What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Is my understanding of these family vocabulary correct?

GoTimeWanGr

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm learning about family vocabulary right now and I have a few areas where I'm not so sure on. I know most of the time you'd refer to a lot of these by their names but I just want to be clear on what their titles are.

I just want to know if my understanding is all correct. Are the following statements correct?

1. When you talk to your granddaughter/grandson, you say, "omagomusumesan"/"omagosan" respectively.

2. When you talk about your granddaughter/grandson to someone else, you say, "magomusume"/"mago" respectively.

3. When you talk to your great-grandmother/great-grandfather, you say, "hiiobaasan"/"hiiojiisan" respectively.

4. When you talk about your great-grandmother/great-grandfather to someone else, you say, "soosobo"/"hiijiji" respectively.

5. When you talk to your great-aunt/great-uncle, you say, "idaina-obasan"/"ooojisan" respectively.

6. When you talk about your great-aunt/great uncle to someone else, you say, "idaina-oba"/"oooji" respectively.

7. When you talk to your great-niece/great-nephew, you say, "idaina-meisan"/"idaina-oisan" respectively.

8. When you are good friends with a married couple, you can refer to the husband as, "danasan".

9. When you talk to your mother-in-law/father-in-law, you say, "shuutomesan"/"shuutosan" respectively. [Or is it giri no okaasan/otousan?]

10. When you talk about your grandparents as a single noun to someone else, you say, "sofubo".

11. When you talk to your grandparents, is there a single noun? As in, if "go ryoushin" is for parents, what is it for grandparents?

12. What is the correct use for the word "oya" (parent)? Something like, "watashi wa oya desu"?

13. When you talk to your step-mother/step-father, you say, "mama-okaasan"/"mama-otousan" respectively (or just drop the "mama"?).

14. When you talk about your step-mother/step-father to someone else, you say, "mama-haha"/"mama-chichi" respectively.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Some are correct, but almost all are wrong. How to address family members often differs depending on the speaker (generation, gender, characteristics, etc.) in the first place.

GoTimeWanGr

Kouhai
Reaction score
Some are correct, but almost all are wrong. How to address family members often differs depending on the speaker (generation, gender, characteristics, etc.) in the first place.
The mistakes in those sentences, are they in the honorifics, right? Apart from the honorifics, what were the words that were wrong?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Besides honorifics, 1)mago is never used to address the speaker's own granddaughter/grandson, 4)hiijiji is wrong, 5, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14 are completely wrong, etc. etc..

GoTimeWanGr

Kouhai
Reaction score
Besides honorifics, 1)mago is never used to address the speaker's own granddaughter/grandson, 4)hiijiji is wrong, 5, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14 are completely wrong, etc. etc..

Well for now I'll just forget about most of them then. But:
1. What is the correct way for the speaker to address their grandchildren?
2. Is their a word for parents in law?
3. Is their a word for step-parents?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
1)
It differs depending on the situation as I wrote (the relation between them, for instance), but calling just their given name with or without -kun/chan would be the most common.

2) 3)
Which are you talking about, a word when addressing them or a word when talking about them with others?

GoTimeWanGr

Kouhai
Reaction score
1)
It differs depending on the situation as I wrote (the relation between them, for instance), but calling just their given name with or without -kun/chan would be the most common.

2) 3)
Which are you talking about, a word when addressing them or a word when talking about them with others?
1) Thanks
2-3 Both

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
2)
when addressing them
father: otōsan
mother: okāsan
parents: otōsan'okāsan

when talking about them
father: chichi, gihu, tsuma/otto no chichi, shūto, gakuhu (only for wife's father)
mother: haha, gibo, tsuma/otto no haha, shūtome
parents: gifubo, tsuma/otto no ryōshin, shūto to shūtome

3)
when addressing them
("Given name-san" is possible depending on the age of the child or relation between them, or even "surname-san" is also possible for step-father when the speaker's mother married with him and changed her surname.)

when talking about them
father: chichi, gihu
mother: haha, gibo
parents: ryōshin

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
And that will vary again depending on who you're talking about them with.

GoTimeWanGr

Kouhai
Reaction score
2)
when addressing them

when talking about them
father: chichi, gihu, tsuma/otto no chichi, shūto, gakuhu (only for wife's father)
mother: haha, gibo, tsuma/otto no haha, shūtome
parents: gifubo, tsuma/otto no ryōshin, shūto to shūtome

3)
when addressing them
("Given name-san" is possible depending on the age of the child or relation between them, or even "surname-san" is also possible for step-father when the speaker's mother married with him and changed her surname.)

when talking about them
father: chichi, gihu
mother: haha, gibo
parents: ryōshin
And that will vary again depending on who you're talking about them with.

That is very helpful. どうもありがとうございました.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
^^ That seems about right, I love Japanese sign language

Top Bottom