果アリ - ガベージニュース(旧:過去ログ版)

窶ーツキツ静イ窶堙固津ク窶廃ツ、窶ーテ闇?w窶廬窶堙嫁椎クツ湘伉.ツ.ツ.25窶堙銀?堙ア窶堙披?堙ィツ(窶廳窶ーナセツ湘? ナ?テョツ鞘ぎナ陳ゥ窶卍シ窶堋オツ)
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/iryou/news/iryou_news/20070203ik04.htm

It seems balneology is based on the unsubstantiated science. Through a quick perusal of the web sites, US FDA issued cease and desist warnings to those who promote the hot spring's therapeutic and healing capabilities as those claims have not been substantiated clinically. It is possible some people believe in the hot spring's medical benefits through whatever reasons that is based on, which promotes health benefits psychologically.

There might be a little bit of both.. :p
Japanese style bath feels great and is really relaxing. I can't really see it having anything but positive effects! :)

In Europe thermal spa's have a long tradition
and history for relaxing and therapy !
The principle is the same !👍

I guess I taken onsen for granted - about two dozen around here within a thirty-minute drive. Some with outside pools overlooking the Central or Southern Alps - with mountain name placards hammered into the ground so you can soak - and swot up on your local geography!

Personally, I've never considered their therapeutic aspects. I just think they're a handy spot to get a really good wash and hang out with a bunch of old men who really ought to try NOT to 'hang' quite so much.

I also go to an onsen when I absolutely, positively, NEED to be asked by complete strangers if I'm from the United States.

--

Although I have no empirical evidence of the therapeutic benefits of hot springs, I have tons of anecdotal evidence. I've found it to be very relaxing and cleansing experience to soak in a nice hot bath. Even more if any of the following conditions are met:

• I didn't have to draw the bath myself
  • The bath isn't just plain water for soaking, but plain water is available to rinse with
  • The spring is natural
  • There's a beer in my hand
  • There's no roof over my head
  • It's significantly colder outside the bath than in.

I can only share my own experiences. I went to Kusatsu onsen last Feb and bathed for 2 days in 4 different "pools". Despite being nervous before going there, I can only say it was absolutely heavenly. The relaxation doesn't come only from the immensely soothing hot water, but also from the beautiful, peaceful surroundings. Everyone in the bath is also so calm, if you go to a bath with other people.
After soaking we did notice our skin was so much smoother, soft and felt really nice.
I definetly recommend it! I might upload some photos from my onsen trip either to the picture gallery or to my profile soon, so if you're interested go and have a look ^^

Back
Top Bottom